What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6pm and I have no idea what we're doing for dinner. And for some reason, I'm not the least bit hungry. But I know what'll be on somebody's lunch plate this week. I picked up a ~2.25lb Prime Eye of Round on Friday. Gave it a healthy rub of Montreal Steak Seasoning this morning, then bagged it and let it sit in the fridge all day. Just put it on the Weber Performer at about 300F with a little pecan and cherry wood. I'm going to cook it to an IT of 125F, then take it off and chill it down in the fridge. Tomorrow, I'll thinly carve it up with the slicer I picked up on clearance a couple weeks ago. Will probably freeze a pound and leave another in the fridge for this week's lunches for me and the boys.

6pm and I have no idea what we're doing for dinner.

I'd be run out of the house at gun point if dinner wasn't on the table by 6pm. Either that or they would pin me down and be chewing on my legs. Now with two Type I diabetics, I have few options when it comes to dinner time.

Had some marinated pork chops that were on sale, some corn from the 10 for $2 batch I bought yesterday, and a bagged salad. Used a new marinate and it was pretty well received. No images because I'm a lazy bastard.

Update: The roast beef came off the grill a while ago and I sliced a little up for QA sampling. This stuff is good! Pretty happy, though I wish I had a little more even cooking. Next time a little more of a rest on the counter before grilling and a lower temp.

Pics are 1) 'naked' before rubbing, 2) with rub this morning, 2) off the grill and resting, and 3) a little slice off the end by hand. I'll put the rest through the slicer tomorrow.

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

I did a couple of slabs of ribs on the new Costco Kamodo, nothing fancy, one Baby Back one St Louis Style. Two different rubs. A Kansas City rub (Famous Dave's) with mustard and onion, a little habanero of course sugar, paprika, black pepper. And then a Carolina Rub with the usual paprika, brown sugar, some chipotle, onion etc. Turned out good. I use the 3-2-1 rib method and always seems to turn out a pretty good rib.

I did a couple of slabs of ribs on the new Costco Kamodo, nothing fancy, one Baby Back one St Louis Style. Two different rubs.

Now that you mention the Kamado grill ($599 at Costco), I saw a pellet grill at Costco too, Traeger, and then went online and checked the Rec Tec grill, man does it look like a cool 'machine' or what...:HB

I saw the Traeger at Costco up in Seattle several years ago. Now they are in all the Clubs and they are selling even selling them at the True Value Hardware store locally in town. I shied away as the reviews were mixed, seems like they had some QA/QC problems, moving parts breaking down plus it was just soo small unless you opted for the largest and then it was as much if not more than the Kamodo Costco sells. The pellets are also expensive IIRC.

Now that you mention the Kamado grill ($599 at Costco), I saw a pellet grill at Costco too, Traeger, and then went online and checked the Rec Tec grill, man does it look like a cool 'machine' or what...:HB

I saw the Traeger at Costco up in Seattle several years ago. Now they are in all the Clubs and they are selling even selling them at the True Value Hardware store locally in town. I shied away as the reviews were mixed, seems like they had some QA/QC problems, moving parts breaking down plus it was just soo small unless you opted for the largest and then it was as much if not more than the Kamodo Costco sells. The pellets are also expensive IIRC.

The Rec Tec seems pretty nice and sturdy, good reviews as far as I can see.

BTW, you can use any wood pellets, the regular pellets run for about $5 for the 49lbs.

I don't know about that. The regular pellets are made from just about any type of wood sawdust, the BBQ pellets are all made from hard woods at least and not pine etc.

BTW, you can use any wood pellets, the regular pellets run for about $5 for the 49lbs.

I don't know about that. The regular pellets are made from just about any type of wood sawdust, the BBQ pellets are all made from hard woods at least and not pine etc.

You could as long as the pellet mill didn't use diesel and such as a die lube and other "strange" additives....otherwise you'll be tasting diesel in the final "product" :):)

Trust me on this one Varis! You DO NOT want to use regular wood pellets in a BBQ Pellet Stove!

You only want to use hardwoods, fruitwoods, and nutwoods. Never pine or any softwoods as they have a lot of turpenes and sap or resin that will absolutely ruin the flavor of your meat.

You could as long as the pellet mill didn't use diesel and such as a die lube and other "strange" additives....otherwise you'll be tasting diesel in the final "product" :):)

Update: got the roast beef sliced up tonight with my new slicer. All four of us gave it an enthusiastic two thumbs up. Tender, great flavor and way, way less than at the deli counter. Next time, I'll trim the exterior fat (thought I'd get more of it to render during cooking), but otherwise, I'm really happy.

IMG_3848_zpsnlomytjw.jpg

Trust me on this one Varis! You DO NOT want to use regular wood pellets in a BBQ Pellet Stove!

You only want to use hardwoods, fruitwoods, and nutwoods. Never pine or any softwoods as they have a lot of turpenes and sap or resin that will absolutely ruin the flavor of your meat.

Roger that. I think you're right....thanks.

Update: got the roast beef sliced up tonight with my new slicer. All four of us gave it an enthusiastic two thumbs up. Tender, great flavor and way, way less than at the deli counter. Next time, I'll trim the exterior fat (thought I'd get more of it to render during cooking), but otherwise, I'm really happy.

And look who's talking about feeding an army....LOL
That looks really good Jim...:HB

Signed up for the Army Ten Miler last week - trying to eat a little healthier. At least for tonight. :D

IMG_3849.jpg

Latest posts

Back