What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To celebrate Jim and Mrs Boatboy's anniversary, I decided to make pizza, something new and different for a Friday night. The wifey is trying to be a moderator between her 1/2 sister and brother over issues with her Dad's estate. I'm much happier being home, drinking a beer, and making a few pizzas.

A GF pizza (1/2 bratwurst and 1/2 bacon), a white sauce pizza (w/pepperoni), a red sauce pizza (extra oregano, some bacon on only one slice and pepperoni on some more) and Dad's pizza, red sauce, mushrooms, bratwurst, pepperoni, bacon and grilled jalapenos incorporated into the sauce, all with shredded mozzerella cheese.

Actually hoping that we can serve the kids a leftover pizza dinner so we can finally go out and enjoy our anniversary dinner (19 never a boring moment years), at either Appalachian Brewery in Gettysburg or Longhorn (wife's favorite) in Hanover, sans kids of course.

5-21-16_GF-pizza.jpg

5-21-16_white-sauce-pizza.jpg

5-21-16_red-sauce-pizza.jpg

5-21-16_Dads-pizza.jpg

To celebrate Jim and Mrs Boatboy's anniversary, I decided to make pizza, something new and different for a Friday night.

Hey! Mrs. Sour_grapes and I had the same idea! We settled for only one pie; however, we really loaded it up. Whole wheat dough, a tomato/pesto/truffle sauce, 3/4 lb shredded mozzerella, sauteed morel mushrooms with shallots and garlic, sauteed artichoke hearts, and Italian sausage. I figured we spent as much on ingredients as we would have spent if we went out to eat for (better) pizza. However, we could only eat half of our piled-high pie, so I guess we actually saved :mny.

Hey! Mrs. Sour_grapes and I had the same idea! We settled for only one pie; however, we really loaded it up. Whole wheat dough, a tomato/pesto/truffle sauce, 3/4 lb shredded mozzerella, sauteed morel mushrooms with shallots and garlic, sauteed artichoke hearts, and Italian sausage. I figured we spent as much on ingredients as we would have spent if we went out to eat for (better) pizza. However, we could only eat half of our piled-high pie, so I guess we actually saved :mny.

That sounds a little high end for the kids pies, but someday I've been told they won't be here anymore and I'd love to try a pie like that!

My dream from yesterday came true, wifey and I will head out for dinner this evening as the kids chow on either left over pizza or possibly ham steaks.

mushroom and beef goulash, home made spaetzle, and creamy cucumber salad.

2014 chilean cab to wash it down!

new star wars movie for entertainment!

life is good.

So I find this recipe for steak Diane, so we decided to make it using venison backstrap. Oh this is a keeper, served Sangiovese with it, the match was perfect!

So I find this recipe for steak Diane, so we decided to make it using venison backstrap. Oh this is a keeper, served Sangiovese with it, the match was perfect!

This is great! Steak Diane, which originated in the US, originally used venison many moons ago. I assume that the name came about because Diana is the goddess of the hunt in Greek mythology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_%28mythology%29 So, it makes perfect sense that your venison steak Diane is a winner! :HB

Tonight's fare was risotto (made with shrimp stock), artichokes (steamed and then grilled), and Lake Trout (cooked on a charcoal grill). I never knew this, but Lake Trout is not a trout, but rather more closely related to (and resembling) salmon. I therefore cooked it like I would salmon, viz., marinate in soy and lime juice, then flash grill over high heat for ~2.5 minutes/side. Turned out scrumptious!

Man, oh, man! Friends came over tonight, so I made jerk pork shoulder, from this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/jerk-pork-recipe.html It was .... awesome! I used 1/2 lb Habenero peppers, and this was plenty hot. I cooked the shoulder about 5 hours on my charcoal Weber on low heat. Tender, delicious, savory, just the right amount of heat. Yummm. Also did grilled corn, cut off the cob, and then smothered with butter and spices (garlic, thyme, cumin, and chipotle). SWMBO made old-fashioned collard greens, and we had a nice salad to boot.

Yeah, but the heat really dissipates during the cooking. Believe it or not, the recipe calls for A FULL POUND of SCOTCH BONNET peppers (including seeds)! So my measly half-pound of seeded habeneros was relatively tame. (Our guest of the fairer sex is not very heat-tolerant.)

I marinated the shoulder over night. Before cooking, I brushed off most of the marinade. Then on a low-and-slow grill for hours, and very little of the real heat remains. Enough that you knew it was there, but not ridiculously hot.

Last night, I tasted the straight marinade, and it was (a) Delicious, and (b) Pretty danged hot! I think it would make a delicious hot sauce with a bit of vinegar. I did get a little bit of straight habenero on the end of my thumb, and I can still feel the heat 20+ hours later!

Last edited:
I did a whole pork tenderloin that I marinated in blackberry syrup, some apple cider vinegar and (2) habanero peppers. Cooked it low and slow on the smoker pit. It was TOO hot to eat for everyone and even I was gulping water at the table. The marinade gets put into the blender to pulverize for a short bit. I can't imagine a half pound of habanero! Maybe they are not as hot in WI...... :)

Yeah, my marinade was blended in a Ninja blender to a uniform consistency. Not sure what to tell you....

Wait, I know what to tell you! Try that recipe, but cook it low and slow on your kamado! It is a really nice dish! You can thank me later. It is really, really good.

Yikes! I like spicy food but that sounds like a lot of heat to me, Paul.

Also, a tip I learned in the Far East when eating very spicy foods; Don't drink water to ease the discomfort! Water will do nothing to remove the capsaicin oil from your mouth or gullet. The best remedy I found is to eat a slice of bread with honey on it. The honey seems to soak up the oil so that you no longer "feel the burn." (Sorry, could not resist that!)

I did a whole pork tenderloin that I marinated in blackberry syrup, some apple cider vinegar and (2) habanero peppers. Cooked it low and slow on the smoker pit. It was TOO hot to eat for everyone and even I was gulping water at the table. The marinade gets put into the blender to pulverize for a short bit. I can't imagine a half pound of habanero! Maybe they are not as hot in WI...... :)

Did you include the seeds and the ribs? That's usually the hottest part.

We call that a Sopapilla here in NM! LOL

1443477654_ThinkstockPhotos-465530890_t1070_h2d63b87b8b02bd7dcc2aa07d0af883c292f989b9.jpg

The best remedy I found is to eat a slice of bread with honey on it. The honey seems to soak up the oil so that you no longer "feel the burn." (Sorry, could not resist that!)

Latest posts

Back