What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight was a orange, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and soy sauce marinaded duck breast with a red wine reduction sauce and fresh steamed green beans drenched in a garlic butter with sauteed shallots.

Due to a chaotic incident from a neighbor, the duck got slightly overcooked. (146F rather than 135F) :( On the plus said, it was still very tasty, just not quite as juicy as it should have been.

I paired with with a 2012 Goldeneye Pinot Noir.

OCX8OasXNp2wtM2MMcBLppj6xioymoeZYQ5_M4w_iNLMPcDbapj2gQXiRBCkpgqSRuypriO4rVTyv9WA5KNS2VCtUpI-FIFutE5PsVd5YEwAwSrZ5DNECDk86PzCPqod3h9G34zaqLWYmoDA_nwztRFGWQmcuIY4uvY6GqiupZ5_vGbR2xmobcPnXx5iSNpGIaoYy0CAQs6vPXCGoRxn3ykTnXsHxANG8ft-Ed4eOsbI_bK6YdZz3zpE1aChlqaFq4qWMmV_AKF_83XiWUCbbMl-xSJ45jcGWPfdbIyDeTc8hkAEPC-O0x_jurYqPFryckJzh09QMYHsy8dDKVIFrLV0VrgfjrXaowpvIBpyRC5fyTkQs50l6YRNirDre4Lnmji1QxqTaOF3bd_DMKDuukhFyjxLmdD7Lc7h-z1X9LrEZUmKIoZCtxXbf9ujHMvrmy38Vt9HcdJyNtfK3xB_eoa-hKeDJvsRvXEV_FLv8JW_TqD8FkvEQQQSSTGIdzOgt02O3a64AY2YLKNHzJh2V0O5kzk62699tw2_lCVeDRhVI-IMcRiVX64kfh_4V3zJXt8IEMQWrz3NTlyYF3sNXBVZt2AzM0eT=w1306-h979-no

Tonight's dinner is Trader Joe's $16.99 Amarone. We were at a birthday party late afternoon and they had pizza. So my dinner was early - now I'm washing it down with a second course.

Tonight was a orange, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and soy sauce marinaded duck breast with a red wine reduction sauce and fresh steamed green beans drenched in a garlic butter with sauteed shallots.

Due to a chaotic incident from a neighbor, the duck got slightly overcooked. (146F rather than 135F) :( On the plus said, it was still very tasty, just not quite as juicy as it should have been.

I paired with with a 2012 Goldeneye Pinot Noir.

OCX8OasXNp2wtM2MMcBLppj6xioymoeZYQ5_M4w_iNLMPcDbapj2gQXiRBCkpgqSRuypriO4rVTyv9WA5KNS2VCtUpI-FIFutE5PsVd5YEwAwSrZ5DNECDk86PzCPqod3h9G34zaqLWYmoDA_nwztRFGWQmcuIY4uvY6GqiupZ5_vGbR2xmobcPnXx5iSNpGIaoYy0CAQs6vPXCGoRxn3ykTnXsHxANG8ft-Ed4eOsbI_bK6YdZz3zpE1aChlqaFq4qWMmV_AKF_83XiWUCbbMl-xSJ45jcGWPfdbIyDeTc8hkAEPC-O0x_jurYqPFryckJzh09QMYHsy8dDKVIFrLV0VrgfjrXaowpvIBpyRC5fyTkQs50l6YRNirDre4Lnmji1QxqTaOF3bd_DMKDuukhFyjxLmdD7Lc7h-z1X9LrEZUmKIoZCtxXbf9ujHMvrmy38Vt9HcdJyNtfK3xB_eoa-hKeDJvsRvXEV_FLv8JW_TqD8FkvEQQQSSTGIdzOgt02O3a64AY2YLKNHzJh2V0O5kzk62699tw2_lCVeDRhVI-IMcRiVX64kfh_4V3zJXt8IEMQWrz3NTlyYF3sNXBVZt2AzM0eT=w1306-h979-no

I love duck. But my wife is repulsed by it. So the only time I get to have it is when we happen to be at a restaurant that serves it. Very envious of your meal - especially considering I had Dominos at a kids birthday party for dinner tonight. :D

Had a line of T-storms pass through, was about the time that dinner would have been cooking on the grill, so I opted for an "indoor" meal. Did get to sear the ground beef (made into a big pattie) on the grill to add some flavor, and cooked up a batch of ragú. Wifey used some cut up broccoli from last nights party for the vege, and spruced up a cheap loaf of bread for some garlic bread (with some cheese added for fun). Nice meal that everyone ate, which is rare around these parts.

6-5-16_cooking.jpg

6-5-16_garlic-bread.jpg

6-5-16_spagetti.jpg

I love duck. But my wife is repulsed by it. So the only time I get to have it is when we happen to be at a restaurant that serves it. Very envious of your meal - especially considering I had Dominos at a kids birthday party for dinner tonight. :D

I found this recipe for a roasted duck with a blackberry sauce that sounded incredible. I intended to try that, but I forgot the blackberries. I had an orange, so I went with the orange marinade instead. I just wish I hadn't overcooked it. :(

Made up some turkey taco meat for the kids to have tacos. Did the front lawn (though the ground still wet from this mornings rain). Ended up popping my inner tube in one of the back tires on my tractor (spun a tire, oh joy, it's 23 yrs old and starting to show it's age), so I stopped mowing and decided to make a good quickie meal for me and my wife...chicken and broccoli, yum!

Some soy sauce, ginger, carrots, red onion, shallot, leek, green onions, broccoli and chicken served on some brown rice.

6-8-16_stir-fry-1.jpg

6-8-16_stir-fry-2.jpg

its very savory but since it's Tex-Mex I had to doctor mine to New-Mex standards with some extra heat. My folks loved it. I hadn't made this recipe for 20 years or more since I escaped......

its very savory but since it's Tex-Mex I had to doctor mine to New-Mex standards with some extra heat. My folks loved it. I hadn't made this recipe for 20 years or more since I escaped......

Can that recipe be googled? I want. And just tonight after his baseball game, my son asked me to make beer can chicken soon. So I'll have some leftovers to use.

Sure, lots of them. The King Ranch is the largest working ranch in Texas and supposedly this recipe originated from there. The tomatoes with green chile is always a can of Rotel tomatoes which you should be able to source almost anywhere these days.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/king-ranch-chicken-casserole

Can that recipe be googled? I want. And just tonight after his baseball game, my son asked me to make beer can chicken soon. So I'll have some leftovers to use.

Some updates and some food!

First, as I mentioned, back in March I decided to embark on an experiment to eat a largely whole foods (minimal processed), high carb, low fat vegan diet. I literally increased the amount of food I was eating by almost three fold. I eat an abundance of rice, pasta, beans, lentils, fresh vegetables, fruits, etc. etc. I am never hungry and have more energy than ever before.

After three months, I have lost almost 25 pounds. This morning I put on a pair of pants I haven't worn in 4 years. I feel great. My concentration has sharpened. And I'm accomplishing more with work and the winery.

I used to think calories were calories. But I don't have to count anymore. Clearly I am eating more but storing less. So, the type of calorie does make a difference (key is low fat with carbs).

I know it's a hard choice for many. It was for me in the beginning. But it actually was easier than I imagined. Anyway, I still want to drop another 50 pounds or so, so I will continue on this path for the time being.

It's especially great because I can eat so many different foods and actually taste them!

Like this vegan Pad Thai I made the other day:

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

Sure, lots of them. The King Ranch is the largest working ranch in Texas and supposedly this recipe originated from there. The tomatoes with green chile is always a can of Rotel tomatoes which you should be able to source almost anywhere these days.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/king-ranch-chicken-casserole

Rotel is a staple in all my Tex-Mex dishes. I've always got cans of it. Their Cilantro Lime (Mexican Style) is great too. When I make my Chicken and Chorizo Cilantro Lime pizza, the Cilantro Lime part is nothing more than draining a can of it and sprinkling it on top!

Way to go Greg! I would join you except I HATE, HATE, HATE the taste of beans and lentils and (especially) tofu.

When my dad was a teenager, he apprenticed to a butcher in Germany. Consequently, our diet has always been "meat-centric". I just can not imagine being able to do without.

Although, that is not to say that I could not avoid red meats... HMMMMM....

Latest posts

Back