What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Blue Apron in quite a while. ;)

http://www.weber.com/recipes/poultry/chicken-breast-salad-with-mixed-melon-salsa

I have several Weber cookbooks and have done as many recipes from their site. I've never been unhappy with any of them.

This was very good. I'd pump it up a bit with a little more heat (less removal of rib from the jalapeño) and maybe a splash of white vinegar in the salsa for a little zing. Otherwise, very good. Lots of dicing/chopping though.

Lots of dicing/chopping though.

I believe there is a device to help with that!

$T2eC16h,!zoE9s5ngyKQBSJYCGiz5Q~~60_1.JPG

This is my favorite "slicing and Dicing" machine - J. A. Henckel..

- Has only 1 moving part.
- Can be kept sharp for the remainder of your life (if you know how).
- Has NO PLASTIC PARTS! (or at least the ones I have)
- is by far the most compact and portable
- clean up is a breeze (just one swipe with a damp cloth
- is every bit as fast as any other machine on the market (if you know how)
- can be adjusted to slice/dice to any size.
- can be used to open a beer
- is the perfect garlic peeler and carrot peeler.
- removes avocado pits in one easy motion.
- can also be used for home defense!

This is my favorite "slicing and Dicing" machine - J. A. Henckel..

In our house we only allow people to use our Henckels once the guest has been briefed on the very short list of "Don'ts" for them.
- steel them before every use (I'll do that for them)
- only use on a wood cutting board
- never leave on the counter when not in use
- never let it see the inside of a dishwasher or sink

it's amazing how many people think a 15 year old paring knife that's been stored in a silverware drawer and never been sharpened is "sharp", they tend to end up wounded when using one of our knives.

Mike

Have been searching around for Lo mein type recipes since my son keeps bringing me home some from his work, where his boss, the chef, makes a mean shrimp lo mein type dish. I've asked him several times which noodles she uses and what the basic components are to the sauce. So I did a few internet searches and came up with this dish. A little too much soy sauce, but otherwise delicious. Used chicken because I'm frugal with my funds.

Need to go to Wegmans and look for alternatives to the noodles I used, I like a thicker noodle (so it absorbs more of the goodies). Will be able to make this GF for my youngest son by doing the dish in two different cooking vessels, everything in this image is gluten free except the noodles (I can use GF spaghetti or rice noodles in his batch).

6-16-16_stir-fry-noodles.jpg

They say nobody cooks anymore. I guess I did not get the memo. Grilled Tri Tip served over a bed of romaine, baby arugula, radicchio, red onion and served medium rare with a dressing of red wine vinegar, EVOO, lemon juice, honey, S&P. Some Gorgonzola as well. The secret to good Tri Tip, don't over cook it or it gets tough as shoe leather. Went very well with a bottle of my 2012 El Prisionero blend.

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

In our house we only allow people to use our Henckels once the guest has been briefed on the very short list of "Don'ts" for them.
- steel them before every use (I'll do that for them)
- only use on a wood cutting board
- never leave on the counter when not in use
- never let it see the inside of a dishwasher or sink

I would also add...

- NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER scrape the sharp edge sideways across the cutting board. The impulse is to do this to move the sliced product out of the way. This will both dull and ruin the edge.

- Tell folks that this is an $80 knife that you have kept sharp for 20 years. Then ask if they would prefer a Ginsu.

- In fact, never let anyone use your knives (at least the good ones).

- Never refer to a Ginsu as a knife. It is not a knife. It is a saw.

I am with you on the steel. If you do not know what you are doing, this will ruin an edge quicker than anything else.

They say nobody cooks anymore.

I hear you. I was lucky to have a European grandmother that was a farm girl and cooked everything! To her, for example, the first step in making a cake was to measure flour an not "open the box". She did not even know that boxed cake mixes existed.

I remember how stunned she was when I showed her a microwave oven for the first time. She was absolutely gob smacked how it could turn a stale cold roll into a warm and steamy one in just 10 seconds. What really astounded her was the interior walls of the oven were room temperature afterwards.

"How did you do that??" she gasped. "Magic" I replied.

I spent the next year fearing that my Grandmother believed that I was the Antichrist.
:)

They say nobody cooks anymore. I guess I did not get the memo. Grilled Tri Tip served over a bed of romaine, baby arugula, radicchio, red onion and served medium rare with a dressing of red wine vinegar, EVOO, lemon juice, honey, S&P. Some Gorgonzola as well. The secret to good Tri Tip, don't over cook it or it gets tough as shoe leather. Went very well with a bottle of my 2012 El Prisionero blend.

Tri Tip is probably my favorite cut of beef. Just wish it were more available around here.

Steamed lobster is on the menu tonight outside on deck of course!
What I need is a suggestion for pairing that with wine? I know SWHMBO will want Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc, but I am thinking maybe a Rose?
Any quick thoughts?

Steve

A good dry Rose' is never a bad idea this time of year.

What I need is a suggestion for pairing that with wine? I know SWHMBO will want Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc, but I am thinking maybe a Rose?
Any quick thoughts?

Steve

Any quick thoughts?

Steve

I agree with @ibglowin. But a good Chardonnay would work as well. I think I'd go unoaked though.

Taking one from Mike's playbook tonight and doing steak salad (flank though - no tri tip :( )

Now thinking ahead to Sunday Father's Day I have a 9 lb pork shoulder that is going on the Weber Smoky at about 4:30-5:00 in the a.m.along with rack of ribs

Steve

Taking one from Mike's playbook tonight and doing steak salad (flank though - no tri tip :( )

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Friday, it must amaze you but we made pizza. I do have pictures of all of them, but you have seen them many times. So I will post but one, my pizza, grilled to perfection, with "pulled" chicken thigh meat, green peppers, some onion hidden under the cheese, mozzarella, pepperoni and some shaker type red pepper flakes for fun. Crust really did a nice job getting light and puffy, the edges were over 1 1/2 inches thick, with a nice underlying crunch for the bottom (I think forgetting the grill was on high for 20 minutes helped, it was incredibly hot when I pitched the pizza). Was really delicious with a cold Labatts Blue or two.

6-17-16_dads-pizza.jpg

Friday night, Pizza night!

"Ho made" pizza dough from our organic local farm. Detroit style pizza with pepperoni, Italian blend cheese, Italian sausage, marinated artichokes, red bell pepper, red onion, kalamata olives, and last but not least Kirkland Signature Cheve cheese! :hug

Went amazingly well with my 2013 Tuscano de Rojo Super Tuscan blend! :db

IMG_1205.jpg

Latest posts

Back