What to use to TOP-UP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loumik

Reaction score
I have 3 gals of Blueberry/Pomagranate wine that has finished clearing but has left too much head space. I know you would normally use a similar wine but I don't have any fruit wine of any kind. I plan to bulk age this wine for 6 months and I was wondering if it would be OK to go ahead and make an f-pac from the Old Orchard juice I used to make the wine and add it and back sweeten before I bulk age the wine?

I believe it will take about a pint to a pint and a half to fill the carboy to the neck. The wine tastes great already and I don't want to add water and delute it. The ABV is almost 11% so I don't think adding juice or inverted sugar will lower the Alcohol much.

Any suggestions or better ideas will be appreciated.
LOUMIK:a1:?

Hey Lou, any chance of downsizing to (2) one gallon and (1) half gallon jugs. Even if you had to go out and buy them it would be a great investment for future uses also.

I only have a single 1 gal. jug empty at this time and I don't know where I would get more on short notice. To the best of my knowledge there are no wine and beer supply businesses in North Dakota. All of my equipment and supplies have to be ordered. That's why I was thinking about topping-up my carboy. That would have been a good solution to my problem though. Maybe I should order some more gal. and 1/2 gal jugs for future use.
Thanks Runningwolf, I'll look around the house and think about your suggestion.
LOUMIK

Lou not knowing how long you have been short like this, I believe if your sulfite levels are up where they should be you would be ok to call in an order and get your bottles within a week and be ok to rack over.

I purchased enough clear glass marbles that I've washed and keep in pint jars filled with K-Meta solution that are just for that purpose. I've used them on a couple of carboys I either didn't want to use a different wine to top off with or didn't want to go buy wine just for that purpose. They work great, take up the space and raise the level in the neck and are reuseable upon emptying the carboy.

I purchased enough clear glass marbles that I've washed and keep in pint jars filled with K-Meta solution that are just for that purpose. I've used them on a couple of carboys I either didn't want to use a different wine to top off with or didn't want to go buy wine just for that purpose. They work great, take up the space and raise the level in the neck and are reuseable upon emptying the carboy.

How do you place the marbles in the carboy. Are they lowered in a nylon sack or do you just drop them in?

How do you place the marbles in the carboy. Are they lowered in a nylon sack or do you just drop them in?
good question as I've wondered this myself, as it would seem if you just dropped them in there is the possibility of breakage. I know it seems unlikely but I'd not want to chance it

Since my original question was not answered or even addressed I decided to go ahead and add an f-pac made from POM pomagranate-blueberry juice and inverted sugar to taste. My carboy is topped-up and sitting quietly. This next weekend if everything still looks ok I will go ahead and bottle it rather than bulk ageing it as I had planned. :?:gn

They're small marbles, Dan, maybe 7/16" d. I just drop them in, a nylon sack would work and might be a good idea I've just never done it. These do not sound as though they're dropping very fast in the wine.

Didn't get here earlier but yes add your f pak and pot. sorbate to top off. Save some bottles even magnums for small excess amounts of wine. #2 bungs fit in the bottles.

Place marbles into a nylon sack and lower them in. Never drop them into a carboy. When you ar finished invert the carboy to retreive them.

let me understand this ,correct me please ,but if you like the way the wine taste now why don't you bottle it and age it that way?

Thanks Steve, Thats all I was trying to find out. I didn't think adding the f-pack and back sweetning before bulk ageing could do any harm, but everything I read usually says to add sorbate and sweetners just before bottling. This wine looks like it will be very good, but a bit sweeter than I normally like. The family will like it though.
Thanks again everyone for the ideas, I am now better repared for the next little problem.
LOUMIK

let me understand this ,correct me please ,but if you like the way the wine taste now why don't you bottle it and age it that way?

Wine can improve better bulk aged rather than bottle aged. Bulk aged wine will age better, mellow and age slower than bottled wine. Patience

I only have a single 1 gal. jug empty at this time and I don't know where I would get more on short notice. To the best of my knowledge there are no wine and beer supply businesses in North Dakota. All of my equipment and supplies have to be ordered. That's why I was thinking about topping-up my carboy. That would have been a good solution to my problem though. Maybe I should order some more gal. and 1/2 gal jugs for future use.
Thanks Runningwolf, I'll look around the house and think about your suggestion.
LOUMIK

Buy a gallon of wine and throw a party!

Latest posts

Back