What to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milton1955

Junior
Reaction score
I started some Scuppernong wine 7 weeks ago, ofcourse without a hydrometer, now I am taking the product up and find a very acidic taste to the content. My wife thinks we make some really fine Scuppernong vinegar. If I purchase a hydrometer today can is iot feasible to add yeast, more sugar and rework this product?

Depends on a number of things (like what the current alcohal level is and how much sugar is left). I would first measure the SG.

If you want to re-work, I suggest that you use Lalvin EC1118 yeast.

Thanks, I plan on obtaining a hydrometer today and checking the SG. If there is alcohol present it should burn when poured on concrete with added open flame, correct?

Thanks, I plan on obtaining a hydrometer today and checking the SG. If there is alcohol present it should burn when poured on concrete with added open flame, correct?

Nope,

The alcohal levels is wine will hardly ever top 18 - 19%. This is not enough to support a flame.

Good question asked before.. Did you add any sodium or potassium metabisulfite to you wine?

Normally for it to burn it would have to have a proof of 150 or more as the alcohol percentage on regular wine is so low a concentration as it just won't ignite.

odd it didn't show your post John till I posted mine

Thanks

Thanks for your posts, as I stated I am merely a novice, using an old recipe handed down from a Great Aunt. After reading your posts I am upgrading my resources some so that I can at least have some basic information to work with.

Thanks again.

It's good to have more information it helps more people be able to better help you cause they have probly had the same experience and might know what to do to help

Alcohole will burn at 80 proof meaning 40 abv but not great. I used to do flaming shots of 100 proof Southern comfort when I was younger. How did you process the grapes?

I have a scuppernong going now. The acitic taste is normal for scuppernong scent the are very acitic. My acid reading at the start was 1.0 witch should be .5 to.7 so just check with youe hydrometer and see were it is and let use know.

Hi Milton

Can you post your recipe and what you did? I believe your wine is probably just high in acids, if you have a strong enough flavor going in the wine you could probably just add a little water to tone down the acid. If would be better to give you some help if we knew what all went into your wine and how much grapes you used.

Latest posts

Back