What to add for storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papawdude

Reaction score
I hate adding another thread to the mix but a quick search didn't return any notable results. Granted my search skills might be very lacking.

I reckon more due to laziness than anything else I'm at the stage where the nice little info packet that came with my newby wine making 101 kit says it's time for me to put this juice I've managed to create into bottles. I don't have said bottles yet...or tube for that matter (but that's a drunken story for another day) so my question is....How long can I leave it in the carboy before it goes south and is there something I should add to make it keep?

I ask because I saw something on here a while back (for the life of me I can't find that thread) that said if you leave it for so long that "something" had to be added to it to keep it from morphing into that thing off Aliens. ← I kid...but you get the point ( I almost said pint there).

All this being said....I'm REALLY excited to get this batch this far along. My major gripe on my first batch was that it looked/tasted watered down and this stuff still appears pretty dark.

On the destructions, I'm on step #3 (stabilization).

Again, I'm sorry to spam the board with such blundering questions, but I know if anyone will now...you folks will know. :)

~Papawdude

Papawdude said:
I hate adding another thread to the mix but a quick search didn't return any notable results. Granted my search skills might be very lacking.

I reckon more due to laziness than anything else I'm at the stage where the nice little info packet that came with my newby wine making 101 kit says it's time for me to put this juice I've managed to create into bottles. I don't have said bottles yet...or tube for that matter (but that's a drunken story for another day) so my question is....How long can I leave it in the carboy before it goes south and is there something I should add to make it keep?

I ask because I saw something on here a while back (for the life of me I can't find that thread) that said if you leave it for so long that "something" had to be added to it to keep it from morphing into that thing off Aliens. ← I kid...but you get the point ( I almost said pint there).

All this being said....I'm REALLY excited to get this batch this far along. My major gripe on my first batch was that it looked/tasted watered down and this stuff still appears pretty dark.

On the destructions, I'm on step #3 (stabilization).

Again, I'm sorry to spam the board with such blundering questions, but I know if anyone will now...you folks will know. :)

~Papawdude

Once you add the stabilizers: metabisulfite and sorbate, you can bulk age for three months. At that point, it will need another dose of metabisulfite.

Ok cool. This kind of leads me to another question. If I bottle it today. How long is it good for in the bottle? I know the idea is to drink it but I've got few bottles from my first batch that I made in 2009. Is this still okay to open and drink or is it just something to collect dust now?

Try a bottle, its the only way to find out. I just started making last year so none of my stuff has had a birthday yet.

ok here's an add on question. When adding k-meta do you just dump it into the carboy dry and then rack in the wine or should you dissolve it in water first? and would it be 2/8 tsp for 6 Gals?

Last edited:
ok here's an add on question. When adding k-meta do you just dump it into the carboy dry and then rack in the wine or should you dissolve it in water first?

Dissolve in a bit of water...just make sure it is dissolved....and then rack wine onto it. This incorporates it. If you are just bulk aging, no racking, you can actually thief a bit of wine and dissolve the k-meta in the wine and pour it back into carboy. The key with k-meta is dissolving it. I dose with k-meta once every 90 days while bulk aging and as long as my pH is within range, see link, I stick with 1/4 tsp per five gallons until ready to bottle. (I do not own a free SO2 test kit, yet.). Here is a free SO2 chart to read, and read over and over--- http://www.homebeerwinecheese.com/SO2.html

*Sara*

Last edited:
I have been wondering about dissolving the pot meta before adding it to the must. It seems like a redundant step but I see it suggested a lot. What is the benefit or reason to dissolve it in liquid before adding it to more liquid?

Norton said:
I have been wondering about dissolving the pot meta before adding it to the must. It seems like a redundant step but I see it suggested a lot. What is the benefit or reason to dissolve it in liquid before adding it to more liquid?

Basically easier to add. Makes sure that you do t get a clump of k-meta on the bottom.

One of the questions I get from wineries and home winemakers since they started measuring for S02 is why their wine is not even close to the target ppm they added when they test. The reason is always because they didn't dissolve the meta in warm water first before stirring in. They either just dropped it in the tank dry without stirring or even with stirring not all of it went into solution. When you dissolve it in water first, it also disperses a lot easier.

Papawdude said:
Ok cool. This kind of leads me to another question. If I bottle it today. How long is it good for in the bottle? I know the idea is to drink it but I've got few bottles from my first batch that I made in 2009. Is this still okay to open and drink or is it just something to collect dust now?

Depends on the wine. But I am enjoying some of my fruit wines now that are 10-12 years old. Definitely taste some every year and see how it ages.

I've been dropping mine in the empty carboy, and then vacuum racking the wine on top of it, I've checked and no sediment or little white crap floating around.

Dissolve in a bit of water...just make sure it is dissolved....and then rack wine onto it. This incorporates it. If you are just bulk aging, no racking, you can actually thief a bit of wine and dissolve the k-meta in the wine and pour it back into carboy. The key with k-meta is dissolving it. I dose with k-meta once every 90 days while bulk aging and as long as my pH is within range, see link, I stick with 1/4 tsp per five gallons until ready to bottle. (I do not own a free SO2 test kit, yet.). Here is a free SO2 chart to read, and read over and over--- http://www.homebeerwinecheese.com/SO2.html

*Sara*

Hi sara,

thanks for this although It seems like graduate level wine making to me and I am still at winemaking 101:) I guess I have lots of homework to do.

Hi guys,

I'm concerned that not enough k-meta was added to my 2 batches during the bulk aging process. Is there a test I can run to make sure the wine is still good? Sorry if I missed this somewhere.

Wade

colorado_wade said:
Hi guys,

I'm concerned that not enough k-meta was added to my 2 batches during the bulk aging process. Is there a test I can run to make sure the wine is still good? Sorry if I missed this somewhere.

Wade

Yes, there is a test, chances are good you have the tester, your tongue!

You can always add more k-meta at you'd next racking. I keep a tag on the carboy. Every time I add kmeta, I make a note on the tag.

Depends on the wine. But I am enjoying some of my fruit wines now that are 10-12 years old. Definitely taste some every year and see how it ages.

Oh that's great news! Thanks for putting me at ease there. I was afraid I had just made a bunch of bookends. :p

Does anyone micro-filter before bottling or is it a waste of time?

Hey folks, "that" guy again. :)

Due to life's little surprises, and the never ending struggle to become debt free, I have been out of touch and have neglected my hobby. Sad I know but I have hopes of making another go at making booze. That all being said. Would you believe me if I said that I still have this same batch still in the carboy? I completely forgot about it for some time and after realizing that I still had six gallons of Merlot waiting for it's next phase of life, I went to go check on it. I had it in a room in our house that never sees any use or visitors. Temperature-wise, it got hot in the summer and cold in the winter and to top off all of that, the water in the air lock evaporated some time back. I thought at first that I had just made a huge batch of hooch to say the least but when I pulled the stopper out and took a whiff. I really smelled great. Before I take a sample though, I figured I'd bring it before you folks here as to what I should do to try to bring this back from the edges of death.

I did a hydrometer reading and this is what I got.....headed over to newbs forum now to see what that means.

http://imgur.com/3HVCZYQ

Latest posts

Back