What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humph. Redoing a phone setup, no kids around to help. My old one had what would equate to the video card go out on it, and I don't do cloud storage (I'm Amish like that). Makes for a fun time when you gotta take a trip to philly the next day for a wedding, lovely timing.

Wondering if my brother (grooms dad) has been trying to reach me, lol.

At least this new phone can do wifi calling and texts (and is 5G ready)! Welcome to the 21st century...

Edit: Yikes, the service is in a Quaker meeting house (no electric, I believe). Reception is under roof, open air it looks like...supposed to be in the mid 90s and humid as heck, and the wedding is scheduled for 4 pm, ouch.

Last edited:
just got back from seeing Oppenheimer and was super impressed by the whole movie. Story, acting and overall cinematography were awesome. I don't know my history well enough to know how accurate the portrayal was but he seemed like a very complicated guy who got treated unfairly. If there are any Downey Jr. fans here I'm guessing he's looking at a supporting actor oscar at the end of the year. Curious what ibglowin thoughts were if he's seen it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone who has seen it said the 3 hour runtime went by before they even knew it. The movie never dragged for one moment. No intermission like in the "olden" days either. We are waiting for the crowds to thin out just a little here in NM. The movie was based off the book "American Prometheus". If you have the chance to read it I highly recommend it. A very worthwhile read. Lots of amazing acting roles in this one. I would not be surprised to see Cillian Murphy take home the Oscar for Best Actor for his role. We have followed him for almost 20 years now. First saw him at the Telluride Film Festival back in 2005. His lead role in "Breakfast on Pluto" was jaw dropping. You might know him more for his role these days on "Peaky Blinders".

just got back from seeing Oppenheimer and was super impressed by the whole movie. Story, acting and overall cinematography were awesome. I don't know my history well enough to know how accurate the portrayal was but he seemed like a very complicated guy who got treated unfairly. If there are any Downey Jr. fans here I'm guessing he's looking at a supporting actor oscar at the end of the year. Curious what ibglowin thoughts were if he's seen it yet.

I was searching YouTube for another angle on cooking down fresh tomatoes for sauce (got a peck at the local Mennonite farm) and this video was suggested. Just can't imagine the programming that goes into this nor the technology to make such a responsive machine.

Still wonder why it was suggested as it has nothing to do with cooking, though I'd love to have something watch over this batch of sauce and go out and cut the grass and weed and drink a bit...

Mrs. WM81 and I went to a sword tournament this morning, as our elder son and his close friend were competing. It was nearly impossible getting good shots, as action is fast and people kept walking in front of me. Our son is on the left.

eric - sword.jpg

This is sword and cape competition.

I was searching YouTube for another angle on cooking down fresh tomatoes for sauce (got a peck at the local Mennonite farm) and this video was suggested. Just can't imagine the programming that goes into this nor the technology to make such a responsive machine.

Still wonder why it was suggested as it has nothing to do with cooking, though I'd love to have something watch over this batch of sauce and go out and cut the grass and weed and drink a bit...

You can't believe anything you see anymore... That is some damn fine work, but it's CGI.

Yeah, you got fooled. The technology in making this video was impressive, but that is only about the video editing! It was a human making those shots, and someone edited to make it look like a robot:

Yeah, you got fooled. The technology in making this video was impressive, but that is only about the video editing! It was a human making those shots, and someone edited to make it look like a robot:

That actually make me feel better, I was getting a little worried that my wife wouldn't have to change my diaper when I get incontinent in a few years, lol.

I’m trying to repair an old Stihl 029 saw. Tore it apart, realized I was sent the wrong replacement carburetor replaced the fuel line and put it back together but I think the intake boot is bad so I need to tear it all apart again, getting close to chucking it and buying a new one.

Yesterday my dad and I picked the grapes from his 2 backyard vines that he planted years ago.

Last night I spent about an hour destemming the grapes before crushing them. I am hoping to get a gallon but it may not yield that much.

Since I added some kmeta, I left it overnight. Today's plan is to add some pectic enzyme and probably some sugar (need to take the SG to see if it needs chaptilizing), then pitch the yeast. I think I have some 71B in the fridge so that's what I plan to use.

IMG_8964.jpegIMG_8967.jpegIMG_8969.jpegIMG_8970.jpeg

Last edited:
I woke up this morning and all I could think about was shrubberies. Not sure where I got the idea... But here we are. View attachment 104506

Should look good in 5 years. Next... Real stairs!
Next you must chop down the largest tree in the forest with…

A herring!

Back