What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made another hot sauce today. This one is a good deal hotter than the last one.
4 Ghost peppers, a few Seranno and cayanne, a bunch of other veggies from the garden, then red wine vinegar.
Instead of water, I used some of our 2016 muscat.
So I'm naming this sauce Ghost-Cat.

Has a nice flavour with the wine in there.
20180814_084419.jpg
20180814_090904.jpg

I started a 5 gal batch of Strawberry and a 5 gallon batch of rasberry today. I also removed the concrete steps for my back door of my garage and am going to replace them with wooded ones. Worked 9 hours at my day job.

Today I racked a 5 gal batch of rhubarb to a new carboy and degassed slightly (SG 0.996), and am setting up a sour cherry batch, as after this years harvest I think I have enough for 5 more batches still in the freezer- 60 lbs this year off my two little trees! And then I'm going to reward myself with a glass of my Dragon's Blood Tropicale. Friends dropped off some apples, so I'll have to plot what to do with those, too. And that was after a full day of work.

7 mile run this morning. While it was a relatively cool 72 degrees, the humidity was 99%. Brutal!

Our deck is about done being 'rehabbed'. While that's been going on, I decided my ~9 year old Weber Performer deserves a makeover. Got a new work table and new wheels for it, so I might put them on today. Pics to come later, of course. I also need to bottle the Blanc de Noir LR.

Later on, fishing at the Izaak Walton League w/ the Scouts, followed by a hot dog and marshmallow roast.
Hmm. I think I might go and buy a dog and call it ' seven miles '.

It's getting towards the end of winter in my Hemisphere. So - today - it was time to prep my feijoa cider (pineapple guava) that I fermented last autumn. I need to get it into bottles and trigger the secondary fermentation in order to quaff away in the sun over Christmas and New Year. Busy time.

8 miles this morning. Now off to run a couple errands. After lunch, @mainshipfred is forcing me to drink wine. :p

Just had a real nice time with @Boatboy24 sampling and talking about blending. EXCEPT: all he told me was this, this and this would go good with that and so on. I wanted exact percentages. LOL!!!

View attachment 50348

No fancy clothes needed, all places are resort casual, except the feature restaurant, La Toc, which only requires dress pants and a collared shirt, you could muster that up, I’m sure of it. Full service place for sure. Here’s the bedroom view, doors shut.

My wife and I just booked a week there next March. Wish it was sooner. Enjoy.

Just had a real nice time with @Boatboy24 sampling and talking about blending. EXCEPT: all he told me was this, this and this would go good with that and so on. I wanted exact percentages. LOL!!!

I can't give you all my secrets! Those percentages are pretty much personal preference. But with pretty much everything we tasted and everything we thought to blend with, I'd start light - probably with 5-10%, then maybe 15% and 25%. Fine tune from there. On the Merlot, where you need a 30% plus up to get into an 8gal barrel, I'd think twice about being heavy handed on a blend. It's really good on its own.

Eh. Not enough keepers for a full dinner. But still a great day regardless. Highlight was not 1 but 2 blowfish caught in the crab traps!
Regardless of only 4 keepers, as long as your catching anything consistently it’s a good day for the kids. (Took our nephew with as well)
IMG_5298.jpgIMG_5297.jpgView attachment 50451

Attachments

• C59A8CA7-54D9-4E48-B1FE-E50DCA4BF32F.jpeg
    C59A8CA7-54D9-4E48-B1FE-E50DCA4BF32F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Finished bottling chilli wine. So proud of it!!!!
started persimmon and strawberry wine - not too sure about this one, also started another batch of lemon wine. divided it into two 30 litre buckets and its not looking very bubbly. Its a bit cold and windy here in South West Rocks, maybe thats the problem?

Latest posts

Back