What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
having most of the family (and a number of friends) over tomorrow for a superbowl party.

after runnings errands, it was time to clean the house, arrange the man cave to a stadium configuration, then do some prep work on the food....

here is what i am serving..

cheese/crackers/olives/grape/and saprosetta platter,
buffalo wings (from scratch)
pings in a blanket,
pizza bagels,
beer/cheese dip
salsa/chips,
chips and french onion dip,
and a 2 pound shrimp platter,

dinner will be traditional hungarian goulash (aka hungarian chili)
cabage salad,
spatzle,
and garlic bread.

right now, i have my list completed and am exhausted!

Super Bowl L or 50!

Smoking 4 racks of ribs, friend has his brisket on smoker let the game begin!
We are also making buffalo cauliflower which is awesome btw.
Pictures to follow.

Steve

Not sure about all this Super Bowl stuff...

Over here we had a "blizzard" - 80km/ph winds that cancelled extended family plans. So we did the shopping, painted and filled the storage room, played Jenga, and watched Star Wars Episode 6. Good day all in all!

Kids were super-awesome with understanding that their plans were cancelled. They figured that extra snuggles and some quiet time were pretty good :)

Riesling Ice Wine Kit

I received a very nice gift card for my LHBS for Christmas. I bought the Wine Expert Riesling Ice Wine kit and started it today. Has anyone made this kit? I like ice wine so I'm hoping to really like this kit.

Mary Lou

I went out to my LHBS and bought another kit. My LHBS (Northern Brewer) is following (of course) WineXpert's MAP policy. They do, however, run occasional massive sales to compensate. Today they announced a Superbowl-Sunday-only sale of $25 off of orders over $125. I previously had purchased $120 worth of gift cards from them for $100 (another promotion they do from time to time). I bought a WE Eclipse Yakima Valley Pinot Gris today; it lists at $170. Well, first deduct $25, bringing us to $145. Then deduct my 10% discount for belonging to American Homebrew Association ($130.5). Then pay for this with $120 worth of gift cards (which only cost me $100), plus another $10.50 of real money. Net cost (before taxes) was about $111, or about a 35% discount. :db

I guess if you're Peyton Manning, you're drinking a lot of Budweiser. I was laughing - he said that several times in his post-game interviews.

That was a pretty blatant plug on more than one occasion wasn't it. The NFL does not partner/sponsor with any alcoholic beverage company and players are forbidden to where advertising (shirts/hats etc.) so what he did may be looked into and a league fine levied against him. Or they could turn a blind eye since he will more than likely retire and is a shoo in for the HOF. He owns several Budweiser distributorships BTW. Probably bad investment advice considering whats going on in the beer world these days.

I guess if you're Peyton Manning, you're drinking a lot of Budweiser. I was laughing - he said that several times in his post-game interviews.

The real story of Peyton Manning’s weird love for Budweiser, Papa John’s and Gatorade

It's all about the Benjamins. From The Washington Post:

There was so much for Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning to talk about after winning Super Bowl 50 Sunday night — becoming the oldest quarterback to win a Super Bowl, his rumored retirement — that it seemed a bit odd when he instead started giving big, sloppy kisses to Budweiser, brewed by the world's biggest beer conglomerate.

In the seconds after the game ended, he told a sportscaster, "I'm going to drink a lot of Budweiser tonight, Tracy, I promise you that." Then, early Monday, he told CBS This Morning, "I've had a few Budweisers and it's been a special night."

It wasn't the first time The Sheriff paid homage to the King of Beers: After a playoff win in 2014, when asked if retiring was weighing on his mind, Manning said, "What’s weighing on my mind is how soon I can get a Bud Light in my mouth."

The National Football League bans players from officially endorsing alcohol brands. But Anheuser-Busch InBev spokesperson Lisa Weser said Sunday night the Belgian-based beer empire didn't pay Peyton to keep mentioning its brew, adding, "We were surprised and delighted that he did."

But Manning's shilling was still business: He owns a stake of two of the mega-brewer's distributors in his native state of Louisiana, according to trade publication Beer Business Daily.

Companies paid an average of $5 million for 30 seconds of super-saturated airtime during Super Bowl 50, just for a chance to compete with every other company forking over the same cash. Yet Manning flipped the script by delivering Bud one of the game's most valuable marketing goldmines: A sterling endorsement from the mouth of a champion, embedded in the post-game coverage, before all the confetti had even hit the ground.

The Super Bowl is not exactly known for marketing purity. In 1987, after the New York Giants beat the Denver Broncos for Super Bowl XXI, Disney paid quarterback Phil Simms $75,000 to tell the on-field cameras five words: "I'm going to Disney World," a phrase that has been repeated ad nauseam ever since.

But Manning's glowing endorsement, in the age of social media, could prove far more valuable. Apex Marketing Group, a sponsorship research firm, estimated Peyton's Bud love had generated more than $3 million in "brand recognition value" for the multinational beer brand.

The ads also helped Bud dominate social media: People tweeted about Budweiser 265,000 times in the 12 hours after kickoff, data from Amobee Brand Intelligence found — more than the next three most-mentioned brands (T-Mobile, Mountain Dew and Pokemon) combined.

Manning is the NFL's highest-paid endorser, making $12 million a year — twice as much as New England Patriots star Tom Brady — through off-field deals with Buick, DirecTV, Gatorade, Nationwide and Papa John’s Pizza, according to Forbes. That may help explain why, before the game, Manning was seen guzzling Gatorade while sitting near some well-placed cases of delicious Gatorade.

On the field after the win, Manning also tenderly embraced Papa John’s founder John Schnatter, whose pizza chain Manning has shilled for in commercials. Manning also owns 21 franchises around Denver, in the legal-weed state of Colorado: "Pizza business is pretty good out here, believe it or not, due to some recent law changes," he said in 2014.

Anheuser-Busch InBev is used to pouring gobs of money into America's most-watched sports event: In the last decade, it has spent $278 million just on Super Bowl ads, Kantar Media data show. Bud Light is also the official beer sponsor of the NFL — part of Anheuser-Busch InBev's six-year, $1.2 billion deal with the league — and Anheuser-Busch sent 1,200 bottles of Bud to the Broncos' afterparty.

The beer giant also ran three pricey ads the old-fashioned way, during commercial breaks: A Helen Mirren anti-drunk-driving ad; a booming volley at craft and import brewers; and a quasi-political ad featuring Amy Schumer and Seth Rogen stumping for the "Bud Light Party."

Whether any of this stuff will make people drink more Bud remains to be seen: Bud and Bud Light sales have been slowing for years as drinkers move more toward craft beers. Wall Street, for what it's worth, was not clearly won over by Manning's hugs for Bud. Anheuser-Busch InBev's share price slid more than 2 percent Monday amid a broader stock selloff.

Today I scraped labels off of 4 cases of bottles... I also called a friend and scolded them for not rinsing the sludge out of their bottle and for wasting alcohol (they are currently still in the corner on a long time out).

I also got the drill mounted cleaner out to spin some carboys clean. Nice surprise was an Okanagan Peach Icewine kit... I am hoping this kit is okay to do since it has been sitting unopened for a while. Fingers crossed... It starts tomorrow!

Today I got good news from doc (I have cause to continue with bulk aging;) )I stirred and checked on my new soon to be wines,(pic)and had a great happy hour with some awesome friends.
It was a good day!
(And I don't know why my pics post sideways when taken with tablet)

20160209_184810.jpg

Last edited:
I posted new post" What would you do if you were me"

HELP me out!!!! Lets have some fun.

Started my Enigma yesterday It's going so strong had to put some in a neighboring bucket! Temp keeps going up even though it's in a cool fermentation area:HB

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back