What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the NY Botsnicsl Garden Trsin showImageUploadedByWine Making1449343690.399006.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1449343731.282865.jpg
Then to Arthur Ave picked up cheese Sopressata had lunch.
Now I have to go to work no idea when I will be done either.
[emoji23]

Steve

Today was our Karate School's Christmas party. We won a Pasta Basket and a Baking Basket in the Korean Auction..

My daughter was also one of 5 students from 3 campuses to be chosen for a newly established program to reward excellent performance. She said when they announced the program that she would be picked and sure enough..

Taking the wife out for dinner. Her birthday is Wednesday and weeknights are differcult to get out. Made reservations at an upscale restaurant and will surprise her where.
Likely my last day off before Christmas so I need to really pamper the wife. Bakervinyard

Finally, I mean finally got the Christmas tree decorated. Cut the tree yesterday, couldn't get the lights to work. Wifey bought new lights, daughter saw a stage show of the Nutcracker Suit, so we held off decorating until today. Then today after church, a group went to my wife and son's work to sing Christmas carols for the inmates (residents). Finally everyone got home and they decorated the tree in about 5 mintues.

Third image shows my son watching the Eagles try to lose a three touchdown lead over the Riots. I'm glad he was spared crying tonight, barely.

12-05-2015_raw-tree.jpg

12-05-2015_lights.jpg

12-05-2015_action.jpg

12-05-2015_finished.jpg

Spent the day cleaning the house so we could set up the Christmas Tree and host dinner for the kids. We do a grab bag for Christmas and today was the grab bag pick day.

Made a balsamic chicken recipe. Definately a do over meal, it was well received.

Had the day off work today so I blended 32 gallons of Noble Muscadine, 25 gallons of Carlos and 28 gallons of Red Muscadine. They were from 2 different pickings so I racked into a brute to blend batch 1 with batch 2 of each then back to carboys. Surprising how much acid has dropped out so far and it really hasn't been cold yet.

I'm Back, I Think

Well I haven't been on for a while. Things have just been crazy busy. Work has been so busy and I'm not fully recovered yet from my Brain surgery in March. Never thought it would take this long to back and can't really do what I used to yet I seem to run out of steam. Daughter is pregnant with her third, daughter in law is pregnant with her first. Thanksgiving was at my house so that was crazy busy time after which wifey was watching the grandkids since my son in law was going in for back surgery and the youngest, 18 months, makes the Energizer Bunny look like it's set on snooze but I managed to start a batch of Nebbiolo the week of thanksgiving and getting ready to toss the ML bugs this week. Wow I'm tired just writing this.

Well I haven't been on for a while. Things have just been crazy busy. Work has been so busy and I'm not fully recovered yet from my Brain surgery in March. Never thought it would take this long to back and can't really do what I used to yet I seem to run out of steam. Daughter is pregnant with her third, daughter in law is pregnant with her first. Thanksgiving was at my house so that was crazy busy time after which wifey was watching the grandkids since my son in law was going in for back surgery and the youngest, 18 months, makes the Energizer Bunny look like it's set on snooze but I managed to start a batch of Nebbiolo the week of thanksgiving and getting ready to toss the ML bugs this week. Wow I'm tired just writing this.

Glad to see you're on the road to recovery. Just take your time and be careful. I love kids around but not feeling 100% would be a different story. Good luck!

Racked the LE Shiraz Viognier out of the barrel and moved the LE Aglianico in. Both are tasty, but the SV is excellent (almost a year older too).

installed the gas burner

for my new forge into the barrel.
in the process of switching over from charcoal to gas.

built two mega burners out of an old natural gas house heating unit.
had to make a new propane orafice

NOW, I can beat hot iron and maybe make a knife or a door knocker

key chain or bottle opener...HMMMMM? maybe a cork screw ...

orafice2 002.JPG

orafice2 003.JPG

orafice2 004.JPG

orafice2 005.JPG

orafice2 006.JPG

orafice2 007.JPG

orafice2 009.JPG

orafice2 010.JPG

orafice2 011.JPG

lit burner 003.JPG

Last edited:
I have taken a number of blacksmithing class and have to say that I have not beat on any metal in quite a number of years...

Pretty cool that you have a coal forge. Is gas so much better?

I am very jealous! Any chance that you could post pictures of some of your iron work?

I think coal is better. switching over out of necessity ,
my coal connection is drying up. i make my own coke, buy burning wood and adding coal. my coal connection for free coal is drying up. i refuse to pay the ridicules prices at hardware stores. so either go gas or pay out the a--
I never used gas before,so really cant answer your question.
i will find out. I am sure a learn curve will be involved
you are very lucky to have taken classes, Nearest forge council is 100 miles away
from me.
I am self taught, with bad habits i am sure would make a real smith mad as hell

I saw this online,

I might try it

ppp.jpg

I have taken 5 or 6 classes here.. https://www.folkschool.org/

My wife had suggested taking folk art classes for our vacation. I initially thought she was nuts! She went on to suggest blacksmithing..

HMMM, I thought, Anvil... Yellow Hot Steel.... and a 3 lb hammer???
It took a while, but I definitely saw the appeal!!!

I have been hooked ever since. The only reason that I an not actively smithing is that my other "Hobby" sucks up all of my time and money...

We spoke about taking additional classes this summer. I may take 2, one for blacksmithing and one for wood turning (wood turning is also pretty cool. I have taken 3 or 4 classes in that).

Back