What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so we decide to hit 2 local wineries this weekend. We start out and drive the 30 miles only to find out one is closed pending ownership transfer, the other closed at 5 on a Saturday (Seriously??). So a wasted Saturday late after noon.

Sunday, we decide to try again, hitting the open winery. Of course then my wife proceeds to spill her wine in the tasting room, then knocks her glass over outside and spills her wine and breaks her glass. Can shine her up,but can't take her out....

Attended a gathering in support of Truth & Reconciliation Commission and heard the results from Ottawa. We had an event on-campus.

It was quite incredible, and horrifying to hear more in-depth information and stories from the Residential Schools and their effect on the Aboriginal population.

after a nice dinner out with friends, we are drinking a Cat Country White by Raspberry Acres and watching a Jimmy Kimmel re-run.....

Fredonia is ready to bottle. Need to start a 63 gallon batch of cranberry pomegranate and 18 gallons of candy cane to be ready for Christmas. Doing bench tests on the 30 gallons of diamond....

going to start a batch of Dragons Blood probably next week. our Lime skeeter pee has mellowed out quite a bit in the short time it's rested.

Hub was rear-ended on the 3rd. been playing phone tag with insurance to find out what they want to do but are taking their time because the other driver was from out of state. He's not badly hurt it seems so thankful for that.

Transferred my latest Skeeter Pee and Cranberry Lime Pee to carboys yesterday. Given that it is supposed to rain this evening I may try to get the Niagra bottled.

FYI - 5 gallon glass carboys and glass hydrometers do NOT like or bounce on concrete floors.

Rats......

Spent most of the day prepping screens to paint them before taking out storm windows.

This evening, however, I started a batch of my WE LE Super Tuscan to celebrate my return from Tuscany!

Red_MCP_SuperTuscan_140x240.png

Just finished the first ever 'wine chores' in the new house. I racked the Stag's Leap Merlot out of the #2 barrel and moved my Winery Series Super Tuscan in. While I was at work, I did a round robin of barrel/carboy tasting. The Merlot is very good, but has a slight 'tang', as does the Super Tuscan. My 2014 Chilean Cab/Merlot sample from barrel #1 was very good and the other three gallons of that that have already had barrel time and a little additional oak was excellent. The LE Shiraz-Viognier is excellent, even before it has had barrel time. The 2014 Amador Old Vine Zinfandel is next in the #1 barrel, but I can tell already that it is going to be great. Finally, I took another sample of the 2013 Blueberry Port and was again blown away. I've got to get this into bottles soon, but I know another year of aging is going to make this an absolutely amazing wine.

Cleaning up bottle bombs and coping with rattlesnakes....

Evidently the 100-plus degree heat here in the Central Valley recently made my storage room warmer than I realized and did not agree with the hard cider I bottled in March. Hard cider and glass all over the room. On the bright side, it's not the Dragon Blood I bottled this morning. LOL

Got the mess cleaned up just in time to hear my husband yell from the front yard, "Call the cats!" Our 2 young cats had found a couple of rattlers and wanted to make friends. Luckily the cats ran to me and my husband got rid of the snakes.

Rural life is never dull and I am very glad to be where I am. However, a nice glass of wine tonight sounds really good to me... :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back