What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping to bottle my Carmenere in the next few days, I set about sorting bottles and decided to take one final pH measurement. PH came in at 3.31, and a small taste confirmed that with astringency. The wine isn't a year old yet, so I'm not terribly concerned. But I went ahead and moved it to the garage to see if I can get some acid to drop out in the next week or two.

Pics of the skittles? Mine is still in the slurry phase so it will take some time before it starts to clear

This is my skittle wine. I used Red Grape Juice so it's hard to see clarity. I did split mine (For testing,lol) I did 1/2 with sparkolloid and the other 1/2 with Kieselol/Chitosan and have to say the sparkolloid has a wispy haze to it today while the Chit./Kies. is totally clear.I also used the Amalyse for the starches.(started Mid Oct. and Bottled Jan.) Aging now.

Have to say, I like the taste of the fruitiness but am disappointed in how faint the flavor is

IMG_1127.jpg

All I have on hand right now is sparkolloid right now. Works wonders on fruit wine. Was thinking about using it on the skittles but I guess I need some new inventory.

Pics of the skittles? Mine is still in the slurry phase so it will take some time before it starts to clear

I used Skittles Riddles (it's all my store had, because it was on sale) so it wasn't the orange-y color to begin with, it was actually kind of a white with a bit of grey. I used only red and purple skittles to back sweeten (Columbus took a chance right?). Within half an hour the In a matter of mere hours, the "white stuff" was clumping and falling. When I woke up this morning, all the white stuff had settled to the bottom.

Here's what it looks like now: Laugh if you must about my kitchen counter being my "lab", who doesn't like A1?

Also sorry about the late response, I had plans with friends last night and have fallen ill with either the flu or food poisoning. Until now, I wasn't even contemplating leaving the couch.

WP_000610.jpg

I had an awesome time last night! Met up on a Craigslist meeting and got a SWEET deal on a 15 gal demijohn. The guy was really nice, we hit it right off! I was so jealous about his lab, mine is sad in comparison. :( . We swapped wines which was fun since it was my first official "someone else's wine. Fortunately I had a Quad-Berry Dragon Blood in the van which I swapped for his 2011 Cab Franc. It was delicious even though I rarely like a dry red it seriously surprised me. We swapped info and hope to keep in contact! So I suppose I've made my 1st IRL wine buddy! Told him about the forum, he said he would look into it.

His jaw dropped when he asked what kind I make and the response was like: "I like fruit wines since I'm still beginning and don't wanna risk an expensive one to cut my teeth on. So I make wines from frozen concentrates, lots of varieties of Dragon Blood, and some experimental stuff like strawberry jam wine, skittles wine, coffee wine, candy cane wine..." It was kinda funny.

Suppose I'm gonna pop over to the DB forum on that note.

After that, I met with an old friend for roller skating diner and karaoke. It was awesome!

So I had an awesome day all around!

Unfortunately today I'm sick as a dog. :s

Last edited:
Will know tonight or tomorrow. He texted me today saying he was gonna try it. I posted further on the DB sticky

We both ran late and I had to pick up my daughter, so hubby and I were unable to go. She went with her buddy though. TBH, they wanted to go to the one that my hubby does advertising/promotion (and formerly DJ'd for, so it wouldn't have been any fun for him.

Sent from my LT30at using Wine Making mobile app

Redoing the flooring on the entire ground floor of my log home. Got the kitchen done last week. Now starting on the den and living room. And I thought I was in good shape lol

I measured and then adjusted S02 levels in some of my aging wines. Took the opportunity to taste the Amarone, Nero and Shiraz/Cab blend. All three are tasting really wonderful. I added tannin gran CRU to the Nero since I plan to bottle in late April.

Months and months ago, I built my wife a very nice stand-up desk to be used with a treadmill (at her request!). I hadn't gotten around to installing the treadmill part yet. Today I am building a little drawer to hold the controls of the treadmill. I hacked the controls out of their plastic housing with a saber saw, and I just built a kind of "picture frame" for the drawer with 1/4" plywood "matting" to surround the plastic control unit. I am now waiting for the varnish to dry.

This afternoon, I plan to bottle my WE Argentine Malbec. I stole a taste the other night, and I like it! Hints of oak, just about right, IMHO.

A wash out here. This morning, I filtered and bottled the Torrontes. Then I kicked off the Aussie Grenache Rose. Wifey then left for a CPR class, so I hung with my two boys. When Momma got home, we went to see Mr Peabody and Sherman. Now hunkering down for a rainy evening. It would be a great night to lay low and get sauced. :)

Got some flooring done and racked a Sauvignon Blanc. Finally getting to some reasonable temps around here! Was starting to lose faith in spring arriving!

Latest posts

Back