What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well had a meat kinda day. We dropped off 573 pounds worth of deer and today was the pick up and split.

I should have enough meat to last till next shotgun season

image-1985765302.jpg

image-387588594.jpg

glad i dont have kids...i have worst....its called girl friends.
last year, i asked several ladies to go fishing, only one wanted too.
I asked the same three if they wanted to go to germany with me, they all said yes...lol
guess who i am steal seeing...

Plowboy, do you take this to a processing place or do you guys all get together and cut the meat yourselves? My husband cuts are deer, makes the hot sticks and jerky.

It all goes to the butchers. I can butcher my own deer but its just easer to send the deer from the group hunt to the local packers. It cost a grand total of 30 bucks per hunter this year. If I bow hunt next year like I'm planning ill do the butchering myself. Once you process a deer or two you really get the hang of it and its done in no time

It all goes to the butchers. I can butcher my own deer but its just easer to send the deer from the group hunt to the local packers. It cost a grand total of 30 bucks per hunter this year. If I bow hunt next year like I'm planning ill do the butchering myself. Once you process a deer or two you really get the hang of it and its done in no time

Exactly, here is the issue we found out. When we took our deer to a processor, it was weighed and added to all the other deer that was brought In. Our problem with that was our neighbor wounded a deer during archery, never found it but did shoot it during rifle season. The problem was that deer had gangrene set in, this neighbor cut out the gangrene area and saved the rest. He ended up with bacterial infections that he had a hard time getting rid of. That made us think about what all is taken into a shop that the shop has no idea on and we decided we will do it ourselves. My husband, Mike, use to be a meat cutter and my mom grew up on a farm and while I was growing up, we always would have a cow we were processing in our kitchen, so processing a deer was no issue for us.

Last edited:
pouring over blue prints of a awesome kitchen..complete with walkin frigs,walkin wine closet,walk in freezer,computer control,hammered copper sink,black granite counter top, huge 8 burner stove,grill,etc.
should be fun...oh...and having some blackberry port.

James,

You don't have to go through all that trouble just for me. I only need a six burner stove. :)

Haven't make bread in a few years.

I used to work in a jail. Got boring most mornings after 2 AM so I made various breads and rolls for something to keep busy.

The bossed got pissed at me one time for getting up the trustees to take out the garbage at about 1 AM. I was brought in on overtime on X-mas eve and there was 4 days worth in the hallways.

His kiss *** said she was afraid while I was out.

Anyway he said I could not make bread any more.

Couple days later I asked him if it was alright to make French toast.

He said that would be OK.

And so whoever heard of making French toast with store bread. :slp

He had no sense of humor. So screw him. I was the Union Steward and we sometimes different points of view.

Had my son shovel my deck off so I could access the cabinet that I use for cold stabilization during the winter, I was worried that the wine was frozen and more so that the carboys would crack. Once I got them inside, (2 6 gal. carboys of Catawba put out just over 2 weeks ago) there was a small layer of ice on top. After letting them thaw for a few hours, I decided to filter them since I was filtering other whites and the cider that I'm going to bottle, as I got near the bottom of the carboys, I could see a nice layer of wine crystals covering the bottom of the carboy, each carboy effectively dropped a decent amount, the following picture is the amount of crystals from one carboy:

20131216_143429_resized_1.jpg

20131216_143448_resized_2.jpg

Clearing my Super Tuscan and then I started a batch of apple wine. Hoping it turns out OK. Glad I have more time during the cold months to get some wine made!

Lamenting the fact that I have no free carboys to start my Yakima Syrah or the LR Tempranillo Garnacha that arrived today. :(

I bottled and capped 5 gallons of Cider, this is a real nice batch, as soon as it reaches the carbonation level that I am looking for, I'll pasteurize the bottles (beer bottles seemed to be the perfect portion size) to stop the yeast.
My last batch was all wrong, I'll post more in another thread.

Never did get around to sweetening the other wines but I did mow and deleaf the whole yard and then rake all the freakin hickory nuts that blanketed the whole front yard and Im not exaggerating! 2 years ago I filled my full size pick up bed right to the top and heeped in the middle twice and we got a bumper crop this year but no truck so Ive been wheel barreling them into the back. 3rd time doing it so far this fall and the trees still have another full load to come down. Man I wish i had the money to cut these 2 monster trees down!:m
So have you got a Recipe for Hickory Nut Wine,? Mixed with Raisins and alittle chocolete. might make a good wine.Anyone ever made it?

made the rosehip syrup for winter use... sadly it was bitter..well more bitter than expected.

I made a 3 gallon wine using 3 litres of rosehip syrup.. plus honey and lemon syrup..No extra water.. SG was 1.9.

made it in May,

racked it today.. it's very medium style wine.

no bitterness apparent at all.

I'm guessing the wine is between 8 and 9 per cent.

table white.. and drinkable this december.. summer for me.

Allie
I am making 2 gals. of Rose hip wine,first time for this wine,hope it turns out well,has good color to it.only thing i changed on the recipe was I added 1 cup of Red Raspberry juice .and I used 3lbs. of sugar instead of 2 1/4 lbs.I think the Alcohol will be around 12 %.I used 4 1/2 lbs Of Rose Hips.

Bottled 5 gallons of Muscadine/blackberry yesterday. Got 6 more gallons to bottle.

6 gallons of that was from some pure muscadine I made a year and a half ago. It never was good so I set it aside. At the same time I made that, I made a muscadine using 25 pounds of muscadine and 4 jars of blackberry jam. That combination was good so I decided to make the pure muscadine the same way. I made 5 gallons of blackberry jam wine and then I blended it all real good.

This tastes better than my first muscadine blackberry.

129fab10-492b-4edf-9558-5da98b1aa7b2_zps321da8b1.jpg

Last edited:
Still playing with with beer, rack the following and placed out side to cold stabilize:
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel ale
Cascade Apa
Irish Imperial Ale
Tomorrow I'll fine will gelatin and bottle on Friday or saturday.

Latest posts

Back