What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried making sausages for the first time today. I made 8lbs of Sicilian pork sausage, and 9 lbs of breakfast pork sausage and patties.
This came from 2 pork picnic shoulders I had bought, and about 2lbs of pork belly. Turned out really well, I'm happy with it.
Materials wise, I got the pork shoulders for $1/lb, and total with the casings and other ingredients was about $2/lb. However, it took 6 hours to make (cut up pork shoulders, season meat, grind meat, stuff meat. I used 1.5 cups of my 2017 cab sauv in the Sicilian sausage.
Next time I will make my grandfathers recipe.

20190223_130812.jpg 20190223_104047.jpg 20190222_212357.jpg

Think I mentioned some time back that one of my buddies was raising Wagyu cattle on his ranch and that I was possibly going to split a steer with him. Today was the day, couple years old, grass fed and grain finished, 1100# on the hoof, will probably yield 600-700 pounds of meat. We’re splitting the cost of having the steer quartered and aged for a month or two, as well as butchered and wrapped. The guy who is in the pic skinned and quartered the steer and took it to the butcher, guy said he hadn’t seen a cow that nice in years. Think I’m excited???
4DA7B553-F73E-4980-A262-5779999AD247.jpeg 470FF080-78E9-4321-854B-4FD14AE9BB65.jpeg

Think I mentioned some time back that one of my buddies was raising Wagyu cattle on his ranch and that I was possibly going to split a steer with him. Today was the day, couple years old, grass fed and grain finished, 1100# on the hoof, will probably yield 600-700 pounds of meat. We’re splitting the cost of having the steer quartered and aged for a month or two, as well as butchered and wrapped. The guy who is in the pic skinned and quartered the steer and took it to the butcher, guy said he hadn’t seen a cow that nice in years. Think I’m excited???
View attachment 53537 View attachment 53538
Nice! A couple years ago I had the opportunity to skin and quarter a cattle, and get a lot of meat from it. It was an experience for sure.

Visiting with my parents to help celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary. That is an amazing accomplishment. I brought two cases of wine with special labels. Forgot to get a picture of them. I suppose that means it didn't happen.

LOL!! Hard to deny 70 years of marriage whether or not there’s a photo of the couple or the wine. Congrats to them!!!

Another trip to Lowes this morning. This time for a couple recessed cans and an exhaust fan. We started with 'just pull up the subfloor and redo the tile'. And are now at a full-on re-do. Didn't make sense to put the 20+ year old vanity back in once it was out. Once we decided on that, the acrylic tub and 4x4 white tiles started to bug us as well. Happy we're doing it - it tends to take an 'emergency' to get my wife willing to change something. We both just wish it was our bathroom instead of the kids. LOL!

Another trip to Lowes this morning. This time for a couple recessed cans and an exhaust fan. We started with 'just pull up the subfloor and redo the tile'. And are now at a full-on re-do. Didn't make sense to put the 20+ year old vanity back in once it was out. Once we decided on that, the acrylic tub and 4x4 white tiles started to bug us as well. Happy we're doing it - it tends to take an 'emergency' to get my wife willing to change something. We both just wish it was our bathroom instead of the kids. LOL!

Are you sure you want to go with changing the tub. We've been debating it for years but it's probably a complete redo of the bathroom to get it out. I may be going to Lowes myself for a laminate trimmer.

Are you sure you want to go with changing the tub. We've been debating it for years but it's probably a complete redo of the bathroom to get it out. I may be going to Lowes myself for a laminate trimmer.

We're already re-doing the flooring and the tile. At this rate, everything is being re-done except the tub. Very little left to do to replace it.

Not wanting to be non-compliant with requests to take some time off before the end of the quarter, I took today off. Had lunch with some friends, then off to the HBS. Got a new 7.9gal fermenter, a carboy and a 28 inch stirrer. Then to Lowes, Benjamin Moore and the grocery store. Got home and started my Eclipse Riesling.

Not wanting to be non-compliant with requests to take some time off before the end of the quarter, I took today off. Had lunch with some friends, then off to the HBS. Got a new 7.9gal fermenter, a carboy and a 28 inch stirrer. Then to Lowes, Benjamin Moore and the grocery store. Got home and started my Eclipse Riesling.

How was the HBS, I'm assuming Jay's? It seems like everyone is getting out of wine and focusing on beer.

How was the HBS, I'm assuming Jay's? It seems like everyone is getting out of wine and focusing on beer.

Yep, Jay's. Busiest I've ever seen. I've never been in there when there was more than one other customer, aside from myself. There were 4, plus me today. I thought I might pick up another white kit, but all they had were Cru Select, and they looked like they'd been there quite a while - maybe from all the way back when Derek was the owner. o_O

Pretty much a wine play day. Going to an AWS tasting of Chilean wines next Sunday so I'm going to bottle a Carmenere, an unoaked Merlot and perhaps a Malbec from last spring. There is a happy hour prior to the tasting and everyone brings a bottle. I may be the only home winemaker that attends these events and it's kind of satisfying mine are one of the first to go. I normally just use blue tape to mark the bottles but my wife recommends I use labels this time so I'll have to do some design work. I'm also going to enter my 2017 Norton blend and maybe a 2018 Sauv Blanc in the Winemaker Magazine competition and the entries have to be received by the 15th so I'll probably be packaging and mailing them.

Back