What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend makes their wine. They they opened just last year and I have yet to go. I believe they only have 6 wines to offer right now. I'd join you but we are going to a sparkling wine event this evening at Bull Run. Let me know what you think of it, it's supposed to cater to our age group whatever that means.

Let me know what you think of it, it's supposed to cater to our age group whatever that means.

No kids, no pets. Not even infants in car seats. I read one scathing review posted by a woman who was furious she wasn't allowed in with her months old child sleeping in a car seat. I can understand her frustration, but rules are rules.

@mainshipfred , @Boatboy24 You guys from Virginia maybe? I lived in Charlottesville for a coupe of years, about 20 years ago. Out of all the places I've lived its the one place I would be happy to move back too. Could tell you some stories about a few of the wineries around there.

@mainshipfred , @Boatboy24 You guys from Virginia maybe? I lived in Charlottesville for a coupe of years, about 20 years ago. Out of all the places I've lived its the one place I would be happy to move back too. Could tell you some stories about a few of the wineries around there.

Yes we are in Northern Va, Chantilly and Centreville. Although I like it here it's probably a lot nicer in Charlottesville. Both are great wine areas. My wife and I are planning a mini vacation down there this summer so post your stories.

Yes we are in Northern Va, Chantilly and Centreville. Although I like it here it's probably a lot nicer in Charlottesville. Both are great wine areas. My wife and I are planning a mini vacation down there this summer so post your stories.

Hopefully I'm heading up to Cville in the next month or two to catch up with some friends and hit a few of the wineries. I was living out in CO a couple of years ago and ended up divorced, so on my way back to the east coast to start over I spent about 4 months working the crush at King Family Vineyards. fun adventure.

Hopefully I'm heading up to Cville in the next month or two to catch up with some friends and hit a few of the wineries. I was living out in CO a couple of years ago and ended up divorced, so on my way back to the east coast to start over I spent about 4 months working the crush at King Family Vineyards. fun adventure.

Let us know when you're coming, it won't be hard to convince us to join you.

No kids, no pets. Not even infants in car seats. I read one scathing review posted by a woman who was furious she wasn't allowed in with her months old child sleeping in a car seat. I can understand her frustration, but rules are rules.

Personally, I think this is a wonderful set of rules, having spent way too much time in public places where other "adults" have absolutely no control over their children, nor would they even consider taking a crying infant outside until it was quieted down. Once the last of my kids leave the house, I may try to enact this same set of rules, though Mrs. Johnd will be a hard sell once the grandkids start to show up.............

Personally, I think this is a wonderful set of rules, having spent way too much time in public places where other "adults" have absolutely no control over their children, nor would they even consider taking a crying infant outside until it was quieted down. Once the last of my kids leave the house, I may try to enact this same set of rules, though Mrs. Johnd will be a hard sell once the grandkids start to show up.............

I love being able to bring my kids along to these kinds of places where both kids and parents can kick back and have fun. But I can also totally understand the need to not be around that sort of 'crowd'. If your rules are clearly stated, then so be it. Some places around here are actually catering to both crowds by having a 'family' area and a 'nobody under 21 area'. I'm cool with that too.

So, this place today is a really young 'winery'. Baby vines and no production facility (though one is being built). Most, if not all, of the wines we had were made from Napa or Oregon grapes, and all were pretty nice. None were cheap, but I'd go back and would recommend the wines. And it was a really pretty setting today with the colonial/modern building and light snow falling all afternoon.

Last edited:
And then there was the time when our oldest was still at UCSB finishing her up her degree (2007). We flew out in the Spring for a long weekend and all headed up the coast to the wineries up north a few miles (think Sideways the movie) one of the wineries we pulled into and got out of the car had an infant in a carseat locked in the car and it was sitting in the sun........

We came within a minute or two of breaking the window with a rock but luckily after running in and telling the staff inside what was up they got the (by now drunk) parents to go out and retrieve the infant from the car.

Some adults don't care very much about winery rules.

Yep, as Fred said: Centerville and Chantilly. Fred and I live within a few miles of each other.

And then there was the time when our oldest was still at UCSB finishing her up her degree (2007). We flew out in the Spring for a long weekend and all headed up the coast to the wineries up north a few miles (think Sideways the movie) one of the wineries we pulled into and got out of the car had an infant in a carseat locked in the car and it was sitting in the sun........

We came within a minute or two of breaking the window with a rock but luckily after running in and telling the staff inside what was up they got the (by now drunk) parents to go out and retrieve the infant from the car.

Some adults don't care very much about winery rules.

Holy crap! Can't believe there wasn't an arrest at the end of that story.

Went to a sparkling wine class last night local, French, Itilian and Spanish wines. The speakers were the wine maker and a sommelier. Thank goodness we were sitting at the table closest to the speakers. There were some really rude groups of people there that made it a social hour rather than having an interest in the class. They were so loud even sitting as close as we were it was hard to hear and they wouldn't shut up even when they clang the wine glasses.

Went to a sparkling wine class last night local, French, Itilian and Spanish wines. The speakers were the wine maker and a sommelier. Thank goodness we were sitting at the table closest to the speakers. There were some really rude groups of people there that made it a social hour rather than having an interest in the class. They were so loud even sitting as close as we were it was hard to hear and they wouldn't shut up even when they clang the wine glasses.

That stinks. If you want to go drink and chat, do it somewhere that there aren't people trying to learn something. Hopefully, the wines were good and the speakers were informative.

I just finished racking the Riesling into secondary (although its sitting at 0.992) and moved the Bourbon Barrel Zin out of the Fermonster and into a carboy. I started the Zin on 1/12 and have been letting the skins sit in it for EM. Topped it up w/ the remaining packet of bourbon oak chips and added some FT Rouge. We shall see how it goes.

That stinks. If you want to go drink and chat, do it somewhere that there aren't people trying to learn something. Hopefully, the wines were good and the speakers were informative.

I just finished racking the Riesling into secondary (although its sitting at 0.992) and moved the Bourbon Barrel Zin out of the Fermonster and into a carboy. I started the Zin on 1/12 and have been letting the skins sit in it for EM. Topped it up w/ the remaining packet of bourbon oak chips and added some FT Rouge. We shall see how it goes.

The speakers were great, very energetic and they plated very well off of each other. The process is a little more involved than I thought but I guess I'm going to have to do a little more research on my own. Too much information too fast especially with the noise.

You're more than welcome to come get my argon if you want to do a longer EM.

Bottled the 2017 El Dorado Pinot Noir today. It is a fairly big Pinot, but delicious. I wish I still had access to these grapes (Harford).

Defeated the sloth and actually bottled a batch of wine. A WS SE Vieux Chateau Du Roi that I started on 6/14/2016 according to my notes. Used some RC-212 and 3 lbs of used Pinot Noir skins. Got 30 x 750ml of bottles plus some for my decanter, which I will try later this evening. I think beer will pair up better with ribs than the wine, so the wine will be dessert.

3-16-19_wine-1.jpg

3-16-19_wine-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back