What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allie, you have me intrigued. I just looked at the map and saw your pin. I'm gonna have to do some homework on NZ

I am trying to relate to how big NZ is and how far away is Australia, your weather now etc. This is a pretty cool learning experience.

Aussie is the biggest island in the world ( and also a continent).

NZ is very tiny in comparison Steve..

find a pile of questions.. I'll do my best to answer them.. ( and so will Wawa, Boozehag and crazy... all NZ'ers)

Allie

Just got back from the cabin where we spend most weekends.
This Memorial Day Weekend was uncommonly hot, with temps in the 90's, very unusual for Michigan.

Did lots of boating, drinking, a little fishing, drinking, got some of the chores done, and did some drinking.

My homemade wines were a big hit with the neigbhors. We sampled my strawberry, raspberry-kiwi, tropical breeze, and some skeeter pee. Lots of fun, can't wait till next Friday.
3910470517_83e10bfc93_b.jpg

A picture of the wife on the deck, with the lake and our boat in the background.

just got back from the cabin where we spend most weekends.
This memorial day weekend was uncommonly hot, with temps in the 90's, very unusual for michigan.

Did lots of boating, drinking, a little fishing, drinking, got some of the chores done, and did some drinking.

My homemade wines were a big hit with the neigbhors. We sampled my strawberry, raspberry-kiwi, tropical breeze, and some skeeter pee. Lots of fun, can't wait till next friday.
3910470517_83e10bfc93_b.jpg

a picture of the wife on the deck, with the lake and our boat in the background.

nice crownline is a 202

Yesterday was our Memorial Day BBQ and my graduation party. I also worked the main job from 5pm to 10pm.
About to head to work at the county around 9am. After that it's the kid's dr. appointment and grocery shopping.

My first day off & it's raining so I'm going to cook some bacon & eggs then deal with 2 of my SPs , the wine from juice I started , plus a kit wine today . So i guess it's a good thing it raining not missing any sun time . Other then a kit I have ordered from a store in Halifax I think I will be slowing down on my winemaking for the next month or so until some of the fresh fruits become avaiable .

BTW Dale I'm so jealous wish i was sitting on that deck relaxing .

my skeeter pee with my blackberry wine slurry looks real good. Started fermenting right away. Yeah! Also started some Mimosa flower wine...hope it improves...smells like cat spray.

Trying to get rid of gnats!

I have all my cuttings in the house for at least a week or so, and I got the dreaded fungus gnats!! They even got in the butter!! YIKES!

Googled how to get rid of them, and per the instructions I found, I made up a cocktail with a little sugar, soap and apple cider vinegar, to trap the adults. I did this this morning, and so far, nothing!! But they are buzzing around the baby cuttings like crazy!

JD is off to the store to pick up some sand per Google. To get rid of the larvae, I need to scoop 1/2" of their propagation mix out and toss it, and replace it with 1/2" of regular sand. Evidently those gnats will NOT lay their eggs in good old dry sand!

My day isn't over. I'll be scooping and replacing for a couple hours later this evening! Cooking a chicken for dinner and having a little wine at the moment.....
Suzi

worked today. then the kids dr appointment. Then went to Wine Me Up for half price bottles of wine. Yum!
Going to rack over the merlot in a few.

I have all my cuttings in the house for at least a week or so, and I got the dreaded fungus gnats!! They even got in the butter!! YIKES!

Googled how to get rid of them, and per the instructions I found, I made up a cocktail with a little sugar, soap and apple cider vinegar, to trap the adults. I did this this morning, and so far, nothing!! But they are buzzing around the baby cuttings like crazy!

JD is off to the store to pick up some sand per Google. To get rid of the larvae, I need to scoop 1/2" of their propagation mix out and toss it, and replace it with 1/2" of regular sand. Evidently those gnats will NOT lay their eggs in good old dry sand!

My day isn't over. I'll be scooping and replacing for a couple hours later this evening! Cooking a chicken for dinner and having a little wine at the moment.....
Suzi

I've battled fungus gnats for years as I bring plants in and out of the house for the winter/summer. The 1/2" layer of sand does work. They lay their eggs in the soil but cannot break through the layer of sand when they hatch and the mature gnats can't come back and lay eggs for future generations of the pesky critters.

Holy Moly Ice Wine!!

I racked my seven gallons of Vidal today and tried it. Wow was it good. About two months old and sg1.07.

Then BAMMM I tried the gallon with chocolate and it was outstanding. I can only hope it maintains the taste or gets even better by Christmas! :db

My wife made lasagne last night so after work I'll go home and put that in the oven for dinner tonight. Have birthday cake and relax tonight. A night with no meetings or fire dept items to take care of.

The best part of the day and the best b-day present I could hope to get has already happened. My son in Afghanistan called and we chatted for abt 20 minutes. I was hoping to hear from him and I did.

excavating for a pool. I'm running the shovel. It's a nice day for outside work.

Just bottled 1.5 gallons of applewine (not backsweetened) I plan to backsweeten the rest of it (3 gallons) bottled the 1 gallon welches white grapefruit and peach wine. Man that acid is kinda harsh at the finish.
Cleaned the house up with Kat. Her friend Liz is over drinking wine with us.

Just returned from a trip to Arizona for a wedding. Getting ready for a trip to Idaho for another wedding next week. My tea and concentrate wines were doing great when I got back; as were my baby chicks, and most of my garden. Taste tested some of my Shitaki wine, pretty good. Started some of it down the road to vinegar, we'll see how that tastes and decide what to do with the rest.

Relaxing while working from home today. Was out last night pumping basements until 1:00 am last night. I'm tired today. More rain on the way....

Can't decide what to do today should I go to Halifax & look at the sofa & love seat set or wait until later .

Latest posts

Back