What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it was a very exciting game.

It was. A lot of lead changes. The Lake Taylor team is dangerous and put up some big plays for TD's. Woodgrove is more a grind and wear down your opponent style. They started going to the air more in the 2nd half and it worked. Some huge height advantages and they made good use of them.

Getting ready to go to a Football/Christmas party. I just finished tweeking some Barbera and a Zin/Syrah blend and decided to bottle a few to take. The Zin/Syrah was in a 6 gallon carboy and the Barbera in a 5. Took 2 bottles out of the Barbera and topped it with the Zin/Syrah blend. Then took 2 bottles of the Zin/Syrah and transfered the rest to a 5 gallon carboy. While I was cleaning the tubing and racking canes I heard a noise but couldn't figure out where it came from. When I went to lift the 6 gallon to clean it, see the pic. This really could have happened at a less opportune time so I feel pretty lucky.

Broken Carboy.jpg

wow that would have been some mess to clean I have a couple of carboys that have a lines on the bottom that look like there from a mold or casting and always think about this happening to me one day but have used them for many years so far so good but who knows if it does happen i hope I'm lucky as you were.

(Playing) I started with 1G bottled 100% Apple juice, added: 1t pectic enzyme.
Also: cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, to my suit, like I cook (random)!
1/2 lb golden raisins
then sugar to 1.090
I plan to add campden tomorrow, and EC-1118 a day later.

I like my wines at 1.1, but I believe the raisins will add to it.
If that makes it sweeter, there won't be any chaptalization.

(Playing) I started with 1G bottled 100% Apple juice, added: 1t pectic enzyme.
Also: cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, to my suit, like I cook (random)!
1/2 lb golden raisins
then sugar to 1.090
I plan to add campden tomorrow, and EC-1118 a day later.

I like my wines at 1.1, but I believe the raisins will add to it.
If that makes it sweeter, there won't be any chaptalization.

Raisins are about 2/3 sugar. So you added approx. 1/3 lb additional sugar with the raisins.

Not so great weather up here. Visited with friends last night (she had like 1000+ porcelain Santas on display, yikes) and on the drive home couldn't see very far in front of the car (and no alcohol was consumed). Men's breakfast this morning, foraged for cookie baking supplies for my wife, then started doing odds and ends around the house (since she's making cookies I can't bottle my next batch). About to leave to go pick up my oldest at BWI. He's scheduled to stay here with us for two weeks (second year in a row). Looking forward to catching up since we haven't seen him in person (other than with facetime) since last Christmas.

He just texted me, got checked in and found out they moved him up to first class for free. Probably very room left on the plane since it's near a few AFB's, and most are probably going the cheap route and not first class. He also said that his ticket was around $90 for the direct flight (VPS to BWI)($200 for the round trip) and he just got a credit on top of that for his checked bag since they waived the fee (for being in the active service). Nice, Merry Christmas to him!

He just texted me, got checked in and found out they moved him up to first class for free. Probably very room left on the plane since it's near a few AFB's, and most are probably going the cheap route and not first class. He also said that his ticket was around $90 for the direct flight (VPS to BWI)($200 for the round trip) and he just got a credit on top of that for his checked bag since they waived the fee (for being in the active service). Nice, Merry Christmas to him!

Fantastic!!! Well deserved.

It is a crappy weather day, indeed. We did Wreaths Across America earlier - did a nearby cemetery this year instead of Arlington. Fortunately, it seems the weather doesn't scare people off for it. A great turnout, but I'm glad to be back in the warm, dry confines of my home.

Just got back from 3 days hunting at the ranch, heating up a big vat of water to boiling to start the prep process for the 60, wine will be in its two year home by the end of the day. Stoked!!

Nice! Just how long does it take to boil enough vats to prep a 60gal barrel?
Even with the big crab/brew pots I imagine quite a while. Unless you’ve got yourself a cauldron over a firepit!

Nice day here.

So I :

Made up some venison jerky on the Traeger
Pitched yeast on some beer wort
Checked out the beehives to be sure they had food
Rolled up a bunch of bird netting I was avoiding
And pulled a hamstring for a finale....slipped on a wet step.

I'm officially retired! (and will be coming out of retirement in very early 2019. :( )

Rack-a-palooza on the 2018's this morning, followed by a white elephant lunch with a group of current and former co-workers. Should be fun.

Back