What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been in San Antonio for the last two weeks. My Mom fell and broke her wrist pretty badly about 4 weeks ago. We had to make the hard decision that it was time for her to go into assisted living. Lots of tears of course all the way around. Today is moving day for her. Tomorrow I head back home just in time for Xmas with Mrs IB. My mom will now be 5 minutes away from my sister who has been run ragged for the last two years since my Dad passed with ever increasing trips back and forth between San Antonio and San Marcos which is about an hour drive each way. Hoping she adjust to this new life without too much difficulty. Hoping 2019 is a better (and happier) year for her.

Been in San Antonio for the last two weeks. My Mom fell and broke her wrist pretty badly about 4 weeks ago. We had to make the hard decision that it was time for her to go into assisted living. Lots of tears of course all the way around. Today is moving day for her. Tomorrow I head back home just in time for Xmas with Mrs IB. My mom will now be 5 minutes away from my sister who has been run ragged for the last two years since my Dad passed with ever increasing trips back and forth between San Antonio and San Marcos which is about an hour drive each way. Hoping she adjust to this new life without too much difficulty. Hoping 2019 is a better (and happier) year for her.

Difficult adjustment for all Mike, I hope it all goes as well as possible for all of you, and that you have a very Merry Christmas indeed!!

Sorry to hear. Hoping for a smooth and happy transition.

I'm officially retired! (and will be coming out of retirement in very early 2019. :( )

Rack-a-palooza on the 2018's this morning, followed by a white elephant lunch with a group of current and former co-workers. Should be fun.

Well, that didn't get too far. Upon racking the 2nd of 5 wines, I discovered a pretty large crack (or series of cracks) in the carboy that was holding the Syrah. I have (had) only one spare carboy. That just went into the recycling. Could've been far worse, I guess. I did taste all 5 wines and am sad to report that they're all pretty 'meh' - even the HHH Merlot. Nothing particularly notable in any of them. The Petite Sirah is OK, and I may end up blending a fair amount of that into each of the other 4 to beef them up a bit. Unless something improves by a good amount, I may be looking for a Lanza source next season.

They're so young Jim. I'm sure they will be going through a bunch of changes over time hopefully for the better. I just tried my Lanza PV and HHH CF. They haven't completed MLF yet A have to say I don't hate them. I just don't know what a month/month 1/2 wine is supposed to taste like, they're harsh.

Had a nice lunch out with some good friends at Coopers Hawk - even the kids liked it. Been cooking meatballs and sauce all afternoon for dinner tomorrow night.

Spent the day cleaning out the garage whose sole attribute is four walls and a roof that lets in daylight. Never seen so many spiders. Would like to set up a primary fermentation and winemaking equipment storage area. Discovered mold beginning to form on some of my picking buckets, really dismayed. Spent some more time washing them off with k-meta. Not sure if leaving the garage door open regularly will help with airflow and reduce mold. Also purchased a bluetooth thermometer/hygrometer. Will get it set up to see what the ambient temperature is like.

I'm sure her proximity to your sister will help justify all of the pain the move produced in your heart. Here's hoping that 2019 is not only better for her but your sister and you!

Thanks Craig. My Sister sprung her for today and took her to house just abut 5 mins away.

I'm sure her proximity to your sister will help justify all of the pain the move produced in your heart. Here's hoping that 2019 is not only better for her but your sister and you!

Spent all day with an IT person I used to use but for some unknown reason, probably price, changed companies. Evidently, they provided a bottom level virus protection and somehow stopped providing back up. Well I got hacked last Thursday and today the IT person found a note from the hacker asking to be contacted for a settlement in which they would provide password or something to restore my files. All of my current files are corrupt.

Spent all day with an IT person I used to use but for some unknown reason, probably price, changed companies. Evidently, they provided a bottom level virus protection and somehow stopped providing back up. Well I got hacked last Thursday and today the IT person found a note from the hacker asking to be contacted for a settlement in which they would provide password or something to restore my files. All of my current files are corrupt.

Oh no!!! That sucks!

Ran a few errands, got a haircut and got reserved some ski rentals for the kids in anticipation of an upcoming trip. Also put together my new patio heater. I think I'll be roasting a chicken on the grill tomorrow and just sitting outside during the whole process to enjoy some propan-ey warmth. :D

Ran a few errands, got a haircut and got reserved some ski rentals for the kids in anticipation of an upcoming trip. Also put together my new patio heater. I think I'll be roasting a chicken on the grill tomorrow and just sitting outside during the whole process to enjoy some propan-ey warmth. :D

I see you are enjoying your short lived retirement.

Watched the oldest Son pack up his stuff, said our goodbyes and watched him get in the car with my Wife for the trip to BWI. He got right through security (they give most military members and easy ride through) and his plane takes off in an hour or so. I'm bummed but very fortunate he could spend the second Christmas in a row with us. If things go well we'll see him later this Spring when my daughter graduates from high school. I promised him a brisket on the offset smoker.

Everyone always said they can't wait until they're out of the house. I thought I'd be like that, but I think I'm changing my mind...

Doorbell just rang and my niece who is about to start training on the old USS Eisenhower in a few weeks stopped by. She'll deploy next Winter. What a bonus!

Update: he landed fine, lot's of T-storms in the panhandle, but he said it was the smoothest landing he's had so far. Give that pilot a drink or two!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back