What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This just occurred to me. Disney puts out Frozen a movie about it being very cold and it is abnormally cold this year. Maybe they have discovered how to control the weather.

They have. We were in Orlando in November and it was snowing in the Magic Kingdom.

What are your plans after the wallpaper removal? Just curious :)

was just gonna paint maybe with a feather duster so you can't see how wavy the walls are but as I was doing it I thought maybe some panel board at the bottom and textured wall paper at the top would save me my back and time. Was trying to do it as cheap as possible... that was early this morning though before I got into it! lol

Leave the wallpaper up and just paint over it. Easy as pi.

We actually had no choice but to do that with a border in our kitchen. Tried taking it off but we pulled chunks of the plaster off with it

yep had plaster all over the place!

You have to love the old girls. The house we live in was build well over 100 years ago it she shows her age. Most the floors are crooked and trying to find a stud it almost hopeless.

Went to LHBS yesterday and had a FIELD DAY! Bought some new bungs and airlocks, a wine thief, a 5 gallon GLASS carboy (which I noticed when I got home that they rang me up for a 6 gallon Better Bottle, their error in my favor), corks and misc ingredients I needed.

Then I stopped at GFS and stocked up on sugar (LOTS!!!!) and berries for this month's run of Dragon Blood. Though I still need to get pick up some Old Orchard Cherry Pomegranate juice while it's on sale and I have coupons AND at Meijer Strawberries are $1/LB... time to stock up there too!

Unfortunately the LHBS didn't have the size of bungs I needed OR pink PVC shrink capsules for my sister's baby shower.

Problem is I can't seem to find the pink shrink capsules anywhere that isn't RAPING me on shipping. It sucks because I don't need many, only 5-10. My sister asked me to make her PINK PENGUIN wine with all Pink, labels, etc as prizes for baby shower games.

*SIGH* I shall continue to scour the net.

Unfortunately the LHBS didn't have the size of bungs I needed OR pink PVC shrink capsules for my sister's baby shower.

Problem is I can't seem to find the pink shrink capsules anywhere that isn't RAPING me on shipping.

Call one of the sponsors, he may be able to help you out and his shipping is very reasonable. Doug at Brew and Wine Supply - 888.225.5093 or 636.797.8155. His web site probably isn't totally up to date after his big move.

Happy day, the turbo yeast showed up in the mailbox today. Let's hope things get moving again in the next day or two.

Ugh!! Head buried in tax stuff for the last 2 days! Can't wait til this is over lol I hate tax time!

Carolyn

I am beginning to hate tax time as well, Carolyn! I do tax returns on the side and I have a handful of paying customers and I do them for my brother and his children. They do not pay and I am not complaining but where can you go to get your taxes done and get free beer for the evening and free supper? Will my brother figured out how to do that............just ask your sister, :slp

Ya I happen to be that sibling that knows how to do the taxes! Luckily my sister goes to my Dads and begs his wife to do it! It's just time consuming - doing business taxes... I'll be doing my daughters' simple returns as well and that's enough for me lol! I've got tax pain :)

Carolyn

I submitted ours about two weeks ago, and got my refund cheque in the mail yesterday! Woot! Now maybe we can get the car fixed, and the bathroom patched.

I'm also hoping to weasel a bit off the top for a really good, high end wine kit. ::

I submitted ours about two weeks ago, and got my refund cheque in the mail yesterday! Woot! Now maybe we can get the car fixed, and the bathroom patched.

I'm also hoping to weasel a bit off the top for a really good, high end wine kit. ::

Love it Rae!! That's the one thing that motivates me at tax time is the return! Can't wait! I'm definitely going to be dipping in for some type of wine kit! Or something :)

Carolyn

You have to love the old girls. The house we live in was build well over 100 years ago it she shows her age. Most the floors are crooked and trying to find a stud it almost hopeless.

try 150 yrs old if not 175 and I found a wall of either marble or limestone yesterday, was thinking it was marble because first I uncovered a smooth marble like panel the wallpaper had pulled right off that with nothing applied to it ,But I ran into some rough stuff too going to do some sanding, paint and gloss to it to look like marble it's gonna be cool! Got a dirt floor basement too. In the room I'm doing it has an old wood floor with lots of cracks B/T the panels and lots of areas that aren't varnished and nothing done to them

Last edited:
try 150 yrs old if not 175

True story: My house is not quite 100 years old. Maybe 15 years ago, I was back visiting my family where I grew up (in Philadelphia). Many of my old neighbors had since moved out to the suburbs, most of them into McMansions. We got together and, as 30-somethings, our conversation turned to houses. Now, I was confident that I had the oldest house in the group, and mine is rock-solid, so I was biding my time. One by one, the people complained about poor construction, or about their furnaces or water heaters hitting 15 yrs old and needing replacing, or the like. The little sister of my best friend growing up said, oh, she didn't really know about those problems, because her house was pretty old.

"Yeah, my house is pretty old, too," I said (with the thought balloon above my head waiting to pronounce my house was about 85 years old at that time). "How old is your house?"

"Oh," she said, "I am not really sure." The oldest part is about 250 years old, but most of it is less than 200."

Ulp, I forgot I was back east! :slp

and although there are some cracks in the walls they don't build them like they use to THATS FOR SURE!

and although there are some cracks in the walls they don't build them like they use to THATS FOR SURE!

True. I've seen new houses that are trash and falling apart. My grandmother's home is well over 60 years old and has been perfect in almost every way. Of course its been well kept.

Our first house was 135 years old.

Had no insulation, old radiator heat, pocket-sash windows so it was freezing in winter.

The foundation was made of rocks and earth with crumbling in the corners.

The basement had a dirt floor. and wiring that dated back to T.A. Edison.

It had no kitchen to speak of.

The floors were sagging and the whole house never even heard of the words Plumb and Level.

"This old house"??? You can have it! We worked our butts off to restore this old house only to sell it for exactly what we originally paid for it.

For me, modern is the way to go!

"This old house"??? You can have it! We worked our butts off to restore this old house only to sell it for exactly what we originally paid for it.

For me, modern is the way to go!

John, I think this is how you meant to play this:

"And there is a reason for that!"

:)

Back