What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
backsweetened 8 gallons of Skeeter Pee, got another round of bottles sanitizing, and checking on the oaked Roija, Pinot Noir, and Barolo. Definately need to bottle to free up some carboys....

Blending, blending, blending all the live long day! :w

Blended up the 2011 wines made from CA Grapes via FineVineWines. Had 2 (6G) Carboys of Cab Sauv, 2 (6G) Carboys of Merlot, 6G of Malbec, 6G of Cab Franc, 6G of Petit Verdot. Thanks to WA state wineries who have mastered the art of the blended red wine and go so far as to list on their labels not only the varietals but also the % of each in their blends. Because of them I did not have to reinvent the wheel.

What was really amazing was that the Merlot pH got away from me and ended up around 3.35. I was still able to bring all the wines inline with the Petit Verdot that ended up with a pH of almost 4.00. 6 of the blends ened up with a pH of 3.55 to 3.70 and the last blend, my left overs so to speak was 1/3 Cab Franc, 1/3 Malbec, 1/3 Petit Verdot when blended up had a pH of 3.79 and for such an unusual blend tasted very nice. Will let them meld for a week or two and then start the bottling. 18 cases all together! :sm

I finally got around to labeling some of the stuff that has been bottled this year. Twenty cases labeled and set on their sides. I seriously need additional storage space or I might have to quit winemaking for a while. Maybe I will just convert my Garage into my winery.

I'm trying to get some work done around the farm as I recover from the Mumford and sons stopover. My small home town has never seen that much action. There must have been 3 acres of portajohns.

I should rack my strawberry wine tonight. Not too sure if in feeling that ambitious though

Gotta check on the chard shortly. If the SG is low enough, I'll rack from the barrel to secondary. Then the California Grand Red will go from old barrel to the new (currently chard) barrel. Then Amarone will go from glass into the old barrel. Then I will degass and stabilize the Pinot noir. If the chard isn't low enough, I'll degass and stabilize the Pinot and sit on my arse until its time to start working on dinner. :D

Mowed the lawns, watered all the gardens, fed the cats at the winery. Drank a gallon of water and still don't have to pee. It's that hot out.

Gotta check on the chard shortly. If the SG is low enough, I'll rack from the barrel to secondary. Then the California Grand Red will go from old barrel to the new (currently chard) barrel. Then Amarone will go from glass into the old barrel. Then I will degass and stabilize the Pinot noir. If the chard isn't low enough, I'll degass and stabilize the Pinot and sit on my arse until its time to start working on dinner. :D

Chard and blueberry port were both sitting around 1.040. So I handled the Pinot. Now wasting time playing video games with my two boys. :sm

Blending, blending, blending all the live long day! :w

Blended up the 2011 wines made from CA Grapes via FineVineWines. Had 2 (6G) Carboys of Cab Sauv, 2 (6G) Carboys of Merlot, 6G of Malbec, 6G of Cab Franc, 6G of Petit Verdot. Thanks to WA state wineries who have mastered the art of the blended red wine and go so far as to list on their labels not only the varietals but also the % of each in their blends. Because of them I did not have to reinvent the wheel.

What was really amazing was that the Merlot pH got away from me and ended up around 3.35. I was still able to bring all the wines inline with the Petit Verdot that ended up with a pH of almost 4.00. 6 of the blends ened up with a pH of 3.55 to 3.70 and the last blend, my left overs so to speak was 1/3 Cab Franc, 1/3 Malbec, 1/3 Petit Verdot when blended up had a pH of 3.79 and for such an unusual blend tasted very nice. Will let them meld for a week or two and then start the bottling. 18 cases all together! :sm

Blending!!!!!! You better post up your blends in the blenders post. :ft

Here is the link:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/blenders-39865/

Sitting on the back patio with Gus drinking a leftover glass of wine from the first bottling of the 2011 vintage of wine made from California grapes. I call the blend.... Lo Bueno, lo Malo y lo Feo. It is knocking my socks off. This was the "leftovers" of 3 carboys. Cant wait to bottle the rest of the carboys if this is any indication of what's in store. This is a blend of Cab Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot. The nose is full of dark fruits, the finish is looooong and strong and the oak is just flat out amazing. Can't wait to lay this down for a few months more and pop a cork. :sm

1236952_4704082098945_749726947_n.jpg

Since I'm stuck in DC today, I'm working on my business plan some more (thanks Sam for Lakeview's help). Meeting an accountant to assist with the LLC on Tuesday after work.

Looking forward to the PA juices this fall. The wife is craving sweet Freedonia....

I did not plan on doing anything related to wine this weekend. Instead, that is all I did.

Yesterday my brother in law walked the vineyard with me and noted that some of my Oberlin Noir in the sunniest spot were turning over-ripe, so I tested the Brix of both varieties of reds (Oberlin Noir, Foch). 19 and 21 Brix, respectively, ready to go for here. First year the Foch ever went before the Cayuga White (currently 12 Brix).

Yesterday, we pulled the Foch and crushed. Today, after one day on skins with pectic enzyme, pressed the Foch and added yeast. Had to harvest the Oberlin Noir solo today (with the "help" of my 6yo and 3yo) so it took forever.

Will likely end up with ~4.5-5gal finished win of each. 3X+ the yield of last year when I got 3gal combining them all together. :D

After 2 long weeks the bedroom remodel project is complete. Wednesday is the first day of first grade for my little one. I took the day off. I may see about bottling the 2012 muscadine that has been carboy aging for a year. I didn't oak any of the noble this year. I may still toss some cubes in one of the carboys and let it go for a few more months. I'm hoping to get the Chilean juices off racked on Wednesday and clean up the cellar in preparation for the PA juices which will be ready soon.

Harvest time at Broken Bridge, we along with 25 people picked 7200 pounds of Brianna grapes on Saturday, they looked wonderful!

Today I had a very important job! I had to go to Kelman Bottles for a load of wine bottles. I ended up with 50 cases so now I can bottle my Chilean Malbec and Carmenere and clear the winery for the California and local juices this fall.

Last night, I racked the Chard out of the new barrel and into secondary. California Grand Red went from Old Barrel, to new for a brief stay. Amarone went into the old barrel. Then I took the family to the Potomac Nationals game. You've gotta love Monday night games there - $1 for bleacher seats (kid 5 and under free) and $1 hot dogs! A cheap night out with the family.

starting the cleaning of 100 lbs of kiwis...but have lots of help for that.
bottle my strawberry/cantaloupe
started another batch of blackberry port
and weed eating...and it is hot as heck here .
and we had 3 inches of rain, so the skitters are bad..real bad.

Latest posts

Back