What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added Super Kleer to the Mojito Skeeter pee this am. It was almost clear but not quite there. Decided it needed a boost. I also back sweetened the 2012 Bronze Muscadine. Looking to get that bottled soon to free up some room on the bench. After my nieces birthday party I may try to back sweeten the Noble Muscadine and print some labels..

Managed to back sweeten the Noble last night. I printed my Red and Bronze labels. I'll be heading down shortly to bottle the Bronze. Looking forward to getting the bench cleared off in preparation of Fall Juices from Presque Isle.

Racked the blueberry port to the carboy(s) and started the Black Forest Port this morning.

This is a picture of my wife with almost 300 pounds of chambourcin grapes from a very small farm in Illinois.
You may notice that they still have stems and aren't crushed. It only took my wife and I about 5 hrs to destem and crush them. I did help, but she did most of the work. They are now in that 32 gallon blue barrel and another 20 gallon barrel. The yeast will be added later tonight. Great grapes. 22.5 brix 0.8 TA. No plans to add
any sugar to raise alcohol or mess with the TA. I will probably add malolactic bacteria before the primary fermentation is complete.

If you live near the St. Louis area, check Craigslist for Chambourcin. That is how I found these. I think they have a ton or more left.

ForumRunner_20130902_091310.jpg

Well yesterday, racked the Welches, Cab Sauv. and the Shiraz. Also bottled 6 gallons of Skeeter Pee took my first taste even the wife liked it. Today bringing some SP, Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio to my brother-in-law's BBQ. :h

Waiting to get on the plane to go back to Ontario. If I could pick where to live and work it would be Alberta for sure. You can't beat that view from the top.

Also, I'm wondering how my watermelon wine is making out at home. When I left the sg was sitting around 1.008 and it should have been racked into a carboy the following day. But the plane would not wait for fermentation to finish. Oh well, this batch was a little wonky to start with so if its gone down hill it's not going to be a major lost.

image-1051736429.jpg

Racked and sweetened up my batch of "Blue Blood" blueberry Skeeter Pee today. I am very surprised at how wonderful this tastes! And it's crystal clear with no filtering.

IMG_9706.jpg

IMG_9707.jpg

I visited a couple wineries in Northeastern Ohio today. Met an old-timer at Markko Vineyards and enjoyed sampling some of his wines!
This is Arnie, been making wine for 47 years!

Arnie.jpg

Phil that must have been really interesting as he is an icon in the Ohio Valley. He is also one of the featured speakers this year at the national AWS conference in Sandusky Ohio. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XG8gQIVRPg[/ame]

Phil that must have been really interesting as he is an icon in the Ohio Valley. He is also one of the featured speakers this year at the national AWS conference in Sandusky Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XG8gQIVRPg
Dan, we had a great conversation! He told me all about how he got started and his respect for Doug Moorhead. I must have spent an hour or so talking with him and really wish I could spend a couple weeks during harvest with him! I am sure I could learn a lot!

EXTREMELY interesting man to talk to. I took about 2 hours last fall and we talked about the good doctor and his vinyard in NY. His Riesling was great.

Yesterday, I made the trip over to Doug's to press off the crab apple. Not only did I get a good squeeze, but he proceeded to let me taste some great wines and the lemoncello (which almost put me on my kiester). Thanks Doug!!!

Chillin with a glass (or 2) of 2010 vintage Dandelion Wine after 2 days of sausage & wine making. DW is my pain killer for the night. Lost the top of my thumb on 1 batch. I really need to be more careful when I have a knife in my hand....DOH....

:gn

Last night I found time to rack the watermelon into a carboy. Should turn out pretty good once cleared and degassed

image-1739764919.jpg

Washed and sanitized 80 bottles for my bottling party tomorrow night. The kids will help with the bottling, only problem they will each go home with a case of dad's wine. Lol. Went to my LHBS tonight for a tasting of the wine made from the grapes they are offering this year. Leaning towards the merlot for myself and some chardonnay for the mrs. Bakervinyard

Having a new front entry door installed today. Other than that, I'm waiting on the arrival of my grandson who is due tomorrow so I can make plans to go pick peaches from my cousin and start to schedule when I'll be picking up juice from Presque Isle.

Having a new front entry door installed today. Other than that, I'm waiting on the arrival of my grandson who is due tomorrow so I can make plans to go pick peaches from my cousin and start to schedule when I'll be picking up juice from Presque Isle.

Good deal Doug. Yesterday was my first press with Bacchus!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Good deal Doug. Yesterday was my first press with Bacchus!

I received my price list and dates in the mail today. Should work out well. Baby will be born long before the 19th of September. Looking at the list I'll be up there just about every weekend...last month Lowes got my money, this month Presque Isle will.

Latest posts

Back