What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is the day I do the final packing up of the bedroom before I start demolition tomorrow. On my lunch break I may sneak out and try to get some more elderberries. Birds cleanned out one location I checked yesterday and the other I kept falling down the hill due to lack of traction on the grass in my tennis shoes. Will head back up with boots on today. I figure it's probably the last weekend I'll be able to pick. I have enough for one batch now...

.........I kept falling down the hill due to lack of traction on the grass in my tennis shoes. Will head back up with boots on today. I figure it's probably the last weekend I'll be able to pick. I have enough for one batch now...

LOL, you are so dedicated!

AS I mentioned earlier, I took one gallon of peach wine and mixed it with 750 ml of peach brandy. The first person other than me to taste it said, "well, it's pretty good in a cough medicine kind of way"

I tried a few swigs of it cold and I gotta say, it tastes like sh . . . . . no, more like horse pi . . . . . not, really more like my friend says, some pretty good cough medicine. Now I got 11 half bottles of useless liquid in them. Maybe I will try again in 6 months and see how it tastes. I cannot see it getting any better though.

AS I mentioned earlier, I took one gallon of peach wine and mixed it with 750 ml of peach brandy. The first person other than me to taste it said, "well, it's pretty good in a cough medicine kind of way"

I tried a few swigs of it cold and I gotta say, it tastes like sh . . . . . no, more like horse pi . . . . . not, really more like my friend says, some pretty good cough medicine. Now I got 11 half bottles of useless liquid in them. Maybe I will try again in 6 months and see how it tastes. I cannot see it getting any better though.

Why did you add peach brandy? Did you backsweeten this and if so to what level?

How old is it? Peach takes time
Takes longer if the acidity is outta whack
Takes longer if its drier

It will take time for that brandy to mesh

If the wine itself is under 18 months, I believe you
If the brandy's been in there less than 6 months, I believe you
If you wait it out, I believe it (and you) will 'come around'

But he is saying it taste like cough syrup, I'm thinking way to much sugar and that will never age out. But it is fixable.

drove to Topsfield MA to meet up with 30 or so friends from my other hobby (yep...it's true, I have another hobby), the competitive growers, tomorrow we will tour some of their properties to see whats going on, followed by an amazing Lobster & clam bake!

All fresh seafood direct from Gloucester, the best clam chowder and lobsters that I've ever had, not to mention the marinated steak tips and corn..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, these guys will all have some form of microbrew beer...and tons of it, unfortunately, I don't have any to contribute, but I did bring a few bottles of wine.

If anyone is from MA, we had dinner at the 1640 Hart House, the building was built in 1640, and folks like George Washington stayed there, this place is filled with history, and it is supposed to be haunted as all hell, so we walked around all the dimly lit rooms trying to see something move....lol

Glad to hear you had a great time Tom,,it is nice to have "other" hobbies while waiting for the wine to be ready!! MMMMMMM clams and lobster plus steak tips and corn,,,sound like a good time to me!!

I spent the day cleaning 4 cases of bottles and have another 3 waiting, tomorrow or ummm today much later cleaning them. Then to bottle the green apple reisling and blackberry cab. Backsweeten my luva bella reisling from the fall and the chilian moscoto from the spring,,oh then to clean and get the bottles to ready for them,,,busy weekend!

Why did you add peach brandy? Did you backsweeten this and if so to what level?

I was going to backsweeten but it was well above 1.01 after adding the brandy. I just wanted a brandy kick

the wine is a year old. I will give it six months and try again. I may test this time by adding some of that to my other peach wine that is bulk ageing.

Last edited:
:I have been away from my winery in Alabama for over a couple of months. I thought I would be gone six weeks but it turned into more. I left 5 gallons of blackberry Jam wine fermenting. It was in a tub of water with aquarium heater and pump to keep the temp at 75. When I got back it was bubbling. The water was only a quarter of what it was but the heater and pump were still working.

My scant records on this show that I started this on April 22nd. The starting sg was 1.085. It should have been stopped fermenting long ago. The SG is now only 1.02. It is producing a lot of Co2. I have stirred it a little today and will check later to see if it ferments anymore. I have my doubts but who knows. It tastes dang good. I think I used near 3 bottles per gallon. I planned on mixing it with some muscadine I made a good while back. When I made that muscadine (with 45 pounds of grapes) I also made a muscadine blackberry jam blend that finished out fine. It is truly a good wine.

I am going to blend the five gallons of muscadine with the 5 gallons of blackberry jam in hopes of it turning out as good. I am confident it will if the blackberry will ferment further. Even if it does not, I may stabilize it and mix it and hopefully have a combined sg of near 1.01 which the other wine is.

So now I wait.

But, I have plenty to do, I got to bottle 11 gallons of Coastal White:

After that, I will bottle some Blackberry Skeeter Pee I made for myself and cousin who will share it with friends on her pontoon boat.

So, I am going to be busy. Gots to wash a lot of bottles dang it. But, after I wash em, I will fill em, and then drain em! I like that:dg

Washed and removed labels from 65 bottles, getting ready to bottle 6 gals of Strawberry Merlot and 6 gals of Peach Chardonnay. Also checked my Chillean Pinot Noir, fermentation got stuck @ 1.010 but it restarted when I was on vacation, now @ 1.004. Getting there slowly. Bakervinyard

Unexpectedly acquired over 100 pounds of rhubarb. All processed, sliced, bagged and resting in the freezer.

Was up late with my son watching the meteors, very cool, but I'll admit that just spending a few hrs "star gazing" and just talking about everything with my son was the best part!
I plan on measuring my giant pumpkins, one should be over 500 lbs gaining 30 lbs a day, and the other should be well over 200 lbs gaining at least 20-30 lbs a day.
My plan to brew a Lagunitus IPA clone probably won't materialize today, just too tired to put a dedicated 6 hrs into it...lol..BUT...If you haven't tried this particular beer, you owe it to yourself, it is flat out amazing!

Was up late with my son watching the meteors, very cool, but I'll admit that just spending a few hrs "star gazing" and just talking about everything with my son was the best part!
I plan on measuring my giant pumpkins, one should be over 500 lbs gaining 30 lbs a day, and the other should be well over 200 lbs gaining at least 20-30 lbs a day.
My plan to brew a Lagunitus IPA clone probably won't materialize today, just too tired to put a dedicated 6 hrs into it...lol..BUT...If you haven't tried this particular beer, you owe it to yourself, it is flat out amazing!

Tom how many time do we have to repeat the rules. No pictures, the whole pumpkin thing is your imagination looking at a can of pumpkin.

Getting the house and garage ready to be invaded by neighbors. It's my turn to host the Sunday fish fry.

Spent the last 2 days gutting the plaster walls in the bedroom, tearing out 2 triangular corner closets in the BR, replacing a door to a cheesey a$$ deck that was there when he house was a duplex and replaced with a 3x6 window. All in all I ended up damn near filling a 10 yard dumpster today with all the waste. Need to go get 20+ sheets of drywall, trying to determine if I have it in me to carry them upstairs of if I should go get a cold pee from the fridge and declare the day done.

On a side note, I did find a bottle of Carter's Little Liver pills in the wall. Apparently they are good for Headache, Torpid Liver, Constipation and you're complexion. They are in a little glass vial with a tiny 1/4 diameter cork.

Last edited:
Back