What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug if ou make this please do not share it with me. I tried some this summer and holy stinks, you had to plug your nose to taste it.

A couple years ago we stopped at Kirkwood Vinyard in Summersville WV. They talked my better half into trying some RAMP wine. She said it was just plain nasty and smelled about the same.

The flavor and odor of ramps is usually compared to a combination of onions and garlic, and the garlic odor is particularly strong. Strong enough, in fact, that even ramp-lovers will advise caution. If you sit down to a big meal of ramps, don't be surprised if people continue to keep their distance after a few days have passed!

Well just got home from helping Julie pick 6 buckets of muscadines, LOL I think the heat is a bit to much for her she said it was really hot. I said it is just barely getting warm you should've been here a few weeks ago then it was hot now just barely warm. She seemed to enjoy picking them although she didn't know you pick them like berries not grapes(you know one at a time not in clusters) now that was funny.

She seemed to enjoy picking them although she didn't know you pick them like berries not grapes(you know one at a time not in clusters) now that was funny.

No Kidding I didn't know that either. Can you post some Pics. No silly not of Julie but of the grapes!:pic

Well just got home from helping Julie pick 6 buckets of muscadines, LOL I think the heat is a bit to much for her she said it was really hot. I said it is just barely getting warm you should've been here a few weeks ago then it was hot now just barely warm. She seemed to enjoy picking them although she didn't know you pick them like berries not grapes(you know one at a time not in clusters) now that was funny.

I'm really hoping to make it down to pick with you next year if the Muscadines are available again. I think that would make for a really enjoyable day, being able to see the entire process from vine to wine so to speak.

Were you able to speak to Julie about the elderberry question you had?

Anyway, I racked off my chablis and siphoned off a sample of my latest elderberry. All I can say is "this is going to be a good one." Can't wait to get the next batch going as well as the Muscadine. I saw Waldo's video on processing the muscadine. Is there any preferred way of doing this other than or in addition to what he showed in his video. Julie and I were planning on getting together and using her newly purchased press that so many here missed out on.

hopefully they'll be available next year if not I'll find another place I'm sure I'm kinda like that always looking always finding stuff, here's some pics of the grapes
0920101709a.jpg

0920101709.jpg

0920101708.jpg

Nice, that place is loaded! Are those Scuppernongs there also or just unripe Muscies? Do you check the grapes with a refractometer before picking?

the first ones are a close up of the nobles, then the reds,and the scupps/bronze are on the bottom.

Nice, that place is loaded! Are those Scuppernongs there also or just unripe Muscies? Do you check the grapes with a refractometer before picking?
No don't check with refractometer if they are just starting to raisin or the skins are loose normally it's time to pick also when they get to peak they will feel sticky somewhat like their leaking at least thats how I do them,

Thanks for sharing, I did not know there were grapes that were picked like that. Julie must be in seventh heaven!
she seemed to love it other than the heat kept saying I'd like to see you up with us come winter then see who's crying about the weather.LOL

Cool, they dont grow around here and hey I was right thinking the lighetr ones were Scupps and not unripe Muscs! Really wish they grew around here though cause Ive had Musc wine a gfew times and everytime was awesome!

well this will be my first year doing a ton like this but it is a good wine if done right

Cool, they dont grow around here and hey I was right thinking the lighetr ones were Scupps and not unripe Muscs! Really wish they grew around here though cause Ive had Musc wine a gfew times and everytime was awesome!

Had a small batch (~6.5 ltrs) of Apple/Cherry blend that was ready for bottling (juice from initial trial runs with my new steam juicer). I took care of it this afternoon while the wife and grandkids were out shopping for Halloween stuff. Netted four 750's and nine 375's.

tomorrow I'm getting up early to prepare a nice thanksgiving dinner for some of our friends...Turkey, stuffing & all the fixins + home made bread & wine :thg

Jeff that sounds pretty nice. Enjoy your day! I thought your Thanks Giving was on the 11th.

It is...but since there's a chance of extensive wine tasting and we all work on the 12th, driving dumptrucks, busses or operating heavy machinery, we decided to celebrate 1 day ahead :dg:d:b:tz:)

Ok, the temp as we were driving away from the vineyard was 84 degrees but we were sitting in the direct sun and that had to be close to 90. The heat was a killer but I so enjoyed picking the grapes with Sirs. He is awesome, a totaly likable guy. I just wish I could have met his wife as well, I believe she is just as awesome.

The grapes are not like grapes up north, you don't pick them as a cluster, they are separate, like picking cherries. The reds are about a quarter in diameter and the nobles are about a dime in diameter. Mike decided to pick a bucket of nobles, we didn't see much of him, :) Mic (my step-son), Sirs and I picked the reds. Sirs and I picked pretty close together most of the day, this gave us the opportunity to talk and this made the day so much more enjoyable. The heat was a killer by the time we were done, I believe this was around 2:30 the heat really started to get to me, I went to the truck into air conditioning while they finished the last half of the last bucket. We picked roughly about 220 lbs of grapes and as we were leaving Sirs was headed back in to pick more for himself! We were there for about 3 hours and he picked more than what we were picking but kept done of those for himself! Amazing guy.

Sirs gave me a little of a wine that he made and remember Sirs makes it known that he does not use any chemicals. This wine is very clear, acid is vey balanced. He likes his high in alcohol, which it is but flavor is very plentiful. I do not like wines that are high in alcohol, I think the flavor is hidden but he proved me wrong. Still can't drink more than a half of a glass of his but it is very enjoyable.

Well we put the buckets of grapes in the jeep (we drove up to the vineyard in Mic's truck), Wade we put the top down on the jeep halfway here on Friday and the top is staying down all the way home. It is going to be a great ride home, probably long ride home since we have all that weight but it is going to be fun! :db

And yes I want Sirs to come up to PA in the dead of winter so I can hear himc cry about the cold like I cried about the heat! :tz

Wow, 220 lbs is awesome. Sirs, do you dilute these down for acid reasons or cold stabilize them ore even use Cacium or potassium to help this?

Well, I'm not sure if you would dilute them down for acid reasons but I'll let you know about that because I will be taking an acid test but I do know that the muscadines are so strong in flavor (like how strong an elderberry is) that you dilute it down with water. LOL, Wade from what I understand you don't treat these grapes like you do other wine grapes. I'll will be keeping a log of what I do and how this wine developes, so I will let you know.

While we were picking you just could not help but pop one in your mouth here and there, OMG they are so good.

Latest posts

Back