what r u making in 2014

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dragons blood original recipe 12 gallons
raspberry 6 gallons
chokecherry 6 gallons
rjs ep super tuscan 12 gallons
rjs ep australian shiraz 6 gallons
wine expert le south african cab shiraz 6 gallons
wine expert le oregon pinot nior 6 gallons
kenridge rq north coast grand red version 2 6 gallons

James,
I am impressed with your list. Even more so when you say it's all from fresh fruit. Do you grow it or buy it? Either way I am still impressed.

i use wild blackberries, which i have abut 50 acres of , and have several large mulberry trees, as well as figs...
i pick my own strawberries and peaches, the rest i get at a farmers market. non gassed fruit.

I have been very busy ending the year with 9 kits in 2 1/2 months.

Sitting on deck to be started soon

WE Spanish Tempranillo with Grape Skins (Slelections Intl,

WE Washington Riesling Chenin Blanc LE

RJS Cabernet Sauvignon - Chilean Style - RQ

RJS Australian Shiraz Viognier- RQ

RJS Argentina Torrontes, RQ

Also have 3 Festa Brew beer kits waiting for warmer weather. Will be trying an apricot wheat beer for the first time

I always tell myself (or is that my wife's voice i hear) that i have too many kits sitting but just when i get the numbers down, the others seem to multiply again. The battle never ends.

cheers

I am not planning to venture off kits yet, and I am aiming to start 1 kit per month this year. I have these kits on deck (already purchased):

CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah
CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo
WE LE Oregon Pinot Noir (on pre-order)

Beyond these, I am not sure. Here are some of my inclinations:
-Start repeating some kits I have already done, like CC Amarone, CC Red Mtn. Cab, etc.
-I have mostly done CC kits so far. Perhaps I will try some high-end offerings from WE and/or RJS.
-I'd like to try a JoesWine-style tweak-fest with a low-end Sangiovese.
-Despite what I said above about kits, perhaps it is time to try a Dragon's Blood or Skeeter Pee batch.

After two years of making wine I am starting to get a better idea what I like. From the fruit branch:

Hard Rockin' Cider (18%)
Peach
Blackberry (want to try Walker's this year)
Persimmon (hey, they are free and make a very nice wine)
Dried Apricot (very delicious)

Grapes/Kits:
Chambourcin
Norton
MM Sonoma Edition Washington Cabernet
WE LE South African Cab Shiraz
RJS RQ Nero D'Avola
RJS WS Rosso Grande Eccelente
CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab Merlot
CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab
RJS WS Super Tuscan

Need to identify several other kits for 2014, so suggestions are welcome. Would like to do an Australian kit and maybe even try a white. I currently have in bulk aging:

CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo
CC Showcase Amarone
WE Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon
WE EClipse Stag's Leap Merlot
CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah
RJS Grand Cru International Okanagan Pinot Noir

I want to save some money during the next 10 months so that I can have a much better payoff in a year and a half. So, I am thinking about subscribing to Amazon for the cheaper kits such as Vino Italiano monthly for some wine.

I can get a pretty good wine at 3.25 a bottle at Aldi's. It is as good as those value wines such as woodbridge or some australian wines. I can make a bottle of wine for about $1.75. Over the month, that would be a savings of about $25 to $35 maybe.

Olusteeus,
Time to tread on some toes.(sorry in advance)
Your comment about "pretty good wine at 3.25 from Aldi" scares me. It is some time since I sampled it but to my perception it was in the "drinkable" category, not the "pretty good".
If you really want to save money, have a look in the wine from grapes section. My first batch, I was comparing to 40 - 80 dollar bottles. No Joke.
The key is to find the best grapes you can. There would have to be some really good wineries in Florida, see if you can get some of their grapes (legally - ask them).
You may have an experience that will change your perceptions.
To all of those devout kit wine makers again I apologise. For me the process is important. I really get enjoyment from the winemaking.

Olusteeus,
Time to tread on some toes.(sorry in advance)
Your comment about "pretty good wine at 3.25 from Aldi" scares me. It is some time since I sampled it but to my perception it was in the "drinkable" category, not the "pretty good".
If you really want to save money, have a look in the wine from grapes section. My first batch, I was comparing to 40 - 80 dollar bottles. No Joke.
The key is to find the best grapes you can. There would have to be some really good wineries in Florida, see if you can get some of their grapes (legally - ask them).
You may have an experience that will change your perceptions.
To all of those devout kit wine makers again I apologise. For me the process is important. I really get enjoyment from the winemaking.

Well just for reference I had a guy offer me 20 bucks a bottle for welches concentrate wine. And I had to turn him down:(

sour grapes, dont be sour apple, make some dragon blood, and I swear I will send you 50 lvs of fresh blackberries, if you promise to make a port out of them...

Well just for reference I had a guy offer me 20 bucks a bottle for welches concentrate wine. And I had to turn him down:(

I have the most likely wrong impresssion that I would not like welches concentrate wine. I like cabernet and merlot. Is it close?

James, if we can't get down south this year, I am definitely gonna paypal you some money for some of those blackberries. We have some that grow wild at my grandparent's old house, but it is never near enough for us.

You need to make it once. Even if it's just a 1 gallon batch. I mix mine per instructions (I make 6 gallons at a time), then add 2 concentrates (undiluted), sweeten to 1.100 (most people like 1.090) either way, use lavin 71b-1122 yeast and let it ride.

After complete I add 2 more cans of concentrate and then back swweten to 1.015 to 1.020 (depends if the wife is standing there tasting), she likes it a little sweeter.

Its ok out of the carboy, better in 3 months, great in 6, never made it to a year and I make about 18 gallons of it a year.

You need to make it once. Even if it's just a 1 gallon batch. I mix mine per instructions (I make 6 gallons at a time), then add 2 concentrates (undiluted), sweeten to 1.100 (most people like 1.090) either way, use lavin 71b-1122 yeast and let it ride.

After complete I add 2 more cans of concentrate and then back swweten to 1.015 to 1.020 (depends if the wife is standing there tasting), she likes it a little sweeter.

Its ok out of the carboy, better in 3 months, great in 6, never made it to a year and I make about 18 gallons of it a year.

dralarms, can i get that recipe or can you point out the one on here that you use. I'm a noob that's still learning my way around. Thanks in advance. - Dave

dralarms, can i get that recipe or can you point out the one on here that you use. I'm a noob that's still learning my way around. Thanks in advance. - Dave

17 cans Welches concord grape concentrate
45 cans of water
Add sugar to get your sg to desired point. (I use 1.100)
Add yeast.

In 14 days your sg should be right at 1.000

I add 2 to 3 cans of concentrate after stabilization (potassium sorbate, and k-meta) then back sweeten to 1.015 to 1.020 (depending on taste). Bottle and enjoy.

I will tell you you need a big carboy cause it foams a bunch for the 1st 3 days, ( I cover my air lock with a towel) and clean it once a day.

17 cans Welches concord grape concentrate
45 cans of water
Add sugar to get your sg to desired point. (I use 1.100)
Add yeast.

In 14 days your sg should be right at 1.000

I add 2 to 3 cans of concentrate after stabilization (potassium sorbate, and k-meta) then back sweeten to 1.015 to 1.020 (depending on taste). Bottle and enjoy.

I will tell you you need a big carboy cause it foams a bunch for the 1st 3 days, ( I cover my air lock with a towel) and clean it once a day.
Thank you. I look forward to trying that

Latest posts

Back