What kind of sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana355

Reaction score
Just got back from the wine store and the man said not to use regular sugar. What kind do you use

He said you could taste it. We bought some to try it is called fermentation sugar

I just use sucrose. I suppose you could use fructose if you could find it but I would not pay any more for it than the going rate for sucrose, which in my area is about $.45-$.50 per pound. Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for "fermentation" sugar?

Use regular sugar, apparently he has no idea on how to make wine

It was 4.99 a pound he said he sell a lot of it but I think we use what we bought but not get any more. If y'all say to just use regular

My suspicion is that he told you that to increase his revenue not to help you make good wine.

He said you could taste it. We bought some to try it is called fermentation sugar

Please do not allow this guy to influence your wine making skills in the future. Using corn syrup to back sweeten, you can taste.

I do not make beer or know anything about it but I believe they use a different kind of sugar.

Corn sugar is used in beer to provide the yeast with food to produce the CO2--but then many of us don't touch corn sugar in beer making, prefering to use wheat.

I can't believe these guys running these wine supply shops don't seem to know anything about winemaking!!! Use regular sugar--and shop the lower prices thru the year, stocking up when you can.

I recently made an RJS Watermelon Wave and added 5 lbs. of plain white table sugar and it is fantastic! These things are generally too sweet for me, but the increase in ABV made it a little less sweet:r

One more thing:slp I use part of the water I will add to a kit to make a simple syrup.

Corn sugar in a beer making a myth that refuses to die. The "old way" of thinking was table sugar would leave a apple type taste in your beer. But now John Palmer ( beer making guru )
says it is just a myth but everyone still uses dextrose.

Latest posts

Back