What is the best way to lower ABV without losing body?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
What is the best way to lower ABV without losing body?

I know I can add water in the beginning or at the end, but then I'd be losing body.

TIA

If its not a kit, save back some juice - sulfite it, pretty heavy; put your whole post-fermentation dosage of k-meta into this juice.

It takes some math. You want to save enough juice, that it doesnt put your ABV under 10%, and you want to use ALL the juice you save.

When it's fermented from what its at, to where its going <1.000
Stabilize with a dash of k-meta + whole dose of sorbate; wait a week
Then add your heavy-sulfited juice.

This will lower your ABV, increase the flavor, save the body, and still be true to its own profile.

If its not a kit, save back some juice - sulfite it, pretty heavy; put your whole post-fermentation dosage of k-meta into this juice.

It takes some math. You want to save enough juice, that it doesnt put your ABV under 10%, and you want to use ALL the juice you save.

When it's fermented from what its at, to where its going <1.000
Stabilize with a dash of k-meta + whole dose of sorbate; wait a week
Then add your heavy-sulfited juice.

This will lower your ABV, increase the flavor, save the body, and still be true to its own profile.

Great idea! But I'm going to make it sparkling by adding sugar later, so can't add sorbate.

Great idea! But I'm going to make it sparkling by adding sugar later, so can't add sorbate.

Sparkling wines tend to "shine" due to the relationship between the acidity, sweetness and carbonation.. Body doesnt have a whole lot to do with it.. It's a factor, of course, but not like in still wines

Kinda gotta pick something to sacrifice.. If its sparkling wine, it's going to be the Body at the altar.

Sparkling wines tend to "shine" due to the relationship between the acidity, sweetness and carbonation.. Body doesnt have a whole lot to do with it.. It's a factor, of course, but not like in still wines

Kinda gotta pick something to sacrifice.. If its sparkling wine, it's going to be the Body at the altar.

THX! :spm

:spm:spm:spm

Back