What did you do over the long weekend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems like a good idea to share what we all did over the 3 day weekend.

for me,

Friday - work on preparing for crush. Organized and cleaned the winery.

Saturday - it was apple pressing up at my brothers (another thread for details) followed by a great lobster dinner.

Sunday - Worked on preparing for crush I the morning (cleaning the yard) and cooked 2 big lasagna, 2 trays of meatballs, and 1 large tray of sausage. They are in the freezer right now and will be served at crush.

Monday - brother came over to help fix my press. got it working! wheew! pulled primaries out of the shed and scrubbed them. Same for tables and chairs. Cooked a Hungarian beef stew and a GIANT batch of spatzle. most went into a tray and is in the freezer for crush. Sat down with my 2013 Chilean cab, and tried (unsuccessfully) to fight off sleep.

Saturday we pressed our Mourvedre. About 5 hours of set-up, pressing and clean-up. Monday, racking off the gross lees and ino barrels and flex tank and carboys. Also racked the Mourvedre Rose. Added MLF bacteria to all but the Rose (actually took a gallon of the Rose to experiment with and added MLF). Transported one barrel and one tank back to another house. Another 5+ hours. Busy wine weekend!

Busy weekend. Got nothing done, and had a great time doing it. Friday night, we took it easy - ordered pizza and sipped on some Tempranillo. Saturday afternoon/evening, we got together over at a friend's house who just had a new pool put in. Mom's and dads had a great time swilling beer poolside while the kids wore themselves out in the water. Our youngest was so exhausted when we got home that night, he could literally barely speak. Sunday, we had some neighbors over and gave them their first taste of my wines (and my grilling/smoking). All went over very well and we enjoyed my 2013 Chilean Malbec, some 2013 CA Grand Red and some 2013 Black Forest Port. Yesterday, off to a friends again for more grilling (and sipping). Then home to get the kiddos in bed early. I was less than 30 minutes behind them. :D

Saturday up early headed over to girlfriends parents place where we canned 116 jars of tomatoes, I put a brisket on the Weber for a low and slow smoke event! Outstanding if I do say so myself :sm
A friend of mine who's father-in-law had passed away a few years ago a press and crusher that he graciously gave me.
On Sunday cut the lawn cleared the garden, scrubbed the press and crusher.
Had friends over for dinner, Monday day of rest!

Thanks,

Steve

Picked 15 gallon of pomegranate and 4 gallons of muscadine.

We went south to visit with the oldest. LOL, spent a lot of time at the Flying Saucer!!!!! Hubby is now up to 103 beers!

went to the woods 4 days of drinking naturally clean spring water, bathing in the river, and sippin wine / lemon cello under the stars. hate that tomorrow its back to work and civilization.

What John really did..............

Seems like a good idea to share what we all did over the 3 day weekend.

for me,

Friday - work on preparing for crush. Organized and cleaned the winery.

Saturday - it was apple pressing up at my brothers (another thread for details) followed by a great lobster dinner washed down with a great Concord wine we made last week..

Sunday - Worked on preparing for crush I the morning (cleaning the yard) and cooked 2 big lasagna while drinking a couple bottles of a great Concord wine we made last week. followed by 2 trays of meatballs and a great Concord wine we made last week, and 1 large tray of sausage warshe3d dawn by a foo bootle of Conscord whine me made ........I don't member.... They are in the freezer right now and will be served at crush along wish shum of dat sconcord wein.

Monday - brother came over to help fix my press and kick my butt outta bed with a weeked hanggover. He had ta got it working cause I wern't worth a dam all day! wheew! pulled primaries out of the shed and scrubbed them. Same for tables and chairs. Cooked a Hungarian beef stew and drank a GIANT batch of Concord. most went into a tray and is in the freezer for crush and so are a few bottles. Sat down with my 2015 Concord, and tried (unsuccessfully) to fight off sleep.

And this is what John really did all weekend!

, I put a brisket on the Weber for a low and slow smoke event! Outstanding if I do say so myself :sm

Thanks,

Steve

I tried brisket for the first time. I never even tasted it before. The night before I smothered the entire thing with yellow mustard, then Montreal steak seasoning and then brown sugar. The next morning I pulled it out of the refer to bring it up to room temp. I put it in the electric smoker at 9am at 220° with Applewood chips and two charcoal briquets for flavor. When it got to 165° I wrapped it in foil. By 5pm it still only got to 183°. At that time I shut off the smoker and left the meat in it until 6:30 pm. OMG, it was awesome.

001.jpg

And this is what John really did all weekend!

LOL.. That was such a good zinger that I don't even have a comeback!

(I was going to say something like "C O N C O R D - is that how you spell cabernet in NY state?" but that would be just too lame!!!!)

Latest posts

Back