What did you do this weekend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Constantly cleaning the house. In the middle of a full kitchen remodel. the wife has been wanting to do it for a few years. was pulling a rug off the cellar stairs and pulled my back. Ouch! Every weekend cleaning dust. Also adding another bathroom on the first floor. Problem is no time or room to make wine. All wine endeavor's are on hold till construction is over. Bakervinyard

Another busy one..

On Saturday, I worked the local Lion's club Octoberfest. This is a rather big event and hosts over 9 thousand people over 2 days. I am not currently a Lion, but I think I may join. They are a great bunch of folks and work hard for a number of worthy charities.

At any rate, I ended up helping out and got home exhausted.

On Sunday, I cooked again for the crush (spaetzle and beef/mushroom stew are in the freezer). I then cleaned and set up my sundeck for crush (this is where we take out meals). I also helped the wife clean the house and get ready for the storm of guests.

I have a checklist every year for crush. This list has been refined over the years and goes a long way in keeping me on track. I continued to check off items off this list and am happy to say that I am actually ahead on to-do items!.

I then collapsed and watched my beloved NY Giants lose to a bunch of bums (redskins).

All things considered, this was a very good weekend. We started with me taking my 15 year old out to dinner (sushi) on Friday night and debating what all these clown sightings were about. My guess is promotional stunt for a movie.

Saturday was all about grapes. Craig (ceeaton) and I took the short drive to Harford Vinyards to pick up 3 lugs of crushed/destemmed Petite Sirah grapes. I grabbed a chardonnay bucket just for good measure. Then took them home, treated and punched the PS grapes; started the ferment on the chard (this morning, both are actively fermenting away). I racked the Bravado Super Tuscan later that day; and, after dropping the aforementioned 15 year old off at a friend's, my wife and I cracked open a sampler of the Forza (appropriately named Comfortably Numb).

Sunday we did our yardwork - mowing, weeding, cutting down the tall grasses around the yard (any day I can break out the chainsaw is a good day); I helped my 25 year old move a sofa to her apartment and we had a nice dinner of London Broil and fresh asparagus, with BoatBoyJim's 3 year old WE Eclipse Barolo. Wow, that's a good wine, btw.

Friday night, we decided to skip our local high school's homecoming game - cooked burgers and watched 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' instead. Saturday was up and out early and off to Harford Vineyard again with Dad. As mentioned above, met up w/ @jgmann67 and @ceeaton and swapped some wine. Got home, pressed the Zin and set the Cab and Petite Sirah up in the fermenters with some Lallzyme. Then off to my son's baseball game. Saturday night we went out to dinner with a couple friends, then went to see 'Sully'. (good movie, by the way) Yesterday, did an 8.5 mile run first thing - weather was glorious, my knee not so much. Then went to church. After lunch, back down to the winery where I took final measurements on the Cab and PS, pitched the yeast and racked the Zin that was pressed the day before. Then I settled in to watch the Giants blow it. Did a bunch of research into what might be causing my knee pain and found it is most likely a minor and easily remedied issue. That's a relief - Army Ten Miler in less than two weeks.

I am amazed at just how much life I can squeeze out of a single weekend!

On Saturday, I went over to the brothers, did a little wood working, then split a respectable pile of firewood. After splitting wood, I recharged my aching body by taking the brother out for some great Chinese food.

On Sunday, after sleeping like a log, I went to the grocery store for some steaks (on sale this week for $5.99 a pound), then came back home to do laundry and watch the "parade of the awful" (NY jets vs Cleveland). I then spent the rest of my Sunday cooking and making phone calls....

Got a call from the older brother. Seems that my niece has a new son!

I also got a call from one of my best friends. Turns out he and his wife are planning to go to Hungary in the spring and wanted to know if the wife and I would like to go too! WOW, a chance to share the family winery with one of my best friends?? How cool is that?

I then talked to my mom. She is putting my dad in a nursing home on Tuesday and I have been calling her every day for the last couple of weeks to lend support. I don't need to say how hard this is on her and I just keep telling her that this is the best thing for Dad.

I often think that it is best that weekends are only 2 day long! Here is a pic of the firewood.

IMG_1118.jpg

This weekend, was a relaxing one.

On Friday night, I began "Binge Watching" the Soppranos. We never have subscribed to HBO and I discovered that the entire series was free on Amazon. The wife was not too thrilled by the nudity and language, but was able to look past it and enjoy the great story lines. I see why this show was so popular! We laughed when a guy got whacked at a place not 4 miles from my home... Shared a bottle of our 2014 petit sarah and developed an uncontrollable urge for pasta in red sauce!!!

I also got a call from my niece. Turns out she is going to have a baby!!

On Saturday, around noon, I grabbed the wife and went down to the brother's house with groceries in tow. Spent time with my brother and niece and cooked an amazing pot of meatballs and sausage. We ate and played some board games and generally had a fantastic time. The urge to eat pasta was satisfied!

On Sunday, I slept in (or so I thought) and headed out to run some errands. Ended up waiting an hour for the store to open because I forgot the time change. Came home, did some laundry, did a little gardening, watched my beloved Giants beat the evil Philadelphia Eagles, and cooked a great Sunday dinner.

Definitely and "recharge" weekend.

Last edited:
Laid low on Friday night, enjoying a home cooked meal and the fact that I knew there were no sports this weekend.

Saturday, was some winery chores - mostly racking, followed by some errands and yard work. The perrenials needed to be cleaned up/cut back. Also had a few small trees/large bushes that needed pruning and thinning. Saturday night, we went to a 70's/80's costume party complete with live band. Had a great time.

Sunday, we went to church, then home for lunch and back out to the yard for a few hours where I finished Saturday's work, then mowed the lawn. After I got cleaned up, I donned the Manning jersey, hit the DVR and watched the Giants game. Didn't cook a thing. The chicken I took out of the freezer was thawing incredibly slowly. That, combined with the fact that I had no motivation resulted in us ordering take out.

Wine show in Johnstown last Saturday and we sold our share of wine. Sunday, bottled more with ffemt. Getting ready for this weekends wine show in Pittsburgh.....

Let's see..

On Friday night, I got home and immediately popped a cork (My 2012 Chilean Cab). I then had a sandwich for dinner and continued binge watching the Sopranos.

Saturday morning, I began the grocery shopping for Thanksgiving and got a fair amount of the supplies I will need. Just 1 or 2 more trips to the store and I will finally have everything that I need.

Then it was back to the house to work on SWMBO's honey-do list.

Around 1pm, the brother dropped by with a truck load of the wood that I split at his place last weekend. We got the whole load stacked, grabbed some groceries, and headed back to his place to cook. Cooking at the brother's place has become a bit of a regular thing lately.

We ended up cooking Hungarian comfort food, goulash, spaetzles, cucumber salad, and an apple "crumble" for dessert. We ate like there is no tomorrow! Back home by 9pm for a glass of wine and sleep!

On Sunday, I continued with the chore-list then spent the day cooking and watching the NY Jets lose yet again.

A most enjoyable day yesterday doing Fall yard work and watching football. Sorry to all the PAers on here but.......

14482267_1168535303240371_2624303057411768320_n.jpg

Topped that off by watching my other favorite team (Seattle) win big by stopping Brady on the one yard line over and over again! :db

I have to admit, that Cowboys / Steelers game was one of the best games I have seen this season. The lead changed 7 times and the score was tight. Spectacular 2 - minute plays!

The game was so good that I almost did not mind seeing Dallas win... Almost... :)

Latest posts

Back