What are you making and what have you made ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't edit my second one anymore, so currently:

On deck:
Cherry melomel, 3 gallons
Blackberry wine, 5-6.5 gallons
Sherry (kit)

Primary:
Plum wine (non-country style), 7 gallons
Bochet (sack-ish), 3 gallons

Secondary:
Nothing currently

Bulk aging:
Chai metheglin, 1 gallon
Single malt mead, 1 gallon
Skittle, 3 gallon
Malbec (kit, 6 gallons)
Plum (fruit, 5 gallons)

Bottled:
Plum/Syrah port (fruit/syrup/brandy, 3 gallon final yield)
Caramel Apple mead (4 gallon final yield)

I have 8 gallons of Chambourcin going in the secondary. I have 5 gallons of Norton going in a primary. I have 20 gallons of Norton, Cherry, Chocolate port just started in the primary. I just bottled peach, and Traminette blended with Raspberry.

Apart from all the kit wines I've done, I've been enjoying doing lots of different country wines. Eventually I got some software to track what I was doing, which helped. Recently. I wrote up a quick replacement that was more portable and met my needs a little more closely. This is an updated extract from the batch report:

Active Batches
Batch Name - Varietal - Size
Goat's Wild Blueberry II - Blueberry - 5 Gal x 5 batches
Goat's Cranberry II - Cranberry - 5 Gal x 2 batches
Mystery Grape - Unknown Grape - 3 Gal
Gozdni Sadeži - Forest Fruit - 1 Gal
BluTwo - Blueberry - 3 Gal
Youngberry - Youngberry - 1 Gal
La Grenade II - Pomegranate - 1 Gal
Zinger!² - Mixed Herbal Tea - 6 Gal

Completed Batches
Batch Name - Varietal - Size
Magic Peach - Peach Wine - 6 Gal
Blueberry: on skins - Blueberry Wine - 3 Gal
Blueberry: juiced - Blueberry Wine - 3 Gal
Cranberry Disaster - Cranberry Wine - 1 Gal
Goat's Wild Blueberry - Blueberry Wine - 6 Gal x 5 batches
Goat's Cranberry - Cranberry Wine - 6 Gal x 2 batches
Apfelwein I - Apple Wine - 1 Gal
Currancy - Blackcurrant Wine - 1 Gal
Melted and Red Ia - Strawberry Wine - 1 Gal
Melted and Red Ib - Strawberry Wine - 3 Gal
Sovereign - Sovereign Coronation - 3 Gal
May Day - Dandelion - 1 Gal
La Grenade - Pomegranate Wine - 1 Gal
Melted and Red II - Strawberry Wine - 3 Gal
Dragon Blood I - Triple Berry Skeeter Pee - 6 Gal
Mangonel I - Mango Wine - 5 Gal
Mangonel II - Mango Wine - 3 Gal
Meçai I - Açai Wine - 1 Gal
Meçai II - Açai Wine - 1 Gal
Meçai III - Açai Wine - 1 Gal
Figment I - Fresh Fig Wine - 1 Gal
Grögg I - Lingonberry - 1 Gal
Ananas Ananas - Pineapple Wine - 1 Gal
Dried Elderberry I - Elderberry Wine - 3 Gal
Figment² - Fresh+Dried Fig Wine - 1 Gal
Fruit de l'Oponce - Pickly Pear Wine - 3 Gal
Cider-Pure Juice Test - Apple Cider - 1 Gal
Cider-Cut Juice Test - Apple Cider - 1 Gal
PC Apple Cider - 3 Gal
MacNab Ruby Cab - Ruby Cabernet - 5 Gal
Bizzaro Burgundy - Pinot Noir - 5 Gal
Second Goat - Cranberry - 2 Gal
Hachiya Persimmon - Persimmon - 3 Gal
Vanilla Persimmon - Persimmon - 3 Gal
Roselle - Hibiscus Flower - 2 Gal
Z2 - Mixed Herbal Tea - 6 Gal
Dragon Blood II - Triple Berry Skeeter Pee - 6 Gal
Howling Wolfberry - Goji Berry - 3 Gal
Dragon's Breath - Dragonfruit - 2 Gal
Son of Meçai - Açai - 3 Gal
Zinger! - Wild Berry Zinger (Herbal Tea) - 3 Gal
kuru kayısı - Dried Apricot - 3 Gal
Mangue - Mango - 6 Gal
Chilean Carménère - Carménère - 6 Gal
Chilean Cabernet - Cabernet Sauvignon - 6 Gal

I'll have to take some time to enter in the records for the wines I tracked with my other tool, and consult my notebook about any previous experiments...

Last edited:
In buckets right now

REDS:
Old Vine Zin
Cab Sauv
Ruby Cab
Chateaux Neuf De Pape
Grenache
Syrah
Pinot Noir

WHITE:
Chardonnay
Trebbiano
Viognier
Muscato

And I am scrambling for carboys as we speak.

10 months and counting

Ok, I've only been making wine for about 10 months, so my list won't be nearly as impressive as some of yours.

First, the kits: (all are 6 Gallon Kits)

Black Berry Blast
Green Apple Delight
Peach Raspberry Sangria
Red Raspberry Pinot Nero
Strawberry White Merlot
Moscato
Cranberry Craze
Peach Chardonnay
Cabernet Sauvignon
Sangiovese/Merlot Blend
WE Blueberry Pinot Noir (in Carboy)
WE Selection Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre (in primary)

Next are the "scratch" batches.

Apple 3 Gal
Dragons Blood -3 Gal
Fruit Explosion -5 Gal
Carrot/Onion/Garlic -1 Gal
Skittles -3 Gal
Pineapple -1 Gal
Acerglyn -1 Gal (in carboy)
Blueberry -3 Gal (in Carboy)
Strawberry-Kiwi -1 Gallon, pitching yeast today

Have an RJS GCI Primitivo Kit in the wings, and will be putting together a 1 Gal of Cyser in the next few days.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity--those of you who do massive amounts all the time. What do you do with the wine? Do you give a lot of it away, throw parties, store it all and drink it over long periods of time?

Just out of curiosity--those of you who do massive amounts all the time. What do you do with the wine? Do you give a lot of it away, throw parties, store it all and drink it over long periods of time?

Yeah, that is pretty much what I do except that I drink it over short periods of time. :)

So far this year I have Plum, Peach, Rougeon, Niagara, Concord, Norton and St. Vincent wines either in the primary or secondary. In a few weeks, I will have Stark Star also.

10646900_652804621482174_1706036690236878443_n.jpg

10702102_663290323766937_930147186363538083_n.jpg

hi friends, this is my first wine frontenac gris 2012.picked and crushed same day, sat for 12 hours then pressed. followed the book on this one with yeast and sulfites though less sulfites than prescribed. never filtered all filtering occurred naturally. im very happy with my first wine. heres a pic. excuse the bottle please, sorry i hadnt the time to delabel the bottles. next -worried about the aging potential- i bottled some of last years reds fermented off the skin and no added sulfites or yeasts but i had no need to worry as its really a beautiful wine if i may say so myself. picture coming soon.

winew.jpg

Last edited:
hi friends, this is my first wine frontenac gris 2012.picked and crushed same day, sat for 12 hours then pressed. followed the book on this one with yeast and sulfites though less sulfites than prescribed. never filtered all filtering occurred naturally. im very happy with my first wine. heres a pic. excuse the bottle please, sorry i hadnt the time to delabel the bottles. next -worried about the aging potential- i bottled some of last years reds fermented off the skin and no added sulfites or yeasts but i had no need to worry as its really a beautiful wine if i may say so myself. picture coming soon.

Fine looking wine, there!

If you're going to drink 'em up fast, under-sulfiting may be okay. However -- we add sulfites for two reasons: delaying spoilage and delaying oxidation. If you don't have sufficient free-SO2 you will find your wine turning to a kind of sherrry pretty quickly (that's the oxidation) and/or you'll have it spoil -- turn to vinegar, etc. -- in short order.

I would recommend you add sufficient metabisulfate -- do keep in mind that the levels we would add would be less than 1/5th of the amount in commercial wines, which are sulfited to higher levels because we expect them to age gracefully for up to a decade (or more!) while stored in storefronts, shipped in trucks with who knows what kind of temperature fluctuations, then stored in basements and kitchens with varying climates....

Fine looking wine, there!

If you're going to drink 'em up fast, under-sulfiting may be okay. However -- we add sulfites for two reasons: delaying spoilage and delaying oxidation. If you don't have sufficient free-SO2 you will find your wine turning to a kind of sherrry pretty quickly (that's the oxidation) and/or you'll have it spoil -- turn to vinegar, etc. -- in short order.

I would recommend you add sufficient metabisulfate -- do keep in mind that the levels we would add would be less than 1/5th of the amount in commercial wines, which are sulfited to higher levels because we expect them to age gracefully for up to a decade (or more!) while stored in storefronts, shipped in trucks with who knows what kind of temperature fluctuations, then stored in basements and kitchens with varying climates....

thanku very much! as for sulfites u may be right my first red wine a cab franc and absolutely delicious was sulfited but im experimenting trying to see what kind of wine i can get without sulfites or added yeast; im learning from the bottom up, now i will watch to see how these wines hold up but so far they look and taste great.

Well, it is a modest start, but ya gotta start somewhere!

Bottled:
CC Sterling Merlot
WE Mezza Luna Red
CC Showcase Amarone
CC Showcase Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel
CC Showcase Red Mountain Cabernet
Dragon Blood
WE Selection International Argentine Malbec
CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah
CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo
CC Showcase Yakima Valley Cabernet Shiraz
WE LE Oregon Pinot Noir
CC Showcase Walla Walla Cabernet Merlot
WE LE Washington Cab/Merlot
WE Selection Viognier
CC Showcase Argentinian Malbec

Bulk aging:
Amarone di Beppe tweakfest -- WE SI Amarone, and tweaked the hell out of it a la Joeswine!
CC Showcase Amarone

Clearing:
WE Selection International Australian Petit Verdot

Secondary:
WE Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot

Primary:
Dry and Lonely

On Deck:
"This space available" -- Thinking about an Eclipse Lodi Zinfandel?

Last edited:
Pinot noir kit in the secondary, some home made grape in secondary. Cherry wine ready to bottle. Need to figure out what kit to do next.

Back