Welch's White grape/blueberry/kiwi

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you check the SG a few days in a row to make sure it is stable. Just because its below 1.000 does not mean its done.

Yeah, That's my least favorite part. I seceretly hope if I wait long enough (15+ days and no activity in airlock) I can check once and be done with SG until time to sweeten (and even then I tend to do it by taste). Ido not likechecking twice (or more). I do not like checking SG at all actually, but then I am the one who wants a remote monitoring device in the must/wine that will read my temp/ph/sg hourly and report to my computer. Then there would be no checking twice I'd just watch the charts until I knew the SG was stable hehe.

That would be very cool. When you design one sell it to me for cheap please.

I've sketched the concept. The pH and the temp are cheap and easy. It's the SG monitor that is hard to come by. The wireless technology would be based on Zigbee. The case would most likely be glass with a o-ring seal. Current diameter is about 1" and it's about 14" long. I've got AAA batteries in the plan but a friend of mine says we can get away with smaller ones. The tube would have a magnet in it so I could drag it over to the side of the carboy and hold in place with an external magnet. A near by computer would have a receiver connected to a USB port. The data monitor would wake every 60 mins to send data, and I think there is a wayI can request data right away (although with a 1 hour window I don't know if I need that option). I guess the three hurdles are the SG probe, the glass housing, and the software.

Sounds cool Hows about getting a spcial bung attachment so that you
wouldnt need the magnets like a rubber bung with two holes one for the
airlock and one for the probe or build an airlock into it.

20061202_192658_Wgrape_blubry_K.JPG

Pic before racking, sg .994. Racked added K-meta, sorbate, and topped up.

Looks good coaster.....How did it tatste? Was there very much SO2 in it?

I could tell there was a medley of tastes in there, grape for sure and hint of "other" my wife said (I assume it's the blueberry/kiwi). The ABV is 13% and did not taste hot at all, but I could tell this was sharper (due to the acid blend) than I've made in the past. The SO2 was below 40 (I have two types of test - above and below 40 - I used the above cuz I was worried but it indicated I should have used the below 40). I didn't re-test after the first test because it was "low enough" for me to add more. I'll test again in 2-3 weeks when I back sweeten and rack for some aging.

OGrav said:
Looks great!, love the color. Did you ever use your bentonite?

No, but I did end up using Super Kleer on it. I know, I know lack of patience but this was suppose to bea quick kit to beef up the cellar while I get more kits going. She's (the wife) has already drank most of what I have
smiley36.gif
. I'm happy she's enjying the wine and it's fun for me but I doubt we'll ever have aged homemade wine. AAAStinkie used this fining method in his Welch's wine and that is what this is based on.

Did the Super Kleer compact well. I haven't used any type of fining yet, trying to figure out which one might be my first foray. I have some bentonite already, but the information I have read is that it is really light and fluffy. You better find a good hiding spot in the cellar somewhere. You must be doing something right if it's all gone.

OGrav said:
Did the Super Kleer compact well.

Oh yes. And fast too. Since this was juice only I think there may have been less lees than normal but if you look at the pic carfully you can see them on the bottom there, a very thin layer. It was amazingly fast too, less than 2 days I would estimate and I saw it working within 12 hours.

I wouldn't use bentonite, if I were going to use Super Kleer.

OGrav said:
Did the Super Kleer compact well. I haven't used any type of fining yet, trying to figure out which one might be my first foray. I have some bentonite already, but the information I have read is that it is really light and fluffy. You better find a good hiding spot in the cellar somewhere. You must be doing something right if it's all gone.
Edited by: dizzy

I think I will have to pick some of that up. I think I will let my strawberry wine drop on it's own, but next time to speed things up a couple months, to fine.

Here it is bottled, no label yet. Think I am going to call it Hillcountry Blush.

20061219_092501_bottled.jpg

Latest posts

Back