Welch's White grape/blueberry/kiwi

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
5 gals Welch's White Grape/blueberry/kiwi
4 cans of Welch's white grape frozen concentrate
2 ripe frozen banannas
3 tsp yeast energizer
6 tsp nutrient
1/4 tsp liquid pectic
3# sugar
4 tbs acid blend
water to 6 gal
sg 1.090
ph 3.8
ta 7.5
free SO2 50 aftermixing up must - sat 12 hours before pitching yeast
lavin 1116 (x2, one in yeast starter and one pitched on top)Edited by: Coaster

My beautiful blueberry colored must is now a whitish yellow and the yeast are doing a number on the bananas. Yesterday it smelled oh so good, like a pie, yummm. Today its got the heavy fermentation smell and it’s so loud it sounds like it’s raining in the primary.Edited by: Coaster

20061114_180729_White_Grape_Blu.JPG

It looks like the color of peanut butter now. Racked on day 3 at 1.014. Acid may be a bit high as it seems sharp (not much experience in this area tho).Edited by: Coaster

Looks like the bananas have broken down good and changed the color.

I am always amazed as to how mucky something can be and turn out so clear after just a short bit of time. I would love to try to make this wine in the near future.

Coaster,

How dark was this when you started? Doesn't look like much blueberry in the mix, but the taste will tell.

Coaster, was that really 5 gallon of juice or was it a typo? I think you will have a very nice wine here when it finishes

It was 10, 1/2 gallon bottles. I was going to get 12 but deceided to get 10 and a gallon of spring water soI could add the sugar to the water.

20061123_111114_Blubry_kiwi_11-.JPG

Here it is 10 days into secondary fermentation. It has justa hint of purple in the color. I think that if you didn't know it was purple to start with you wouldn't pick up on the tint.

I am going out of town this week but will prolly do the stabilizaton and fining this weekend. Any opinions on if I should rack off the lees first or just stir them up. I didn't use any Benotite (sp) in the primary.

Starting to look real nice. I wouldn't rush the fining, looks like it's fining itself pretty quick. What is (sp) anyway? Is that a different version of bentonite? If that is what you use eventually, let us know how it goes. I have some strawberry wine as well and it still has a few strawberry seeds held in suspension, I think. I haven't whipped it and wonder if that is part of the problem. Been inlimbo now for over a month. I have already sweetened/sorbated it.

I would rack it and stabilize. then clarify later if your rushing it,
but give it a little more time to clear on its own. Are you sweetening
at all, if so you should wait a week or two at least before clarifying
to make sure it doesnt referment.

The (sp) indicates I was unsure of the spelling I used (I was in a hurry to pack and didn't look up the correct spelling of bentonite).

While I may be in a hurry to catch the plane I'm in no hurry with the wine. It's been in secondary fermentation for 16 days now. Just before I left I saw a few tiny bubbles still coming up the sides of the carboy. I'll check SG this weekend and iffinishedI may rack, degass,and stabilize. I will be backsweetening. I haven't deceided yet if I am using wine conditioner or juice.Edited by: Coaster

Latest posts

Back