welch's frozen grape concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaiah

Reaction score
Has anybody ever heard of the frozen concentrate having too much acid in it and add baking soda to neutralize the acid. If this being the case should I add it the add my acid blend. this is where im stumped! Should I or shouldn't I?

Has anybody ever heard of the frozen concentrate having too much acid in it and add baking soda to neutralize the acid. If this being the case should I add it the add my acid blend. this is where im stumped! Should I or shouldn't I?

I know there are people who do add baking soda to lower acid but I have never done that myself. If you do not have a titration kit, see about buying one and check your acid levels. I usually check when before adding acid blend and after fermentation is completed.

Ok I'll have to go get one. Can you add ingredients like baking soda after fermentation?

I didn't have that problem when I did my batch of Welches. Didn't see the need as it turned out very nicely. When I get a carboy free, I plan on making a large batch of the Welches white grape. Don't plan on putting any baking soda in that one either. :D

Anybody that ferments Welch's products should call their CS #, tell them you make wine from Welch's products and ask for a copy of "The Acid Letter."

This letter explains the range(s) and types of acids in their products.

Best of all - it's FREE for the asking!

FWIW, the highest acid level in any of their products is .7 according to the The Acid Letter I received.

Im not sure of using Baking soda to do this and would prefer agents made for this purpose myself like calcium carbonate pre fermentation or potassium bicarbonate post fermentation or even Acidex. These are designed specifally for this purpose. You could even not add anything and just subject your fermented wine to cold temps for a few weeks to drop out this excess acid without adding any agents.

And by cold temps you mean under the 70 degrees its at or is that fine? everybodys help is great and I'm glad that I found this site!

Glad you found this site too Isaiah,

By cold temps - temps that would be similar to what your refrigerator is or a little colder.

Glad you found this site too Isaiah,

By cold temps - temps that would be similar to what your refrigerator is or a little colder.

Fuuny thing today I was racking some treminette for cold stabilizing that I just stabilized a week ago. It was already dropping tartrates at 68 degrees. Can't wait to see what I pull out of it now.

Fuuny thing today I was racking some treminette for cold stabilizing that I just stabilized a week ago. It was already dropping tartrates at 68 degrees. Can't wait to see what I pull out of it now.

Wow, that is not bad, I think I need to s taste this traminette to make sure it comes out right :tz

Wow, that is not bad, I think I need to s taste this traminette to make sure it comes out right :tz

I see you waited till it was done fermenting before you said that :)
Hey Julie, I chose not to get the Edelweiss as they only had 5 gal pails and I did not want to pay the extra $15.00 for the container. I ended up getting more Vidal.

I see you waited till it was done fermenting before you said that :)
Hey Julie, I chose not to get the Edelweiss as they only had 5 gal pails and I did not want to pay the extra $15.00 for the container. I ended up getting more Vidal.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah dam you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well you still haven't been there yet. Come up some weekend and I'll take you guys. Going to Corning NY tomorrow.

Our next month of weekends are busy, what are you going to Corning, NY for?

Dude! Is that a price you can get on line??? Geeeeeesh I would love some of that action! What's the business name? Maybe they will ship me some for that price plus shipping cost.

Dude! Is that a price you can get on line??? Geeeeeesh I would love some of that action! What's the business name? Maybe they will ship me some for that price plus shipping cost.

LMAO..I was expecting a response back from Julie first! They do not really have carboys. But they do sell cut glass and have real nice wine glasses for a price!

Dang! Got me. Hook line and sinker. I was getting all excited and everything. :?

Latest posts

Back