Welch's concord with the super-sugar method

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well just started a welches at 1.106 @ 70 degrees.......going strong! Gonna run it as dry as possible and blend with the other.....both batches will have 1.5 tsp tannin added prior to blending.....then post blending one batch will get oak and the other will get the bottle....prob gonna bottle up some half gallons as I'm not sure I want 50 bottles of welches around the house...

Last edited:
Well just started a welches at 1.106 @ 70 degrees.......going strong! Gonna run it as dry as possible and blend with the other.....both batches will have 1.5 tsp tannin added prior to blending.....then post blending one batch will get oak and the other will get the bottle....prob gonna bottle up some half gallons as I'm not sure I want 50 bottles of welches around the house...

Just keep in mind this is more of a std. Welch's wine and not the super sugar method. Your SG was low for the super sugar method. You should be able to push this close to 1.000 depending on yeast used.

Rc212 with a helluva starter. I'm shooting for a s.g. of around 1.00 cause my original ss method fizzled at 1.04 and is too sweet for me. Hopefully this blend will be more in step with my taste.

So question for y'all. I started this process on 12/14, as per the instructions on page 4, with the exception of making this a 1 gallon batch. Before the yeast was pitched, SG was 1.150. A few days later it was 1.130, loosely covered with a towel, no lid. The following days here is how my fermentation has progressed:
12/18 1.120
12/21 1.100
12/22 1.082
12/23 1.080

Temperatures stayed between 71-73 degrees.
Why the sudden slow down? According to the directions, I'm not to rack until it reaches 1.040-1.030. At this rate it may never get there. Any suggestions as I really want to do this one "by the book" to get a better wine than my very first batch. I used 1/2 packet of RC-212 since I'm only doing 1 gallon. Any thoughts or suggestions, or am I just paranoid over nothing? Thank you everyone!

Have patience. The yeast should keep on munching til they die off from too much alcohol. I don't know the tolerance RC-212 has for alcohol, but it should ferment down a ways yet. As it nears the end of fermentation it will slow down. When the specific gravity quits going down, it is done. It might go down very slowly at the end as the yeast will be getting weaker from the alcohol. Give it some time and Merry Christmas. Arne.

As Arne stated, things will start to slow down as the amount of yeast die off, especially with you only using a half a packet.
Make sure you are stirring that twice daily.

Also, in the future, use the whole packet, regardless of size. I always use the whole packet when making 1, 2, 3, etc. gallon batches. Plenty of yeast that way.

Have patience. The yeast should keep on munching til they die off from too much alcohol. I don't know the tolerance RC-212 has for alcohol, but it should ferment down a ways yet. As it nears the end of fermentation it will slow down. When the specific gravity quits going down, it is done. It might go down very slowly at the end as the yeast will be getting weaker from the alcohol. Give it some time and Merry Christmas. Arne.

Thank you Arne. I figured that was the case, but my first batch seemed to have gone much quicker.

As Arne stated, things will start to slow down as the amount of yeast die off, especially with you only using a half a packet.
Make sure you are stirring that twice daily.

Also, in the future, use the whole packet, regardless of size. I always use the whole packet when making 1, 2, 3, etc. gallon batches. Plenty of yeast that way.

Thanks wineforfun, I am stirring twice daily and going forward I will start using the whole packet from now on.

Thank you both for the help.

And still waiting....lol. Think I need more primaries, so I can start on other batches. Yep, local brew shop was right, it didn't take long for me to want to do 5 gallon batches. Currently sitting at 1.062, but it's becoming more difficult to keep things warm, even with my "heated sock" method. I'd hoped I would be transferring before New Year's Day, but might not happen. Oh well.

Careful when you start buying more primaries. Pretty soon while you are not watching they start breeding and shortly you have a whole winery full. LOL, Arne.

That's not even the worse part yer! I live in a house built in the early 40's so the basement I do everything in is, well not the greatest when it comes to keeping things clean. So I've already started planning on building a wine room for everything! Yep, it's hit me hard!

Welch's concord has become my favorite. 2 1/2 cans per gallon. Last time I had some honey I used for sweetener and the rest sugar. It is clean, it tastes great and it will be drinkable in 6 months but it is best after a year. Think I will oak it this time.

Welches is one of my favorite quick recipies. I use Latvin 1116 and drop from 1.080-1.085 to about 0.99, this gives me around 24 proof. It comes out pretty dry but I'll mix up a batch of this dry Welche's wine, 2:1 to 7up and make a great summer party punch.

It goes great with smoked pork bbq.

What about using primarily the White Grape Juice concentrate with 1-2 cans substituted for the 100% juice Grape/Peach concentrate?

What about using primarily the White Grape Juice concentrate with 1-2 cans substituted for the 100% juice Grape/Peach concentrate?

As far as I can figure all of the frozen concentrates can be done like that. The white grape, white grape peach, white grape raspberry and the concord all make a nice easy wine.

Here is a big secret for your winemaking journey. Most if not all the recipes you find are just a guide. Most can be improved by tweaking, checking and changing the acid, ph, any ingredients that you like. You are making the wine so make it the way you think you will like it. Keep track of what you do, tho, so when you come up with that wonderful wine you can try and duplicate it. Good luck with your new hobby. Arne.

Here is a big secret for your winemaking journey. Most if not all the recipes you find are just a guide. Most can be improved by tweaking, checking and changing the acid, ph, any ingredients that you like. You are making the wine so make it the way you think you will like it. Keep track of what you do, tho, so when you come up with that wonderful wine you can try and duplicate it. Good luck with your new hobby. Arne.

Thanks!

I have been brewing beer for the past 3 years. My wife has been asking me for a while why I didn't attempt at some wine for her. As she drinks mostly sweet $8 Moscatos I figured start easy.

Learning a ton from here about how making Wine and brewing Beer are two completely separate animals, the only commonality is they both use Yeast, are sensitive to temperatures, and sanitization. All else goes out the window!

Thanks!

I have been brewing beer for the past 3 years. My wife has been asking me for a while why I didn't attempt at some wine for her. As she drinks mostly sweet $8 Moscatos I figured start easy.

Learning a ton from here about how making Wine and brewing Beer are two completely separate animals, the only commonality is they both use Yeast, are sensitive to temperatures, and sanitization. All else goes out the window!

Www.homewinery.com sells muscat juice and it taste like the Moscato wines.

Back