Welch's concord with the super-sugar method

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, been awhile since I've been here but I have a question. Started my second batch of the super sugar recipe, this time 5 gallons (first batch was just 1 gallon). My initial SG was 1.150, added 1 packet of EC-1118 yeast. Kept everything around 70-75* stirring 1-2 times a day. Kept checking the SG till it reached 1.040-1.050 however it stalled at 1.080. Tried to get it going again by adding 1 1/2 tsp of fermi-K and another packet of EC-1118. Still no change in SG so I figured it was just done (odd though). Transferred it to secondary and have left it be for a week. Of course no sign of additional fermentation so I decided to try to get a little gas out of it tonight. Hooked up my brake bleeder and pumped away, and ZERO bubbles came up. Not one. Pumped it up to nearly 25" on the gauge and it didn't even burp. What gives? This is super odd to me. It tastes fine, like grape juice with a small kick. But can someone explain what's going on with my batch? I'm confused and a little lost. Thank you!

I did taste it, no sharp "bubbly" taste. Even have shook it and only bubbles I get are the "air" bubbles. Really odd. Going to give it a bit more time then start enjoying it I guess. Only downside is the ABV isn't where I wanted it, but I guess I can deal with 9% instead of 12%.......less headaches that way!

I would let this sit in the carboy for a long time before bottling. Make sure all the sediment has fallen out. Think this one could be a prime candidate for a referment. Bummer when you check the wine supply and the corks start blowing out.. Only 9 %? Bet it will still set ya on your keester. Just a couple more glasses. LOL, Arne.

I started a 'freezer cleaner' batch of this several months ago, and finally got around to bottling today. Here is what went in:

IMG_20150929_172617972.jpg

It started at 1.150 and ended at 1.031.

It is clear and has a unique flavor.

IMG_20160328_155138586.jpg

According to Brewers Friend, this is 15.6% ABV and 504 calories per 12 oz! :HB

Last edited:
I started a 'freezer cleaner' batch of this several months ago, and finally got around to bottling today. Here is what went in:

View attachment 28097

Sholy hit! I have not purchased 1/10 that number of concentrate cans in my adult life!

Looking good!

View attachment 28097

It started at 1.150 and ended at 1.031.

It is clear and has a unique flavor.

View attachment 28098

According to Brewers Friend, this is 15.6% ABV and 504 calories per 12 oz! :HB

Do you have a build thread for your brewpi and other electronic goodies I see in the background?

Do you have a build thread for your brewpi and other electronic goodies I see in the background?

I followed FuzzeWuzze's thread here for the BrewPi. The case is a conduit box like this and an outlet box like this with appropriate covers. I bought these at the local Lowes store, but Home Depot, Menards or any other home improvement store will have something similar.

View from the top:

BrewPiBuild005.jpg

View from the bottom:

BrewPiBuild006.jpg

Inside:

BrewPiBuild001.jpg

The 2 Channel Relay Board is tucked under the outlet. This keeps all of the 120 volt power in the outlet box and away from the Arduino:

BrewPiBuild004.jpg

I don't have a RaspberryPi in this setup. I bought a USB 3.0 bridge and extension cable so I could plug into my brewery computer (over in the corner - running Debian Linux):

BrewPiBuild008.jpg
Brewery02.jpg

In use:

BrewPiBuild009.jpg

There is a second Arduino in use. That build is documented in this thread here and here. It uses a simple Python program to track the temps of the fermentors in the chamber that the BrewPi does not monitor. I haven't put this unit in a case yet, so It hangs out on top of the BrewPi case:

IMG_20160329_144814056_HDR.jpg

This is what the inside of the chamber looks like. The fermentor in the top right corner is monitored by the BrewPi. The other two fermentors are just monitored by the second Arduino:

IMG_20160329_144825376.jpg

I would definitely recommend a BrewPi if you are looking at temp controllers. It is a little more money than some of the other options, but the dual temperature probes, graphing, and customizable fermentation profiles make it an excellent choice. Of course, I like to build things so perhaps that colors my recommendation a bit? :D

Thanks for the deets, very interesting! Gives me some ideas for future projects.

/threadjack

blueberry wine

Hey guys, I know this thread is old and long...but tried making the super sugar method with blueberries...started out at 1.152 on 7/30/16, and now on 8/28/16 it is 1.096...should it take this long....? To get down to 1.030- 1.040? Thanks for any advise!

Last edited:
No it shouldn't.
Need wayyyyyy more details. Did you use concentrate or fresh blueberries? Type of yeast? Nutrients?

I just started a batch on 8/23 at SG 1.140 and on 8/28 it was 1.054.

Ok sorry, 20# fresh blueberries, 12 drops pectic enzyme, and 2 campden tablets. Smashed berries and let go for 5 days, stirring/crushing some more everyday. Strained out and got almost 6qts juice, add water to 5 gallon and needed 14# sugar to get to 1.152 S.G. also 1/4 tsp k meta. Let go 24 hrs and then add RC212 yeast. It's coming down but slowly, smells and tastes fine....thanks for any help or advice!

Doug

Did you add any nutrient to it? If not, that could be part of the problem.

I like the rc212 myself for fruit but with SG that high I would probably use 1118.

You all have to admit that I have been trying to be good lately. Watching videos like that sure makes it hard.

So what exactly would one call that? Hooker Red??

You have behaved admirably.

Don't know what it should be called, but that's not what I want to see popping out at me when taking the lid off of a 5 gallon bucket with a jug of fermenting liquid in it.

It's no wonder folks have such a misunderstanding of home winemaking.

Back