Just making sure on my first batch....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhkr

Reaction score
Ok, thought I would start a new thread with the updates on my first batch as I thought my original thread in the "equipment" area wasn't appropriate for where the conversation could be headed. I'm now at 36 since I introduced my yeast to my wine. To recap, I had a "panic" moment yesterday and thought I had maybe messed things up a little. HOWEVER, by the looks of things in my primary it seems all is going great! Here's what I did:
I started everything Monday 12/7, but didn't add the yeast until yesterday 12/8. Everything is sitting in my 2 gallon bucket, I had originally had the lid and fermentor on it, then read to leave it off so oxygen could get to it. I won't lie, I messed with this pretty badly, fumbling around with it, doing things that were, well, probably what newbies do. So my time is a little off as I originally added the yeast at noon, covered it with the lid and fermentor, left for about 6 hours, saw nothing happening, panic, and messed with it. Basically I added water as I didn't think I had enough liquid for a full 1 gallon and didn't want to not have enough when I went to secondary. Then seeing as I added more water I added more sugar and panic again. I was going for the "super sweet" method and originally had the SG at 1.150 then I messed with things and it went down to 1.130 (don't ask why I just didn't add more sugar, I had a "newbie" moment. After that I just left it and said, "If I screwed it up I'll know in 24-36 hours and I'll just start a new batch" So I stirred it last night before I went to bed and again this morning. There are light bubbles on top but it's definitely not going crazy. Here's a picture of what it looked like this morning:

So after work I went downstairs not expecting much, but to my surprise I lifted the towel and found a nice rich, thick foamy goodness looking back at me! I believe I have success!

The normal temperature downstairs in the bucket was reading around 66* or so, Reading how some yeast needs a bit warmer condition I added one of those microwave bean heating pads and wrapped it around my bucket and recovered with a heavier towel. This must have been what it needed as now the temperature is between 72-75*! I have to keep reheating the pad twice a day but that's not a biggie. Here's a picture of my little heating pad:

So my only REAL question is at what point should I start seeing my SG go down? It's still at 1.130 after 36 hours and since I re-started a little lower than the super sweet method, at what point should I transfer to secondary if I still want a semi-sweet wine? The original instructions say to pull from primary around 1.040-1.050, should I heed the same target or just go to dry and try my hand at back sweetening? Either way I'm just glad to see some good ol' bubbles! When I stirred it, it made that fuzzy sound! Hope that means the yeast is happy!! Thanks everyone for listening to me. So excited in seeing how this turns out. Everyone at my job is super excited too.....they know there will be free taste testing soon!

You started rather cold. I would start the clock at the point that you warmed it up. You should start to see the SG drop any time now and should really see it drop within the next 24 hours. You also need to consider when you might want to stop heating it. A vigorous fermentation will raise the temperature of your wine. If your wine's temp spikes beyond, say, 85 degrees, then stop warming it.

The one thing that you have not mentioned is the use of yeast nutrient. Are you using any?

By the looks of things, and your description, your fermentation is progressing normally.

You started rather cold. I would start the clock at the point that you warmed it up. You should start to see the SG drop any time now and should really see it drop within the next 24 hours. You also need to consider when you might want to stop heating it. A vigorous fermentation will raise the temperature of your wine. If your wine's temp spikes beyond, say, 85 degrees, then stop warming it.

The one thing that you have not mentioned is the use of yeast nutrient. Are you using any?

By the looks of things, and your description, your fermentation is progressing normally.

Thank you! I will continue to monitor the temp, but shouldn't have any issues with it going above 85*. Yes, I did add 1tsp of nutrient to the must. SG reading this morning was 1.110, so "it has begun!" Thank you again!

Last edited:
Are you making the Super Sugar Welchs?

If so, STICK to the plan and you will be fine. As John stated, your ferment looks good.
No, after 36hrs. you aren't going to see much drop in the SG.
Also, if you used Lalvin RC-212 yeast, that is why you had problems getting it going, due to the low temp. When I use it I usually have to throw some heating pads around the bucket to get it going.

Since you started your SG lower, I wouldn't rack it over until 1.020-1.030. The yeast will die off before you can get it dry so there will be some residual sugar(sweetness) left.

Last edited:
Are you making the Super Sugar Welchs?

If so, STICK to the plan and you will be fine. As John stated, your ferment looks good.
No, after 36hrs. you aren't going to see much drop in the SG.
Also, if you used Lalvin RC-212 yeast, that is why you had problems getting it going, due to the low temp. When I use it I usually have to throw some heating pads around the bucket to get it going.

Since you started your SG lower, I wouldn't rack it over until 1.020-1.030. The yeast will die off before you can get it dry so there will be some residual sugar(sweetness) left.
Well my original plan was to do the super sweet method, but then I "had a newbie moment " and it won't be the super sweet method, more like just plain sweet method. I used EC-1118 yeast. But my basement is rather cool at 65* so I gave her a boost anyway. I appreciate the help on when to rack. Thank you!

Well, with the yeast you chose, you may get it to ferment dry. We typically use RC-212 for the Super Sugar, which only ferments to 14% ABV.
I would give it 6-7 days of fermenting, then rack it over. I would bet it will around 1.000 somewhere by then. That way you can leave alot of the sediment behind and have less in your secondary.

Don't think you read anywhere to leave bucket uncovered to allow oxygen to enter. You would want to place a lid or cheesecloth on top to prevent bugs or other debris from falling in. also allows CO2 (in those little bubbles) to form a protective blanket but escape as well. Neat idea for the warmup. If you're thinking of going bigger, you'll want to invest in a brew-belt or the like. Most reds like 72-78F and whites are OK with mid 60's... I'm one of those who would suggest allowing fermentation to proceed till it won't go any more,,, in the bucket. Backsweetening to taste is always easier to accomplish than trying to stop a fermentation at a particular number

Don't think you read anywhere to leave bucket uncovered to allow oxygen to enter. You would want to place a lid or cheesecloth on top to prevent bugs or other debris from falling in. also allows CO2 (in those little bubbles) to form a protective blanket but escape as well. Neat idea for the warmup. If you're thinking of going bigger, you'll want to invest in a brew-belt or the like. Most reds like 72-78F and whites are OK with mid 60's... I'm one of those who would suggest allowing fermentation to proceed till it won't go any more,,, in the bucket. Backsweetening to taste is always easier to accomplish than trying to stop a fermentation at a particular number

Well it's not really uncovered, the towel goes over the top of the bucket and I wrap a rubber band around it.
I read it here as far as keeping it "uncovered". Probably not a good word for what I actually do, but I will go ahead and pop the lid with fermentor on this afternoon.

Back