Weird aroma after malo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CK55

Reaction score
So my wine just after malo has a sort of stinky aroma to it like H2S but slightly different. I added some sulfites after I racked it and if slightly helped does malo sometimes make such prominent off aromas I don't normally do malo so I'm not sure if this is a bad sign.

I used sangiovese grapes , have 3 gallons wine and also used white labs malolactic culture.

So my wine just after malo has a sort of stinky aroma to it like H2S but slightly different. I added some sulfites after I racked it and if slightly helped does malo sometimes make such prominent off aromas I don't normally do malo so I'm not sure if this is a bad sign.

I used sangiovese grapes , have 3 gallons wine and also used white labs malolactic culture.

I've never had off odors from MLF, and from my experience sangio goes through MLF quicker than some other grapes. Did you use any malo nutirents?

I would splash rack this once or twice and see if the odor still lingers.

I splash racked and then went and used the copper method with a piece of clean copper that was sanitized in star san and it kinda helped but its still lingering so im thinking the wine is fubar.

I splash racked and then went and used the copper method with a piece of clean copper that was sanitized in star san and it kinda helped but its still lingering so im thinking the wine is fubar.

I had a problem malbec in spring 2017 that took two Reduless applications to get the stink out. It's better than using straight copper(Reduless contains a controlled amount of copper). But if the copper pipe didn't correct your problem you might have a somewhat different issue.

I had a problem malbec in spring 2017 that took two Reduless applications to get the stink out. It's better than using straight copper(Reduless contains a controlled amount of copper). But if the copper pipe didn't correct your problem you might have a somewhat different issue.
One that I have not encountered then. I'm scratching head.

Latest posts

Back