WineXpert WE Wine Kit With Grape Pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is tax charged on wine ingredient kits in MO? In my experience in WI they are not charged sales tax, I thought it was considered "grocery" items.

When I was buying kits in Florida during my winter snow-birding, I was buying kits from wine making superstore who was charging 6% Florida sales tax. Then I started buying from southern homebrew and there was no Florida sales tax. I inquired and found out that wine making superstore was wrongfully charging sales tax. Needless to say, they lost my business and now I just shop with southern homebrew.

Hmmmm I could probably could do that ;) Been thinking of something like that for a while.
Did not see and e mail.
BTW, only tax charged is for MO residents only.

After thinking about it, I'm happy buying from southern homebrew in Florida and I do reside there in the winter so it's cost effective for me. It's nice that you have the time to reply to us on here; thank you.

After thinking about it, I'm happy buying from southern homebrew in Florida and I do reside there in the winter so it's cost effective for me. It's nice that you have the time to reply to us on here; thank you.

If you are close they are a pretty good deal, they sell real low but double the shipping to make up for the low price. I did a comparison to have a kit shipped to me and I was cheaper by about $2 with my prices and $10 shipping. They wanted over $35 to ship a kit:ft

That's right, very good prices on kits but shipping was higher.

The Florida outfit has always bee tempting BUT the low prices and marked up shipping is smoke and mirrors to me and worth avoiding for me. WE made a huge mistake splitting up with George.

The Florida outfit has always bee tempting BUT the low prices and marked up shipping is smoke and mirrors to me and worth avoiding for me. WE made a huge mistake splitting up with George.

I've ordered from them a couple of times last year without issue, but I have noticed recently that, while the prices of the kits hasn't changed really, shipping is now about $10 higher than I use to pay.

I've been buying from the Florida outfit for years now without ever having an issue. In fact, one time they mis-shipped the kit and sent another one immediately. You can't ask for better service. I frequent their store when I am in Florida and sometimes I can stand there and chit-chat for hours. One time the owner came in. He's a no nonsense guy who doesn't make small talk very well. From what they tell me he owns several businesses. He seemed nice enough. :D

I also own a business and their shipping is in line with current UPS listed pricing which is similar to what my son and I charge. All this is really moot. Who cares if they charge $98 to ship and give you the kit free. The bottom-line is the delivered price to me. That's all I care about. However, what they say is indeed true. If they can sell a kit for a certain price then other sellers are gouging. $10 shipping is really smoke and mirrors. Ask George to show you his shipping fee on a shipment going to New York or California. If he can ship a 30lb box for $10 I will print this thread and eat it.

Even Walmart can't satisfy 100% of its customer 100% of the time. Time to move on and get back to talking wine. :b

Oh and one thing worth mentioning that you stated it was a shame that WE broke up with George. Major companies don't just break up with successful retailers for doing a great job. There has to be more to that story that their telling us. :db

while the prices of the kits hasn't changed really, shipping is now about $10 higher than I use to pay.

I am a shipper myself and can confirm that rates from UPS and Fed-Ex have not changed in about 18 months. Anyone raising shipping charges right now is simply adding profit. I am a big believer in folks making fair profits but not with smoke and mirrors. Lots of folks are happy with the Florida outfit. If I lived near by I would shop there.

I am a shipper myself and can confirm that rates from UPS and Fed-Ex have not changed in about 18 months. Anyone raising shipping charges right now is simply adding profit. I am a big believer in folks making fair profits but not with smoke and mirrors. Lots of folks are happy with the Florida outfit. If I lived near by I would shop there.

tony, UPS did increase their rates in January this year. Fedex as well.

Part of my job is supporting both inbound and outbound (shipping) products...so I know this for a fact...

tony, UPS did increase their rates in January this year. Fedex as well.

Part of my job is supporting both inbound and outbound (shipping) products...so I know this for a fact...

I'm on a national contract and perhaps our contract isn't up yet. From Texas to Florida at 40-50 pounds a $10.00 increase would be about 50%. A couple years ago I actually tried to order from Florida and use my shipping account. The owner refused my order unless he shipped it at his rates.

Ah so you see there is a difference. Unfortunately, in my business we are not on a national contract and have received many increases from UPS throughout the year and we pass those costs on to our customers. I would assume other UPS shippers have received increases as well. If $10 is a 50% increase for you then you can ship 40-50lbs from Texas to Florida would be a great rate and not something the average businessman can obtain.

I noted that you tried to use your UPS account with the Florida boys and I did as well. Quite frankly they declined the offer and after having them explain their reasoning, I accepted it. It seems that no one will take care of your property as well as the owner. If the owner relinquished that responsibility to the buyer, the buyer has no obligation to follow through like the owner if a claim should arise.They also mentioned that using other account numbers opens a possibility for charge-back and fraud. After listening to their reasoning, quite frankly it's very sound. In fact, so sound that in my business we no longer are accepting 3rd party shipping because we had both instances happen with us; fraud and where the 3rd party would not follow through on a claim - it was a nightmare. I agree with the southern boys.

Latest posts

Back