WineXpert WE Selection International Argentine Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This past week, I tasted another bottle from this batch and I have to say that it has started to come around, which pleases me. Both the nose and taste have opened up and are presenting smooth versions of my previous tasting notes. At this point, the oak has settled down and works well with the wine. While the weight of the wine (like other WE kit wines I've tasted) is rather light in the mouth (skim milk vs. whole milk), it is developing nicely.

- Jim

Another two months have shown good development with this Malbec. After a bit of aeration, the nose is a very nice blossom of mulberry or plum, raspberry, and some mixed spices with toast. The wine seemed more full in the mouth than previously tasted (could be the more robust flavor), was medium in lengthand left a very nice fadingaftertaste. The tannin level seemed low to medium only for the sense that my mouth did not get progressively coated - they were well integrated with the rest of the flavors of the wine (which seems to match very consistently with the nose). With somewhere around two cases of this wine remaining, I'm looking forward to how it develops over the next months to come. As it stands right now, I plan on entering it into the 2009 WineMaker contest again and would like to think it would fair much better this time around (compared to 1-2 months in the bottle last time).

- Jim

Sounds like its coming along good. I did the RJS Limited Ed. Chilean Malbec last year and its phenominal now and will get entered into 2 contests.

my melbec is from Chilean juice,much more of a notable taste difference than the other reds I,ve made,kind of earthy,good tannins (used powdered tannins) after fermentation,keeps the mouth feel were i want it to be instead of what ever happens with the oak levels,just experimenting,caramra,very fruit but still young ,i did notice that both wines were on the thin side ,wade remember the cab/that sort of body weight ,but there still infants yet with time to grow............waiting for the Californians to come in this week....got more cab/coming in and voiginer,itys will be directly behind them,getting sangenevse,berrillo and amarone.........................................................thinking of mixing the sang/ and berrillo should make a good super Tuscany what do you think.........

Im sure all will be awesome. I know Cellar Craft mixes the Cab and a Merlot for their Super Tuscan.

After experiencing KT with this kit in the first year, my WE Argentine Malbec has improved significantly. I made my kit in August 07. Tonight I opened a bottle to use for top up wine after racking another wine. I am drinking the remainder of the bottle and am quite pleased. It has a very complex nose and a smooth taste. Lesson learned: set these WE kits aside for a few years and they improve dramatically.

Dfw,
The 18-month mark seemed to be a turning point for this one for me and I pitched yeast around April of 2007, so try another bottle in April of 2009 and let me know how it has developed and if you see further improvement.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back