WineXpert WE Selection Enigma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, we racked, degassed and added 30g of French Oak tonight. It could use another 300ml to top off, but the directions say, "no worries". Think I'll top it over the weekend anyway - will go look for a similar blend.

Last edited:
I just bought some Tannin Riche Extra (18g) and Tannin Complex (30g) and know I won't use it all this fall. Can hook you up through my "family" connection if you need any, just say the word.

Finally got a taste. It's drinkable, but very young without much in the way of distinguishing characteristics. I'm hoping to rack the wine off the oak this weekend (it's been 6 weeks); and give it a bit o' finishing tannin for good measure. After another month, I'll bottle.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are already part of the family. Thanksgiving is over at the WSCC, I'll make sure my Mom adds some chairs!

Brother is closer (I'm real lazy). Rarely see BIL, but always enjoy seeing him. His Dad is a hoot (Vern).

Edit: actually the more I thought about this one, I would get a chuckle at you and my brother being caught passing a baggie of an unknown substance in a Harrisburg parking garage, because you could explain what was in the baggie. But my niece and your daughter wouldn't have a chance. I can see the headlines, "new tannin derived drug shows up in mid-state schools, news at 11".

Last edited:
Edit: actually the more I thought about this one, I would get a chuckle at you and my brother being caught passing a baggie of an unknown substance in a Harrisburg parking garage, because you could explain what was in the baggie. But my niece and your daughter wouldn't have a chance. I can see the headlines, "new tannin derived drug shows up in mid-state schools, news at 11".

LOL - there's actually a surveillance camera mounted on the wall in front of my spot... that would be a very interesting conversation... "No, officer... It's tannin. Tannin.... T-A-N-N-I-N. For wine. Sure, go ahead and taste it. You won't like it."

Finally got a taste. It's drinkable, but very young without much in the way of distinguishing characteristics. I'm hoping to rack the wine off the oak this weekend (it's been 6 weeks); and give it a bit o' finishing tannin for good measure. After another month, I'll bottle.

Oops, edited an old post instead of quoting. :d

Well, it's over 3 months since you started, way past the time frame if you followed the kit directions to a "T". Just make sure you use some of those 375ml bottles if you have any left.

I know you don't need help, but I'm trying to help you justify bottling. I have problems bottling during the week, too much activity in the bottling area (kitchen).

I did 12 375's for a blackberry I bottled a couple of weeks back, and I just walked over and counted only 7. Guess we are liking the blackberry already!

I did 12 375's for a blackberry I bottled a couple of weeks back, and I just walked over and counted only 7. Guess we are liking the blackberry already!

Nice! I had a WV Malbec last night... It was pleasant, but thin and light. More like a Pinot than a Malbec.

Waiting for my wines to be ready is killing me.

Nice! I had a WV Malbec last night... It was pleasant, but thin and light. More like a Pinot than a Malbec.

Waiting for my wines to be ready is killing me.

I agree, this waiting thing is for the birds. But our patience will be rewarded, they say. I've noticed the few that have been in the bottle the longest have definitely become better, even if they are welches based. They started out sort of ho-hum and thin and have seemed to get fuller in body but smoother as time has progressed. I'm glad I have a few of these quickie kits bottled so we would keep our hands off of the good stuff. I will admit though, the Pinot Grigio from this spring, though quite bracing, is also very drinkable at this point, only going on 6 months old. I'd bet your Chardonnay will come in handy over the holidays.

Back