WineXpert WE Selection Enigma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please do. I commuted 1 1/4 hours everyday for 10 years to Lancaster. Nice short trip if it saves some bucks.

I've considered a trailer and a trip to Kent Ohio, but would have to buy 10 or so kits to make it worth the time.

So I got everything bottled from this batch. And then I realized that I grabbed the wrong bag of corks.

One bag was a corkador set up to fume them with KMeta and the other bag was what was left. I took the solution out to dump it and when I came back I grabbed the untreated bag by accident.

Is this a big deal? Do I need to uncork 30 bottles and recork with treated ones?

Last edited:
I've read where people state that sanitizer actually degrades the cork.

Interesting. Never heard that before. But, then again, KMeta is some potent stuff.

I went simple for this one as far as a name

L'énigme Maison Rouge
CALIFORNIA RED.

Green capsules with a tan label and "California Red" in green lettering.

Will post a pic when done.

Last edited:

Interesting. Never heard that before. But, then again, KMeta is some potent stuff.

I think you are referring to sanitizing liquid degrading agglomerated cork. I think this stems from the solvent (water) working on the glue of the cork. I doubt the sanitizer itself is responsible.

This is the very reason the corkidor was developed. You get the sanitizing power of SO2 gas, without the solvent action of the water medium.

Folks let me try to clear up the issues around Enigma F.G.
Firstly, if you want a dry dry red wine, this one is not for you. This kit was developed in the vein of that #1 selling commercial red wine in the U.S. this past year or two. I wont mention it by name but it starts with an A. :)
Secondly I notice from some of the posts that folks are making the wine their own way rather than following the instructions to the letter, which is absolutely fine. Where our instructions say the FG will be around .996 we assume that you are following our instuctions, which include transferring the wine from primary to carboy at around 1.010 while fermentation is still active. Moving to a secondary will slow the fermentation down due to the lack of new oxygen, and FG will be in the target range. If you ferment right out in a single stage it is possible to go below .996.
However, respectfully I would recommend that if you want a dry red wine you will most likely be more satisfied with the results of a kit that is intended to ferment out dry, rather than trying to force out a kit that is intended to have some residual sugar.

Folks let me try to clear up the issues around Enigma F.G.

Firstly, if you want a dry dry red wine, this one is not for you. This kit was developed in the vein of that #1 selling commercial red wine in the U.S. this past year or two. I wont mention it by name but it starts with an A. :)

However, respectfully I would recommend that if you want a dry red wine you will most likely be more satisfied with the results of a kit that is intended to ferment out dry, rather than trying to force out a kit that is intended to have some residual sugar.

Peter - I'm surprised and honored by your post. I realized when I bought this one that it was close to what I wanted, but not quite. Frankly, it was as close as I could find to the flavor profile that I wanted. The tweakery (that's a word, I'm sure) along the way is intended to hit that target - for me that meant a bit more body, a little drier and a little oakier. I'm very pleased with the result. I won't know for sure for another year, I think. But, I think I hit my target.

I'm interested though in your opinion on a Meritage or Claret style kit. Two of the LE's for this year caught my eye. What would you suggest?ImageUploadedByWine Making1446908255.486226.jpg

Last edited:
Peter - I'm surprised and honored by your post. I realized when I bought this one that it was close to what I wanted, but not quite. Frankly, it was as close as I could find to the flavor profile that I wanted. The tweakery (that's a word, I'm sure) along the way is intended to hit that target - for me that meant a bit more body, a little drier and a little oakier. I'm very pleased with the result. I won't know for sure for another year, I think. But, I think I hit my target.

I'm interested though in your opinion on a Meritage or Claret style kit. Two of the LE's for this year caught my eye. What would you suggest?View attachment 25655

Great question. I'm sure you know that Claret and Meritage are just different terms for what we consider traditional Bordeaux blends. In England Bordeaux is called Claret, and in the U.S. wines made with any blend of the 5 traditional Bordeaux grapes can be called Meritage. That term is owned by the American Winemaker's Association.
So, if you want a traditional Bordeaux blend with full body, the Fourtitude would be your best bet. The caveat is that these are Australian grapes, so it would be an Australian-style Bordeaux (we are not aloowed to use the word Bordeaux in any of our materials), which technically is neither a Meritage nor a Claret.
If you want a California blended red at medium-full body (something like a Menage a Trois for example) then the Mosaic would be your best choice.

If you want a California blended red at medium-full body (something like a Menage a Trois for example) then the Mosaic would be your best choice.

Thank you, I will put the Fortitude on my list for this year. What I'd really like is an Eclipse Petit Sirah, though. WE did a Limited Edition some years ago before I got into the hobby. But, it never found a permanent place in your line up.

You have some big Italian Reds (Forza is also on my list for this winter), but I would love to add a Stags Leap District PS to my cellar.

So a month later, this wine a full bodied and fruit forward.. off dry. Very good for such a youngster. I'm hoping this one mellows over the next year.

We'll revisit this one in a few months.

Last edited:
Back