WineXpert WE Selection Enigma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't seen @PeterMills here in a while. I really enjoyed getting his perspective. Hope we didn't scare him off. :D

No, you should open that one and try it. I'll shoot you a 750ml later.

So you are saying you'd rather me try it now instead of letting it mellow more? Okay, I can do that today, twist my arm! Needed an interesting red while I clean bottles/kegs and rack a bunch of wines. I could also do the Stags Leap sample since it is almost 3 months older? I figured the Tuscan is the youngest so I'd try that one last.

Are you chilling the Enigma at all to serve or just serving at cellar temperature? It's 58*F currently in the "cellar". If need be I can move it upstairs where it is more like 65-67*F.

Tried one of my Sangiovese last night (with stromboli) and I noticed I couldn't find any leftovers this morning. Shedding some of the youngness, but still needs more time, much more time.

You have a nearly ideal temp for reds, IMHO. That's where I keep my wine fridge set.

That's what I thought, but being such a new wine enjoyer I wasn't sure. I've had a few reds that were warmer and can get to the point of revolting on the initial sip. After that they are okay. I like around 55-60, then let it warm up as I enjoy the rest of the glass I poured.

Plus it is fun to experience the taste changes as it slowly warms up. Sort of like having a stout or porter too cold and the flavor opens up and gets richer as the temperature warms.

If you haven't yet, try the stags leap. Let the enigma set a while longer. Cellar temps.

Too late, Enigma started. Maybe the Stags Leap tomorrow. Tasting the Enigma beside my tinkered with Diablo Rojo. Oak. alcohol and sweetness similar, after that they are way different wines. The Diablo Rojo is getting more refined, but the Enigma has already surpassed it. I do notice the DR sweetness not as noticeable at this point, I think the sweetness has integrating better into the overall flavor profile. But then again it is two months older than the Enigma.

I expect the Enigma will have the sweetness more integrated in a few months. At that point it will be a very good wine. The oak is also nice on the Enigma, amazing what you can taste sampling some before lunch with a clean palette.

Started this kit the beginning of this month sg was 1.100 currently sitting at 1.000. Racked it for the 2nd time cuz I had it in a 5 gal and a1gal cuz my 6 gal carboy was occupied racked both times without the tip on. So hoping it gets to .998. I was glad @PeterMills chimed in. Was thinking of adding some oak to this, but still debating. I want to thank jgmann67 and ceeaton for this thread. This is the first kit I made to the full 6 gal keeping a close eye on sg as I always do when making a kit.:db

Started this kit the beginning of this month sg was 1.100 currently sitting at 1.000. Racked it for the 2nd time cuz I had it in a 5 gal and a1gal cuz my 6 gal carboy was occupied racked both times without the tip on. So hoping it gets to .998. I was glad @PeterMills chimed in. Was thinking of adding some oak to this, but still debating. I want to thank jgmann67 and ceeaton for this thread. This is the first kit I made to the full 6 gal keeping a close eye on sg as I always do when making a kit.:db

If it helps, I think the added oak is what's prolonging the aging process for mine. Not that it's bad right now, just too soon to tell if the tweaks did what I wanted them to do.

A month later... And 8 months since I started. I fear I monkeyed with this one too much. Color and clarity are fine. There's not much nose at all (we'll blame the lack of a grape pack). The taste is muddled. Not sure what it is quite yet. This will probably sit a few months till I revisit.

A month later... And 8 months since I started. I fear I monkeyed with this one too much. Color and clarity are fine. There's not much nose at all (we'll blame the lack of a grape pack). The taste is muddled. Not sure what it is quite yet. This will probably sit a few months till I revisit.

Your wine is going into the "teenager stage". Not quite sure what is going on yet confident enough to tell you to mind your own business.

I noticed that with the Diablo Rojo. As the sweetness became a bit less noticeable (I assumed it was integrating into the flavor profile with the oak), there were tastings where it was different, but it was hard to tell what was different.

Give it a few more months and when it comes out the other side it and you will know what it is.

Drinking wine in the morning does not mean you're an alcoholic... It means you're a winemaker.

Cleaning up the house this morning, I got a taste of the Enigma after it had been left out overnight. Call me crazy, but it was REALLY good.

Drinking wine in the morning does not mean you're an alcoholic... It means you're a winemaker.

Ha! True. I racked the acidic Cab from cold stabilization at 6:30 this morning and gave it a taste to confirm I'd actually reduced the acidity.

Ha! True. I racked the acidic Cab from cold stabilization at 6:30 this morning and gave it a taste to confirm I'd actually reduced the acidity.

Well, 6:30 am, you beat me. Normally when me and my two brothers go up to our cabin North of here, we tend to pop open a beer when we are outdoors cooking up some bacon for breakfast. Breakfast is usually a bit late up there depending on the activities the night before. You must have had at least one cup of coffee to qualify for the beer. Otherwise you get a penalty and usually are in charge of either cooking lunch or dinner, which means you have to tone down the intake of alcohol just enough to be able to function and pull off a good meal.

Of course I am bullsh*tting you, we all fight to cook meals since we all love to cook. If you are cooking you are usually drinking.

Tasting this again. Two nights ago, it was okay - drinkable, but still fairly nondescript. But, I put a vacuum on it and left it on the counter for a couple days. Some very nice character came out. I'd hate to think this will need to sit for another year till it tastes like it does now (without letting it sit out for two days). I want to pull the cork and have it taste like this.

Latest posts

Back