WineXpert WE Riesling Ice Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
I made a double batch of this ice wine style riesling and all has gone well to this point.
Degassed and added all the clarifiers as instructed, left for my NY wine run that I do every year and upon returning I see the riesling has a fine line of clear wine at the top and the rest is still cloudy, about 3" is clear.
The time frame for the wine to clear by instructions will be up on the 21st of the month.
Question: Is there any reason for concern at this point or should I just let nature do what it does? </font>

P.S. temps in the room dropped to around 62 - 65 F over the weekend as I had nothing else going on in there and could not hurt anything( I thought!)... just have 28 gallons clearing in that area.

Mine took a really long time to clear, thought I was going to re-pitch the clearing. Worth the wait.
VC

Hoped to hear something like that, thanks vcasey.

How long did you end up giving it till you were ready to bottle?
not that I'm in a hurry, but just an idea so I know when I should look at other alternatives.

My Peach Ice wine did not clear at all with 2 packets of the fining agent included in the kit over 2 months. I added SuperKleer and even that struggled to clear but did after about 3 weeks but tastes amazing! These Ice wine kits are much harder to degas also so you may not be as degassed as usual.

It took a month the first time and 2 the second. Wade is right about the challenge to get them degassed and cooler temps can make that difficult as well.
VC

I degassed with a mixster and I even used a vacuum seal to finish the process off for an extra day. after seening no more bubbles I proceeded with the fining agents and mixed it up even more, and still I have this problem.

thought I over killed the degassing, but maybe not.
Should I try degassing again or won't the fining agents work the second time around?

I would just wait. It won't hurt anything, and it will probably be pretty clear in a month or so.

The more viscus the wine the harder (longer) it is to clear. Ice wine should be aged in the carboy any way.

Remember the 3 "P's" ?

Latest posts

Back