WineXpert Question on instructions from WE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently making two WinExpert white kits, a triple batch of Selection California Sauvignon Blanc and a single batch of New Zealand Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc. The instructions call for stirring up the sediment at the end of the secondary phase of fermentation and before adding the K-meta, Sorbate and clarifiers. This seems counter-intuitive to me. I made two of the WE Selection (Pinot Grigio and Traminer-Riesling) kits a while back and followed this instruction but I am wondering if I should on these two wines. The PG and T-R come out fine but took a long time and a couple of rackings to clear.

1. Does anyone know why WE requires this? I don't recall seeing this on any other manufacturer's instructions.

2. Has anyone tried this without stirring up the sediment at the end of secondary?

I would add that there is a lot of very fine sediment at the bottom of the carboys, perhaps one-half to one inch. It seems to me if the SG is in the low 0.990's, stirring the yeast back into suspension does nothing and it definitely extends the clearing period.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Rocky, I believe they do this to ensure that the clarifiers have some feeder material to latch onto so that it can also attract the smaller items as it fines the wine. Mostly I see this on their whites, without skin packs. I think the big reds have enough solids floating in them already that they don't need the lees.

If you stir them up the wine will clear in 4-5 days. If you don't have enough lees or don't stir them up it could take a month or two to clear. For example, I have a Gerwertziminer (I need to learn to spell that one day) clearing now that I fermented in the normal bucket and stirred the lees in. It is crystal clear after a week. I also have a Chardonnay that fermented in a barrel. That left a lot of the lees in the barrel. I processed step 3 the same way on both and my Chardonnay is still very cloudy and is clearing very slowly. I attribute that to the fewer lees that were left in at after I racked from the barrel. Just not enough material for the negative or positive charge that the agents need to clear the wine.

In time they will clear either way, it's just up to you as to how much time you want to take.

Rocky, I agree this seems counter intuitive to the other kit manufacturers and their instructions. The difference is WE uses a one step clarifier and the rest use a two step (like Super Kleer). The lees and sediment actually serve a purpose and aid in clearing the wine. If you rack off the sediment it may not clear properly or at all without additional fining agents. Let me just say it works and works very well. Just make sure of the usual. Wine is degassed and reasonably warm. The fastest clearing wines to date have been the WE Whites for me. Most are completely clear in 24-72 hours.

Ted and Mike, Thanks for your responses. I think it makes sense for me to will follow the instructions. I tried to call WE today but it is Canada Day so most people were not working.

Mike, when you say "warm," what is a good temperature? My cellar is at about 68*F right now. Should I increase that for clearing? I have a small space heater that I could use if necessary. Thanks.

"]http://blog.jordanwinery.com/2011/02/batonnage-an-old-world-winemaking-technique-preserved-each-winter/[/URL]

The process is a form of batonnage see the article for explanation

It will clear fine at 68 but 70-74 clears faster. If your not in a hurry just leave it. Its a chemical reaction of sorts and they work faster with heat. I would not use anything more than a brew belt at most for a few hours a day to bump it up in temp a bit. After it clears let it drop back down.

Mike, when you say "warm," what is a good temperature? My cellar is at about 68*F right now. Should I increase that for clearing? I have a small space heater that I could use if necessary. Thanks.

You know how I Tweak's but I always follow the instructions, they know what their product needs and yes I have had to tack some time more than once.the blanc should be heavier in fine solids.and that not saying much.did you us the yeast that came with the kit.

Last edited:
You know how I Tweak's but I always follow the instructions, they know what their product needs and yes I have had to tack some time more than once.the blanc should be heavier in fine solids.and that not saying much.did you us the yeast that came with the kit.

Thanks, Joe. I did use the yeast that came with the kit which was EC1118. I have not experimented with alternate yeasts on a large scale. I do have two batches of Chardonnay going at this time from Chilean juice. I used Blanc de Blanc in one and Pasteur Champagne in the other.

Do you have any suggestions for alternative yeasts for various whites? Frankly, I have not been overly pleased with my white wines but my Bride and Daughter seem to like them.

Where do you feel they fall Short ,body? Or taste?

Last edited:
Rocky, I love my white wines. D47 or QA23 are both top notch.

Pam in cinti

If crispness in the back end is what you require then add the zest of 1/2 a grapefruit to the mix either in the secondary or two weeks before you bottle that will give you a clean brightness to the finish. If you lack body or depth to the flavor of the wine, then make a white grape fpac and add that to the primary, boost the ABV. To at least 12%,yeast really doesn't matter to much in a 6 gallon batch,if your doing saviognon blanca, then a cup of dried elderberry flowers in the secondary is outstanding, just my thoughts.

Joe is giving great advice here. I just made my most favorite ever white wine. Sauvignon Blanc hit with grapefruit zest. I never want to run out, and am planning to buy 2 buckets this coming fall to repeat the process. It's only about 7-8 months old now. I used the QA23 on this one.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back