Trying Again but Confused by Kit Instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amorgan

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I almost quit, but so many of you WMF friends talked me out if it and gave me great suggestions - one of which is to try a few kits first, until I get a better hang of it, then maybe go back to fruit. So - I bought a small amount of strawberry concentrate from Colomafrozen.com, to try a very small (1 Gal) batch, and I found a simple recipe that makes sense. I also bought a Cabernet Kit, but I'm not sure I trust the recipe/instructions - I attached a copy for your opinions.
1. I thought primary fermentation is usually in a bucket, with a lid on loosely to breathe, for about two weeks or until I reach SG at (or under) 1.0. This says primary is in a fermenter with an airlock for 25 days? And no mention of a tiny dose of Potassium Meta?
2. These instructions suggest bottling at 3 months. Shouldn't I instead rack it 2-3 times over the course of several months and maybe even a year before I bottle?
3. What the heck does "Transfer to a Bottling Bucket" mean? If I've been in secondary fermentation for 3 months being careful to limit O2 exposure with an airlock and all, why would I ever then transfer it to a bucket, then STIR in the potassium metabisulphite? Wouldn't I instead siphon to the bottles (or better yet to another carboy with my tiny dose of potassium metabisulphite for a couple/few more months)?
Thank you!
Ann

Attachments

• 5D1A2FA7-9A64-4ABF-9082-A872D8B200EC.jpeg
    5D1A2FA7-9A64-4ABF-9082-A872D8B200EC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
First, toss the instructions. Second, go to Bryan's Wine & Beer Making Site – fine wines since 1981 … Winemaker81's blog and read how to make wine from store bought juice. That will give you a good overview. Just sub your concentrate or kit for the store bought juice in his process. Bryan has a good step by step explanation. Read it over and don't panic. The only time to panic is when you spill wine all over the floor or carpet and need to do a massive clean up. Everything else is not a rush and you can take your time.

Don't overthink.

To answer your last question, the instruction to transfer to a bottling bucket is one way to bottle, once you are ready to bottle. It does expose the wine to oxygen but not for a long period of time unless you take many hours to bottle a batch. I have used a bucket for beer and wine but I also have bottled out of a gallon jug or a small carboy. Don't worry about bottling for 3 or 4 months for anything you make except maybe Skeeter Pee or Dragon Blood.

First, toss the instructions. Second, go to Bryan's Wine & Beer Making Site – fine wines since 1981 … Winemaker81's blog and read how to make wine from store bought juice. That will give you a good overview. Just sub your concentrate or kit for the store bought juice in his process. Bryan has a good step by step explanation. Read it over and don't panic. The only time to panic is when you spill wine all over the floor or carpet and need to do a massive clean up. Everything else is not a rush and you can take your time.

Don't overthink.

To answer your last question, the instruction to transfer to a bottling bucket is one way to bottle, once you are ready to bottle. It does expose the wine to oxygen but not for a long period of time unless you take many hours to bottle a batch. I have used a bucket for beer and wine but I also have bottled out of a gallon jug or a small carboy. Don't worry about bottling for 3 or 4 months for anything you make except maybe Skeeter Pee or Dragon Blood.
Thanks - I'll check out Bryans instructions!

So I almost quit, but so many of you WMF friends talked me out if it and gave me great suggestions - one of which is to try a few kits first, until I get a better hang of it, then maybe go back to fruit. So - I bought a small amount of strawberry concentrate from Colomafrozen.com, to try a very small (1 Gal) batch, and I found a simple recipe that makes sense. I also bought a Cabernet Kit, but I'm not sure I trust the recipe/instructions - I attached a copy for your opinions.
1. I thought primary fermentation is usually in a bucket, with a lid on loosely to breathe, for about two weeks or until I reach SG at (or under) 1.0. This says primary is in a fermenter with an airlock for 25 days? And no mention of a tiny dose of Potassium Meta?
2. These instructions suggest bottling at 3 months. Shouldn't I instead rack it 2-3 times over the course of several months and maybe even a year before I bottle?
3. What the heck does "Transfer to a Bottling Bucket" mean? If I've been in secondary fermentation for 3 months being careful to limit O2 exposure with an airlock and all, why would I ever then transfer it to a bucket, then STIR in the potassium metabisulphite? Wouldn't I instead siphon to the bottles (or better yet to another carboy with my tiny dose of potassium metabisulphite for a couple/few more months)?
Thank you!
Ann
Dang, them instructions are enough to confuse most anybody, ok transfer , we call that racking, ,, which is to syphon from one contained to another, always to ferment in a open top bucket, with a loose lid, or towel over you bucket, then rack to your carboy when you get the same reading for 3 days in a row using your triple scale hydrometer,
, at that time you rack from primary ( open top fermenter to your secondary ( carboy and airlock ) add you k-meta then, then you wait for time for it to degas and clear,= yeast solids drop to bottom, it is easier said then done, but just relax and watch, no hurries,
Dawg

Ann, start making your notes where ever you plan to keep the recipes; notebook, phone, spreadsheet. Follow Bryan's steps and make your own notes on the steps and process. Next kit, throw out the instructions (or keep to read in later years just for kicks) and follow your notes for the process. Soon you will be going through the steps without thinking.

Remember people have been making wine without instructions and fancy equipment for millennium.

Ann, I have 3 posts that may be valuable to you. These are designed to answer the basic questions and get a beginner through the process. As such, they don't address advanced topics that only serve to make the confusion worse.

This one is geared towards someone who wants to make wine from store-bought juice using no special equipment. For most experienced winemakers, it's far from ideal, but it lets someone get their feet wet without investing anything.
https://wine.bkfazekas.com/making-quick-wine-from-commercial-juice/
This one is a basic process for fresh fruit, grapes or otherwise. I see a need for one for kits, so I may add another to my site.
https://wine.bkfazekas.com/basic-winemaking-process/
Finally, my tips for reducing loss in racking, useful on any type of recipe.
https://wine.bkfazekas.com/reducing-wine-loss/

Ann, I have 3 posts that may be valuable to you. These are designed to answer the basic questions and get a beginner through the process. As such, they don't address advanced topics that only serve to make the confusion worse.

This one is geared towards someone who wants to make wine from store-bought juice using no special equipment. For most experienced winemakers, it's far from ideal, but it lets someone get their feet wet without investing anything.
This one is a basic process for fresh fruit, grapes or otherwise. I see a need for one for kits, so I may add another to my site.
I am using your 2nd link Basic Winemaking as we speak!

Hi Bryan! Your website is very helpful and easy for beginners to understand. Can you believe I am using the second link, Basic Winemaking Process, right now as we speak! Sanitizing complete. Now to get the must ready and start the yeast starter. Then I’ll add it first thing in the morning.

Im starting a 3 gal Cabernet and a 1 gal strawberry. The strawberry recipe calls for pectin enzyme in the must. The recipe was for fresh strawberries but I’m using frozen concentrate from Coloma (recommended by Dawg!). Should I leave that out since I’m not using fresh fruit? Thank you!

The bottling bucket serves two purposes. A number of kits only call for one racking for the entire process. Using a bottling bucket gives one additional racking. This should help leave any particles in the bottom of the carboy and lessen the chance of transferring them to your bottles. Also bottling buckets usually have a spigot which I feel gives me more control of the transfer than using a siphon.

Last edited:

Yikes. I followed the strawberry recipe and my starting SG is 1.150. Will I be ok?

Maybe. What yeast? Though if it doesn't start fermenting in a day or so, you may have to add some water. Worse case you may need to add some frozen strawberries and make a 2 gallon batch. I've had to water back some batches to get the sg down. We can fix most anything.

The strawberry recipe calls for pectin enzyme in the must. The recipe was for fresh strawberries but I’m using frozen concentrate from Coloma (recommended by Dawg!). Should I leave that out since I’m not using fresh fruit?
I add pectic enzyme to all fruit recipes, as it helps break down the fruit, and I've had at least a bit of pectin haze enough times to just add it up front, rather than later. The fact that the must is concentrate doesn't change that -- if anything, if heating was used in preparation of the concentrate, it may be necessary.

Regarding the OG, IF the wine ferments out, you're looking at 21% ABV ... EC-1118 stops at 18%, although folks have reported step feeding higher. I agree with @VinesnBines that's you'll need to water it back, else you'll have very sweet rocket fuel.

What is the volume of the strawberry must? Once we know that, we can calculate the amount of volume you must add to dial the OG down.

@hounddawg, any idea how much loss she'll experience from fruit solids dropping?

williamsbrewing.com I searched specifically for 3 gallon kits because that's the size carboys I have right now and I'm trying to keep my restart as simple as possible.

Williams is a good company. They are more into brewing than wine making. My first ever batch I did in a bucket under an airlock. It turned out ok.

Maybe. What yeast? Though if it doesn't start fermenting in a day or so, you may have to add some water. Worse case you may need to add some frozen strawberries and make a 2 gallon batch. I've had to water back some batches to get the sg down. We can fix most anything.
How often should I check the SG, and when, so we can figure out if I will need to make adjustments? Notice I said we lol. Thanks for your help.

I add pectic enzyme to all fruit recipes, as it helps break down the fruit, and I've had at least a bit of pectin haze enough times to just add it up front, rather than later. The fact that the must is concentrate doesn't change that -- if anything, if heating was used in preparation of the concentrate, it may be necessary.

Regarding the OG, IF the wine ferments out, you're looking at 21% ABV ... EC-1118 stops at 18%, although folks have reported step feeding higher. I agree with @VinesnBines that's you'll need to water it back, else you'll have very sweet rocket fuel.

What is the volume of the strawberry must? Once we know that, we can calculate the amount of volume you must add to dial the OG down.

@hounddawg, any idea how much loss she'll experience from fruit solids dropping?
Ok I added the pectic enzyme. The recipe suggested 1/2 tsp and the bottle suggested 1/8 (for my one gallon) so I added 1/4 tsp. 🤷‍♀️ I started with one quart strawberry concentrate from Coloma (frozen) then added 3.5 quarts water and 35 oz of sugar to make the syrup. That should give me about 4.5 quarts so when I get to secondary fermentation I will be able to fill the 1 gal carboy.

Latest posts

Back