WineXpert WE Peach Apricot Chardonnay Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alstang1

Junior
Reaction score
Hey Peeps,

After finnishing up my last few bottles of Hobo grape wine, and plunging into making a Welches Grape Peach blend, I decided to purchase a kit, to see how I compare to the professional kits. I ordered the WE Peach Apricot Chard. via telephone, basicly. I did not become aware of specific's of this kit until I received it at the house today. I ordered a 5 gal Carboy, and read the directions on the kit, only to find out it is a 6 gal kit. My question is this: Would I be voiding waranty, or ruining the outcome of the wine if I used the kit and made a 5 gallon batch, or should I just bite the bullett and order a 6 gallon carboy?

If the end results is just having a stronger peach flavor or higher alcohol content, I would not be upset, but if I would risk the integrity of the kit, I do not want to take chances.

Also, I find, by reading instructions, that this kit yields a supprisingly low alcohol content. Is there a means of bringing the level up, or should I not play around with that, being that this is my first wine kit.

I am affraid that messing this kit up, could 1.) ruin my interest in kits, 2.) lead my wife to not be so understanding on the price due to the outcome

I wish to make my wine rack full in the comming years, and simply do not want to mess up on my first batch. Please give educated advice.

THanks

Alstang1 - Al

I will try to answer a few of your concerns. First, the WE Island Mist Peach Apricot Chardonnay is not a regular wine kit. It is sort off a cross between a cooler and a regular wine. They include a F-Pack which includes extra flavorings, sweetener and stabilizer. If you make it in the 5 gallon carboy it will have a stronger and sweeter finish to it. If you plan on continuing with this hobby, you will be needing a 6 gallon carboy sooner or later because most of the kits are 6 gallons. The 5 gallon ones come in handy if you get a kit that is short of the full 6 gallons. You can add the extra to smaller jugs with airlocks.

If you make the kit to instructions only with the smaller amount you could keep out just a bit of the f-pack so you don't overpoer the flavors and sweetness. To increase the alcohol in this one which a lot of people do, add 4-5 pounds of table sugar(heat in some of the water needed in the kit), let it cool and add to the primary bucket. Then finish filling to the full mark. If you make it for the 5 gallon, bring the primary up to about 5.5 gallons to give yourself a bit of wiggle room for your first racking. Be sure to check the specific gravity- you want to be in the 1.080-1.090 range for awhite wine. I would opt for the lower value(maybe 3.5-4 pounds in this case).

Good luck with the kit whichever way you decide to go.Remember if you don't make the kit as the kit instructions direct you to that they likely won't stand behind the product if it doesn't turn out well.

Making at 5 gallons will void the warranty. That being said, my SOP with these kits is to add half of the F pack and 2 lbs of sugar to the primary. That yields an abv of about 9.5%. I then sweeten with the other half of the F pack (stored in the fridge until needed). This makes for a less sweet wine with a little more body/kick. This is the way SWMBO and my daughter like them.

why don't you just cancel the 5 gallon carboy get a 6 instead? Can't be more thatn $10-15 more?

Steve in KC said:
why don't you just cancel the 5 gallon carboy get a 6 instead? Can't be more thatn $10-15 more?

Already received the 5 gal at the house. I can't cancel. I just went ahead and ordered a 6 gallon today, with sterilizer, and some IslandMist lables. I sould be good to go on that part of it.

PeterZ said:
Making at 5 gallons will void the warranty. That being said, my SOP with these kits is to add half of the F pack and 2 lbs of sugar to the primary. That yields an abv of about 9.5%. I then sweeten with the other half of the F pack (stored in the fridge until needed). This makes for a less sweet wine with a little more body/kick. This is the way SWMBO and my daughter like them.

Mr. Z, If I want to have the maximum sweetness, and have acquired a 6 gallon jug, I would assume that I just save the F pack until instructions say to add it. I would also assume that the extra ABV comes from the extra sugar. If I do not use any of the F pack in the primary, would 2 lbs of sugar still do the trick, or would I need to add a bit more?

appleman said:
To increase the alcohol in this one which a lot of people do, add 4-5 pounds of table sugar(heat in some of the water needed in the kit), let it cool and add to the primary bucket. Then finish filling to the full mark. If you make it for the 5 gallon, bring the primary up to about 5.5 gallons to give yourself a bit of wiggle room for your first racking. Be sure to check the specific gravity- you want to be in the 1.080-1.090 range for awhite wine. I would opt for the lower value(maybe 3.5-4 pounds in this case).

Good luck with the kit whichever way you decide to go.Remember if you don't make the kit as the kit instructions direct you to that they likely won't stand behind the product if it doesn't turn out well.

Mr. Apple, Thanks for all the input there. It is obvious you put some time into that information. I do have a few questions. 1.) On the SG, is that the target density, with the 3.5 lbs sugar added, or the SG target at kit directions? 2.) The ABV info you gave was based on a 6 gallon mix, correct? 3.) So long as I follow the directions to a "T", and add sugar for ABV boost, I should havevery little risk of messing this kit up right? I know that sterilization is important, and I have well water, so I plan on using Ozarka spring water (although, reading the parameters on Ozarka, im not impressed). I bought the stick on thermoters, so that I can track temp at all times. What am I forgetting?

Thanks for everyones help.

Al

First, if you drink your well water, you should be able to use that just fine. A few minerals are actually good for it.
1)The kit will likely be about 1.065-1.070 as made to 6 gallons. For a full 6 gallons you will need about 4 pounds, maybe 5 to bring the SG up to 1.085 or so.
2)The ABV is based on a full 6 gallons with the added sugar.
3)Follow the directions, practice sanitation and you should have a very good wine to drink in a few months for summertime.

Just save the F pack for the full sweetness of the wine. Added sugar per Appleman's instructions will up the abv.

wine3.jpg

wine2.jpg

wine1.jpg

Above are the shots of my wine after racking from primary to secondary. As you can see from the pic's, I have about an inch to inch and half of sediment in the bottom of secondary. Also, the color is quite a bit different than what I expected. I followed all directions to a "T", including not adding extra sugar for higher ABV. I waited, as per instructions, until SG was at 1.010 before racking. Now in the secondary, I am still getting quite a bit of fermintation releasing gasses. I am just curious if everthing appears to be normal. Ooh, also, as per the instructions, I did attempt to leave most of the sediment in the primary. Guess, without seeing it, I was off my mark.

Bottom line.... Should I be concerned with my results thus far?

Al

Now comes your next dilema Alstang. When you get ready to rack that to another carboy..guess what !! You need another 6 gallon one....so now you will have two 6 gallon carboys, will get very excited when you taste this wine at bottling and will order 2-3 more different kinds of kits, then you realize you have only one fermentsr so you will order two more, now you realize with two kits you are going to need even more carboys.........It becomes a viscious cycle that will never end buddy !!! Edited by: Waldo

That color and sediment looks fine for the kit you are making. When it clears it will be a nice amber color and the taste should be incredible.

Waldo said:
Now comes your next dilema Alstang. When you get ready to rack that to another carboy..guess what !! You need another 6 gallon one....so now you will have two 6 gallon carboys, will get very excited when you taste this wine at bottling and will order 2-3 more different kinds of kits, then you realize you have only one fermentsr so you will order two more, now you realize with two kits you are going to need even more carboys.........It becomes a viscious cycle that will never end buddy !!!

Well you see... the problem there.... the wife gave me 2 options.

1. only 1 batch at a time mixed and kept in the kitchen

2. put an A.C. unit in the garage to stabilize temp and keep everything in the garage.

It is the wrong time of year for buying an A.C. window unit at walmart so...... :)

Thanks for the input Apple. You remember back to your first batch don't you? If you are anything similar to me, you were probibally concerned when things appeared differently than you thought they would. I am just wanting this thing perfect so the wife will let me buy more kits. hehe.

Al

Edited by: Alstang1

Looking good there Alstang, this is a very tasty kit and probably 1 of the only 1's I wouldnt up the abv on to much.

Thanks Wade. Cant wait to try it. From all the posts I have read on the Peach Apricot, I see it has great reviews. I don't think I found one post that spoke negatively of this kit. I will be sampeling it at the earliest possible date.

It is great and I wouldnt modify that kit as it is delicately put together and perfect.

Ok I racked this to secondary on the 22nd. Kit was started on 2-17 at 11pm. Today is the 25th, and it appears that fermintation has stopped. Temp is 75 (according to stick on thermometer). I checked SG just because I could not stand waiting and doing nothing :)

SG is .998

Does everything sound normal here?

Al

This is a good SG for this type of kit, if you have not checked a few days in a row then do so by all means but this is most likely a finished SG and when checked in a few more days to determine that it is stable and it is then proceed to next step. Everything is going good.

Well I did it, and here are a few pic's.

Enjoy

5 minutes after adding clearing agent. Amazingly fast working.
Wineafterclear.jpg

Close up of clearing agent working 5 minutes after mix

Wineafterclear2.jpg

6 hours after clearing - 2 pic's. left is very slow shutter speed while right is dummies settings. i.e. point and shoot mode.

Clear6hrs.jpg
Clear6hrs2.jpg

High res shot of the floaties 5 minutes after clearing agent added
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/alstang1/0292.jpg

I am excited to see it tomorrow.

Notice the sediment in bottom. In 6 hours it has settled out quite a bit. Is this going to be completely gone at any point or will I have to work around it while racking? Should I attempt to rack now to get rid of it, and the let settle 14 days, or leave it alone? I saw the other post in here today saying that he transfered to primary and it got very cloudy. How is this avoidable?

Thanks

AlEdited by: Alstang1

Let it sit until all the wine is clear. This will let the lees compact also and that 3" of sediment will be reduced to 1 1/2" and wont be so easy to stir up, this way you can also get more of your wine out. Another trick is to put a wedge under 1 side to get most of the sediment on 1 side, this way when you put your racking cane in where the sediment is shallow and get more wine with less chance of sucking up any lees.

That looks real good. We are doing a WE Symphony and the instructions said to rack after 8 days of clearing. Wade, Joeswine and Appleman advised us to let it go for another 2-3 weeks, that these kits take longer. Glad we aredoing that now.I am looking forward to racking into another carboy so I can taste it. The coloron yours looks amazing. It's nice to see the pictures and how it changes.

Latest posts

Back