WineXpert WE Luna Bianca Best of Show

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Drunken Friar Cellars
Reaction score
A WE Luna Bianca I made a year ago and did the battonage method Tim Vandergrift described here took Best of Show this year at the Nebraska State Fair. I really have to thank the extra battonage step for boosting this wine over the top. If any of you decide to order a LB kit, I'd highly recommend trying it.

smiley32.gif
Congrats Gule G!

Congratulations, Rule G!!! Whooohooo! That is fantastic!!! You must be thrilled! That is no easy feat!

congratulations~!

help me w understanding this quote:"
By stirring the yeast into suspension repeatedly you get the benefits of the amino acids they carry, along with a host of compounds—principally mannoproteins, which give they creamy aroma and mouth feel. "

So this would be protein from the dead yeast cells?Edited by: Al Fulchino

You are right Al. They will compounds such as mannoproteins and amino acids and polysaccharides which will give some white wines a buttery creamy taste and mouthfeel and reds more body and aroma.

ok that is fascinating....now let me ask you this.....what other wines does this work for and are there any that we had just better never try this on? and if so why?

I dont think any white wines that should be crisp and clean like a Chablis, Chenin Blanc or Sauvignon Blanc would benefit from this or wines to this liking. I think that most other wines will benefit from this. Another term is called Sur Lie. Do a Google search and you would find quite a bit of info on these subjects.

apparently some people think stirring can affect the ageability of wines:

http://www.brsquared.org/wine/Articles/surlie/surlie.htm

"Dom. Fran�ois Jobard (Meursault, Burgundy), who makes "some of Meursault's tightest and long-lived wines" according to Pierre-Antoine Rovani [Parker, 2000], goes a step further. Jobard leaves his wines on gross lees for over a year, rarely stirring the lees and never stirring the fine lees while his wines are in barrel. He believes that stirring results in a faster evolution in the bottle. He reasons that this is because residual carbon dioxide (remaining from fermentation), which would otherwise protect wines against oxidation, is lost during stirring. "

Very good news Rule G! Congrats on an excellent win.

Al:
Battonage can cause off flavors in red wines, resulting in a bacon fat type of mouthfeel and taste. it it much better suited to whites.

What an awesome idea, I have a Pinot Griggio that just underwent first rack, I'm gonna try this!

frank

denton, texas

Edited by: ntx_man

Back