Other Water?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Was going to start my first Mist kit tonight and realized that I accidentally bought spring water with fluoride added. Think that'd be a problem?

I wouldn't think it would be noticeable. Tap water is still good for kits and it has fluoride so I don't think there would be a negative chemical reaction. I would use it, and check closer next time :)

I have not noticed a fluoride label on the spring water I've used. I need to check closer too.

OOOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGG!!!!!!
I think my brain almost crashed. I've bought over 90 gallons of spring water in the last 3 months for kits and wines. I honestly have thought I was safe in the water dept., fighting this KT problem and all. I know what I'll be doing for the next hour or so.... Research..., which is what I thought I was already doing. Just not on spring water..:c :)

Last edited:
...and later in the Boatboy household...."Honey, can you have the kids brush their teeth? No need sweetie pie, I just gave them some of that wine with the flouride in it, they should be fine for tonight, and I bet they sleep really well to boot"....

You now can see glipmses of my warped mind. I should have gone for a marketing career.

Was going to start my first Mist kit tonight and realized that I accidentally bought spring water with fluoride added. Think that'd be a problem?

There's so much artificial flavor in Mist kits that you could start out with dirty mud puddle water and you wouldn't ever notice it.

There's so much artificial flavor in Mist kits that you could start out with dirty mud puddle water and you wouldn't ever notice it.

I think you took the words out of my mouth....::

Personally, if spring water regardless what it has I'd go use it.

Fluoride has the ability to inhibit some of the enzymes that bacteria and yeast use to break down carbohydrates (enolase, for one). I don't know if this is of practical significance, as I've read of many people who use tap water in their wine making, which is likely fluoridated (and chlorinated, in some way). It's probably ok, but I only use spring water of the non-fluoridated variety for my kit wines, just to be safe.
But I do like the idea of wine as a dental health adjunct...

It's worth the time of study. It can be a very touchy subject with some. It is all around us in many ways. Personally I think we are better off Not having so much of it coming into our bodies. But then again some people think wine is a poison. I think it (wine) is a medicine if you keep it under a bottle or two a day. :h And don't forget the apple.

As a matter of interest has anybody tried using RO water ?

I ask this question having just got into Marine Aquariums were I have to make it and it's basically 100% pure water with all the dissolved solids removed

This thread got me wondering.

Update: evidently, fluoride does not hinder fermentation - at least not in the quantities present in this water. I pitched the yeast about 9:30 last night. At 6:00am, there were visible signs of fermentation.

Update: evidently, fluoride does not hinder fermentation - at least not in the quantities present in this water. I pitched the yeast about 9:30 last night. At 6:00am, there were visible signs of fermentation.

Thanks for the info.

Is there a preference of bottled spring water vs standard bottled (filtered) water? I went to the store to buy filtered water, but they only had spring water in the gallon jugs on hand at the time. (the other was sold out?!?) So that is what I have on hand.

Is there a preference of bottled spring water vs standard bottled (filtered) water? I went to the store to buy filtered water, but they only had spring water in the gallon jugs on hand at the time. (the other was sold out?!?) So that is what I have on hand.

I prefer spring vs filtered. But that's my preference for drinking as well. The filtered water usually has other stuff in it.

As an example, I'm drinking a bottle of Dasani that came with my lunch. Ingredients: purified water, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, salt.

As a matter of interest has anybody tried using RO water ?

I ask this question having just got into Marine Aquariums were I have to make it and it's basically 100% pure water with all the dissolved solids removed

This thread got me wondering.

I have used it before and the results were fine. The only issue I might be concerned with is the lack of minerals that might help with yeast health. I think I'm using a membrane rated for 10 - 15 gallon per day and my total hardness tested around 20 ppm when I first got it. I'm sure it may have raised up a bit higher than that and should probably invest in a new membrane.

I too originally purchased it as it was nearly impossible to make regular water changes and still breed Amazon basin tetras. Right now I only have a few neons in a 50 gallon tank and every now and then their ranks grow as they breed (and eat the eggs) all the time in the tank. So I think the membrane is actually still okay.

My main use is for sparge water with all grain batches of beer. It is easier to maintain a good pH for the sparge without all those buffering carbonates in the water.

Latest posts

Back