Quantcast

Water wine

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Vinobeau

Reaction score
Other than taste & body, are there any reasons why you couldn't or shouldn't make an alcoholic beverage out of just water, sugar, nutrient, acid blend and yeast? Calling it wine is certainly a little presumptuous.

vineyarddog

Reaction score
I did this earlier in the summer. My plan was to flavor and carbonate like a hard seltzer but I instead just bottled it flat & plain and then mixed with flavored sparkling water. It actually wasn’t that bad!

Vinobeau

Reaction score
Aren't flavor and body two of the critical things that make a wine pleasurable. If you just want the ethanol for a buzz then own that, but wine is more than just the ABV.
Yes, but after reading Keller's notes about the amounts of fruit and his suggestion of doing second runs of wine; I was thinking that having something to add that was neutral but with alcohol might be useful. Whether for just topping up a carboy or diluting a wine, this would be an option. Also, a cheap low alcohol Vodka!

Steve Wargo

Enthusiast DIYer
Reaction score
Other than taste & body, are there any reasons why you couldn't or shouldn't make an alcoholic beverage out of just water, sugar, nutrient, acid blend and yeast? Calling it wine is certainly a little presumptuous.
It's called a sugar wash. Distillers make it, then distill it.

Kate Lauren

Junior
Reaction score
I would like it by adding some fresh fruit, some fruit juice and a splash of brandy, perhaps turn that bottle around into something more appealing.

mikewatkins727

Well beyond middle age
Reaction score
Yes, but after reading Keller's notes about the amounts of fruit and his suggestion of doing second runs of wine; I was thinking that having something to add that was neutral but with alcohol might be useful. Whether for just topping up a carboy or diluting a wine, this would be an option. Also, a cheap low alcohol Vodka!
I have done that to use as a top up juice for batches that run short during racking. Shot for 10 % abv, made 1 gallon and put it up in beer bottles. Next time (if there is one) I might use bananas or some other mild fruit.

winemanden

Reaction score
The trouble is making water wine, it's a Ghost wine. Aint got no body!!!:D:D:D

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
Top off juice is one of the best ideas I have seen, why haven’t I been doing this?
I have done that to use as a top up juice for batches that run short during racking. Shot for 10 % abv, made 1 gallon and put it up in beer bottles. Next time (if there is one) I might use bananas or some other mild fruit.