Water wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinobeau

Reaction score
Other than taste & body, are there any reasons why you couldn't or shouldn't make an alcoholic beverage out of just water, sugar, nutrient, acid blend and yeast? Calling it wine is certainly a little presumptuous.

I did this earlier in the summer. My plan was to flavor and carbonate like a hard seltzer but I instead just bottled it flat & plain and then mixed with flavored sparkling water. It actually wasn’t that bad!

Aren't flavor and body two of the critical things that make a wine pleasurable. If you just want the ethanol for a buzz then own that, but wine is more than just the ABV.
Yes, but after reading Keller's notes about the amounts of fruit and his suggestion of doing second runs of wine; I was thinking that having something to add that was neutral but with alcohol might be useful. Whether for just topping up a carboy or diluting a wine, this would be an option. Also, a cheap low alcohol Vodka!

I would like it by adding some fresh fruit, some fruit juice and a splash of brandy, perhaps turn that bottle around into something more appealing.

Yes, but after reading Keller's notes about the amounts of fruit and his suggestion of doing second runs of wine; I was thinking that having something to add that was neutral but with alcohol might be useful. Whether for just topping up a carboy or diluting a wine, this would be an option. Also, a cheap low alcohol Vodka!
I have done that to use as a top up juice for batches that run short during racking. Shot for 10 % abv, made 1 gallon and put it up in beer bottles. Next time (if there is one) I might use bananas or some other mild fruit.

Other than taste & body, are there any reasons why you couldn't or shouldn't make an alcoholic beverage out of just water, sugar, nutrient, acid blend and yeast? Calling it wine is certainly a little presumptuous.
The trouble is making water wine, it's a Ghost wine. Aint got no body!!!:D:D:D

Top off juice is one of the best ideas I have seen, why haven’t I been doing this?
I have done that to use as a top up juice for batches that run short during racking. Shot for 10 % abv, made 1 gallon and put it up in beer bottles. Next time (if there is one) I might use bananas or some other mild fruit.

Might be a good idea to make a few lots with different acid and tannin levels prefermentation which might integrate better when added to wine for corrective purposes

LOL! My friend made this years ago, he called it A$$ wine, because of the taste!

Last edited:
as mentioned above, this is typically just used as a basis for making a "wash" for distilling spirits. I use it for gin in particular, minus tannin and acid balance, as they don't matter at that stage.

Latest posts

Back